Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Paestar
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Yep...I'm Really Doing This. (New AND Determined :)

TLDR: "14 and 11 at the same time? Are you CRAZY?!?"

Yes, I must be crazy. Insane. Deranged. Unhinged. But when it really comes down to it...I think I've really missed Final Fantasy.

It all started back in '95 that one night I rented FF2/4j, and ended up playing an 8pm-4am marathon. No doubt I was hooked on RPGs in general, and Final Fantasy in particular, following the series to the Playstations.

But when XI appeared, I hesitated. Not only did it have a higher hardware requirement (plus internet connectivity), but it also required the scary concept of playing with *gulp* other people...LOTS of other people. < So I skipped it, as I imagine many others did.

It wouldn't be until 2009 that I would FINALLY try the MMORPG genre via World of Warcraft, and finally caught on to its appeal. At some point during the years following, I did try FFXI as a trial, but it looked (and played) rather archaic compared to WoW, and just didn't do it for me. (Having gotten used to keyboard control - where XI is weak - really didn't help.) And soon XIV would appear, and we know how it started badly. Not that I minded; at the time there was still a lot in WoW for me to discover.

But then this last year...

A Realm Reborn happened. The holiday pricing this last December happened. Me falling to its temptation happened. And after a long time - since WoW had swept aside FFXII - I was once again playing a Final Fantasy title that happened to be an MMO...and LOVING it.

"But what does this have to do with Final Fantasy XI?"

Well, the crossovers happened. The brickmen invaded from Dragon Quest X. And that crazy rhyming Shantotto with her crazy huge puppet invaded from FFXI. And seeing that just made me wonder about that OTHER FF MMO.

So...I did ANOTHER trial run for Final Fantasy XI, and this time I decided to play it with a controller "as nature intended".

And...I LIKE it.

Yes, it's still clunky and archaic. Yes, ARR has taken many of its concepts and presents then in a much smoother and polished manner. But it's still INTERESTING. And due to its age, there a LOT of content to discover, just as I experienced with WoW. Most of all, that fact that it requires more determination and time than its successor is not a roadblock...it actually makes me want to PLAY XI more than ARR to ensure it DOES get played!

So it has happened. WoW is earning a nice long well-earned vacation. In its place is not one but TWO Final Fantasy MMOs. It's good to be back in the series.

The name is Paestar. You might run into me on Carbuncle. Just...don't expect to see me at level cap for a while. It seems that there's 11 years worth of content that will require savoring.

p.s. I'm actually kind of glad DQX isn't released in English...otherwise I'd REALLY be in trouble.
    (1)

Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Welcome to the game!
    I hope you have great adventures on Carbuncle!
    (0)

If you're early enough in that you want a group of people, there's a Reddit LS for new people on Asura, and there's SanelyInsane on Ragnarok that will help you out. That's if you don't mind starting over, but 6 levels is less than an hour's work.
    (0)

Character
    Paestar
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Well, I've already started over once. When I picked up the Seeker collection, I made the mistake of registering it to a new account instead of upgrading my trial...whoops! ;P

Thanks for the offer, but I'll just go ahead and stay put. I actually made some decent progress last night. (Loving the new Trust...does that make me the XI equivalent of WoW's "Wrath Baby"? )
    (0)

Welcome, FFXIV is nothing compared to this wonderful game.
    (3)

Character
    Unctgtg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I currently play 11 and 14 together and have no problem. I also currently work 65 hrs and go to school with 13 credit hrs.
    (1)
    99 Drk, 99 Sch, 99 Bst, 99 Geo and a ton of other jobs there
    110 +5 Bonecraft
    Level 99 Relic Scythe

Character
    Paestar
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Alright, so maybe I should give an update. I haven't responded in a while because I've been too busy actually playing the game.

My RDM has made it to 41. (For some reason, my banner to the left still says 13.) Yes, no level cap yet as I thought. Of course, it doesn't really help that since the Seeker bundle has EVERYTHING, I keep getting distracted by moments of "ooh,shiny!"

But while there's a TON of things I can be doing with my Trust party, there's certain things I really WANT to do that elude me, as actual party making is required. I'd really like to get the Windurst missions to rank 4, but I've hit a wall on "Written in the Stars"...and its name is Three Mage Gate. (Waits as a shudder passes through the forums.) And while there's a means to sneak in to the canals, the prerequisite quests (on "Blue Ribbon Blues") will STILL require help with levers along the way. Yes, I can skip this mission, but just knowing that IT'S THERE is gonna bug me. ;P

So yes...it's Linkshell time.

Yelling in Jeuno hasn't bore any fruit yet, and I don't want to turn into a spammer. And the Carbuncle page on this forum seems a bit...dead.

So I ask you...can anyone recommend a casual/social LS who'd be willing to take on a lore-hungry newbie who'll occasionally(?) need help with old content? Please? <
    (0)
    Last edited by Paestar; 02-22-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unctgtg View Post
    I currently play 11 and 14 together and have no problem. I also currently work 65 hrs and go to school with 13 credit hrs.
    Yeah well we can't all afford time machines
    (3)

Character
    Paestar
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Yeah well we can't all afford time machines
    ...or that little hourglass trinket Herminoe has.

But you know what? My FFXIV time has dwindled to a TRICKLE because of XI here. Seriously.
    (1)

Character
    Alighieri
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 18
    You're not the only one mate. Vergil Alighieri here and leader of the FC on Excalibur has also come back to the old school because im an old fool whos so cool. ROFL but yea I just started up today and by far am loving the Trust NPCs to help with the solo leveling. Since 2.2 isnt until end of march FFXI will have A LOT of content to hold me until the new patch for FFXIV: ARR. Its been about 8 years for me i think since i last played XI but even though i Started today i feel the excitement of playing a new game lol
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast