Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1

Thoughts on Relic Armor upgrade

Though I personally prefer the look of the relic armor for my job of choice over artifact, I just don't see myself bothering with whatever process you'll be putting in place to raise it to 119.

Basically, looking back at what you've done with the artifact armor it seems we'll be heavily encouraged to first upgrade our relic armor to the +1 and/or +2 versions first. But with regards to the +1 version I'll be damned if I spend Dynamis currency on anything but a relic weapon. And my personal experience with the "Forgotten" items necessary to upgrade to +2 is that they are too annoyingly rare a drop, to the point where I am still well shy of 30 of any one type of them (let alone 50) after all this time since their introduction.

Really, I'm not sure relic armor +2 was ever comparable to the effort-to-reward ratio of empyrean armor +2.

So while it's nice that you're introducing some sort of path to upgrade relic armor to make it a viable choice today, my experiences with what "relic armor upgrades" have meant in the past keep me from believing that whatever you have planned this time around will be something I'll want to do.
    (4)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Twille
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I'm curious as to why they're only upgrading 3 pieces of Relic to 119 rather than all 5
    (1)

Character
    Rentwokay
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 75
    To artificially extend interest in the content.
    (1)

Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    Though I personally prefer the look of the relic armor for my job of choice over artifact, I just don't see myself bothering with whatever process you'll be putting in place to raise it to 119.

Basically, looking back at what you've done with the artifact armor it seems we'll be heavily encouraged to first upgrade our relic armor to the +1 and/or +2 versions first. But with regards to the +1 version I'll be damned if I spend Dynamis currency on anything but a relic weapon. And my personal experience with the "Forgotten" items necessary to upgrade to +2 is that they are too annoyingly rare a drop, to the point where I am still well shy of 30 of any one type of them (let alone 50) after all this time since their introduction.

Really, I'm not sure relic armor +2 was ever comparable to the effort-to-reward ratio of empyrean armor +2.

So while it's nice that you're introducing some sort of path to upgrade relic armor to make it a viable choice today, my experiences with what "relic armor upgrades" have meant in the past keep me from believing that whatever you have planned this time around will be something I'll want to do.
    Currency is fairly cheap and the only forgotten items that are expensive are head and body which most likely be the 2 slots they leave out. Also the forgotten items are only rare off EPs go to the DC(or what used to be DC) and they drop pretty good. Only thing I'm wondering is if augmented relic gear will keep the augments by just adding them to the reforged or will we have to restart with the base item.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    If you haven't gotten your forgottens you apparently have never spent any amount of money on them and hardly ever do Dynamis, I have never done a Dynamis run since its re-release and not walked out with less than 4, more often than not I walked out with around 7, which puts me at 4~8 runs apiece. They are by no means hard to get, skipping +1 is cheaper than doing it anyways, and on your server looking at the prices for things everything except head would cost you between 250~500k at most, assuming you have none already and farm no more, head you could farm Thoughts for if you went to Dynamis. As for getting the money, if you lack any as is you can easily go do any of the Limited Time Objectives for Records and sell the Plutons from them, your server seems to average 100~110k right now, so that can help with money as well as currency from farming if you wish to sell it, which only gets you closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Twille View Post
    I'm curious as to why they're only upgrading 3 pieces of Relic to 119 rather than all 5
    Depending on how they go about the upgrades its possible they simply do not think they will have time to implement the content for which they wish to add the drops for the other 2 pieces.
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Twille View Post
    This update is REALLY large....
    I mean, new enemies, new missions, new quests, new area, new skirmish, new gear, new CSs.... that's a LOT of data to be sent... so the 3/5 thing is probably just due to limits set on how big updates are allowed...........
    Probably.

Though on topic I have 4 feelings about the relic upgrades:

1) YäY! more iLv for my TH-THF and SMN!

2) >:[ Morrigan and I disapprove of this special treatment RUN and GEO are getting over the other jobs.... A diddly little quest (more likely a questline)? I would have had no problem with the 109 relic update requiring +2/+2A relic pieces had the relics for RUN and GEO dropped randomly in dynamis areas... I mean, it was a given that they'd be at least 109... but with RUN and GEO's ease at getting 5/5 (not)relic pieces... ANY version of the relic pieces better be 109-able.
    It's gonna be some pretty big BS for RUN and GEO's not-empy sets coming out of the box in "109 +2 form" with no effort in making them.

3) RUN and GEO's not-relic better not be on slip 06....

4) I hope the bring back a bunch of the lost stats from the +2 to the relics. If only for diversity... since it seems we're returning to the 75 era where you have the luxury(?) of choosing between AF1+1 and AF2+1 for each slot... and them both being "equal".
    (Only now it will be RF1+1 RF2+1 and RF3+1! and they'll all be 119!)

And, Ziyyigo-Tipyigo, it really depends on the job.
    For instance, SMN's AF2+2 hands FAR exceed the usefulness of AF3+2 hands... by like a bajillion.
    And then you have the TH on Thief's relic hands... so it's really a by-slot evaluation rather than a whole set comparison.
    (1)

I'd really like for them to slightly increase the drop rate of forgotten items. I spent 1.5 hours in dyna-beau last night, killed mobs like no one's business - WITH TH2 from thf sub and got only 3 items. That really really really sucks.
    (1)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Player
    Did you kill the old EP mobs or the DC mobs?
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post
    Did you kill the old EP mobs or the DC mobs?
    I can't tell, everything checks incredibly easy and I never farmed it before. I don't think it should matter. It was like a 1-2% drop rate with TH2 - that's garbage.
    (0)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

MORE TIME-SINK PLEASE!!!!

when have I heard that before? oh, right, never!
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast