Page 154 of 296 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 204 254 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2954
    Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    You pick something and grind it, the game is going nowhere and nothing is going away. Every 6 months in FF14 your gear invalidated and all progress reset. Not sure how you think FF14 is "play at your own pace" when it adds new raid tiers that make all your gear pointless every 6 months and every expansion every 3 years completely resets the game from scratch. Meanwhile FF11 has had the same gear with sidegrades for 5+ years now.
    Nothing forces you to do the newest (or even the older) raids in FFXIV, though.
    You can play for a bit to see the new dungeons, etc then take a break. This is how the game was designed.

And using the same equipment for 5 years is awful boring, there's no sense in progression. You get a new piece of gear and you maybe, might do 1% more performance. Wow. That doesn't really make me feel like I accomplished anything.

With FFXIV, if I clear the latest dungeons and buy a piece of the latest tomestone gear, the progression is real. I can FEEL the difference in my character's performance without needing to bust out a calculator and a parse and go kill 1,000 mobs to get a large enough sample size to see that 1% performance increase. I see the difference right there and then.

I don't want to use the same equipment for 5+ years. I don't really understand people who do (no offense meant). In FFXIV, I'll keep around old equipment occasionally for changing jobs or for glamours but otherwise... I don't care if it's replaced two months, or even two weeks later. That's called progress. I like progress. I like feeling like I achieved something, I enjoy feeling growth in my character.

I like the resets that come with expansions, gives me a time to, indeed, catch up, and gives other players time to catch up, and it gives fresh newbies a chance to get right into the scene with other players, keeps things shaken up. It gets boring if the same group of people are always in current content and everybody else is still climbing the ladder underneath them. Nobody new to play with, it's the same people you see doing the same stuff over and over again. If it weren't for the fact development on this game ceased, that's what you'd have as there's hardly ever any catchup here outside of the very campaigns you speak so much against. Do you like playing with the same group of people and never seeing anybody new? I think that would get boring after awhile.

As for FFXIV, I don't need to be in the newest Savage or Ex Primals to enjoy the game. 90% of the rest of the game's content is open to me, the person who only goes as far as Normal Raids and Expert Roulettes, and I can indeed pick and choose my grind. Do I feel like doing Expert? No? Ok, I can let it go and do it another day and still keep within 30 item-level of the best gear which is plenty good enough for me outside of Savage Raids. Do I feel like crafting my daily stuff today? No? No sweat, I can slide it to the side and pick up on that another day; they will let me catch up later.

I can play the game when I want, as much as I want, and have fun either way. I don't need to feel like I'm falling behind, and even if you did, you know what? I blew through Heavensward in like 3 months going from lv50->60+Expert Roulettes. Now obviously I would have liked to have seen some of that content when it was relevant, but that's going to happen in any MMO. I'm just glad the chance to catch-up before Stormblood was there. If that were FFXI, there would have been monstrous road-blocks that required groups and I would have never seen the story fights until years later when they became solo-able like Aht Urhgan. You know, I JUST saw the Aht Urhgan missions about a month ago for the very first time, despite me being an active player since late Zilart (I did take two hiatuses, but that was well after WotG).

Why didn't I see them when AU was current? Well because it was "need group for this, need group for that, VT/IT everywhere, can't do anything solo, blah blah". No catchups, nothing. Get Group or Go Home hardline mentality that was just a huge roadblock in front of you. I didn't have a linkshell at the time (I was in one that did Promathia missions, got lucky enough to get into a static, but they broke up right after we finished), so I was out of luck. Didn't really have anything to offer a linkshell at the time (I wasn't able to get into endgame, and because I had nothing to offer, nobody wanted me, the shells at the time were already rather saturated with newbie players).

What I'm trying to get at here, is you rail on FF14 for having "no content", but to be honest, FF14 allows me to play 90% of its game while it's current content, while FFXI doesn't. We still have "get linkshell or go home" stuff, and it is sadly, most of what there is to do in FFXI once you finish all of the outdated/obsolete/old stuff. I'm running out of things to do in FFXI, and all I got left is WotG, Adoulin, and San d'Oria missions. Once I get those done, I'm having a hard time coming up with anything else to do, except maybe Abyssea. And I can't see myself being interested in that for long, because the whole thing just looks like a confusing mess of mobs to pop that don't always drop the items to pop the next one. Dunno who thought THAT was a good idea. Ah well.

Either way, when that stuff runs out, what is there to even DO in FFXI anymore when everything requires a group, but nobody is recruiting? And no, "Move to Asura" is not the answer. It shouldn't be the answer. Ever.
    (1)
    Last edited by Aysha; 08-27-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Character
    Kitori
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Gonna repost this in cerb recruitment thread.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shiyo; 08-28-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    *Lots of stuff about gear, expansions, content, progression*
    On the gear front of expansions not obsoleting equipment, it really only applies to major time investment ones such as Relic weapons in FFXI. I would love if more MMOs let gear be upgraded with new expansions like what XI has done. Mostly because sometimes lower gear ends up with some really nice stat spreads and special effects, that can be very hard to replace. I'd assume most on the side of not having gear obsoleted, are not against new and better gear being added, its more of wanting significant investments to stay relevant.

The campaigns don't force one to just do that event, plenty of times since returning have ignored the events because had other things needed to do. They really are there just to help focus a dwindling player base into some events to hopefully have people group up.

XIs biggest problem I have seen over the years is new player retention. Which is mostly due to the game never holding your hand with things like annoying giant ?s over quest givers that theme park MMOs have, and how group reliant the game has been over the years. The more you make a game feel like a theme parks haunted house ride, the more you run into the problem of content being devoured faster than it can be made.

XI has its problems, but XIVs route of becoming another WoW clone isn't the right answer either. I'm likely in the minority, but always thought that XIV had more potential before all the changes that lead to ARR and its WoW clone status. Was just lacking story content and a bad UI implementation for a company that had a good MMO already up and running.
    (4)

Character
    Senan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 70
    I, for one, couldn't be happier that XI doesn't utilize that same gear treadmill that so many other games do. In fact, it's one of the many reasons I was drawn to the game. Gear seems like more than a meaningless pixel in a game like this because, with some of it, you really have to work your ass off for it and you feel a sense of accomplishment every time you use it (at least that's how I see it). If I get something that I just replace in a few months, weeks, or even days, what was that? Did I just rent that sword I was using? Should I take it to a proper recycling facility now?

One of the best examples that I can think of is with classic Everquest and epic weapons. It would literally take months to get everything you needed to make it and there was nothing so rewarding as getting it finished. I love that there are things similar to that in XI and I'm looking forward to the chance to make some of them when I get more time for the game.

I also like that even though some items may not be BIS as far as raw damage goes, the effects they offer can make up for it in certain situations (which tends to highlight a much more interesting itemization system as well imo, rather than just new pixels with marginally higher stats and nothing else). It was the same with many clickie items and epics in EQ (some of which are still useful, even to this day). That kind of meaningful value and utility made me feel more attached to my gear. Even if I use the same weapon for 5 years, it just means I can look at it now and then and think, "Damn, we've seen some stuff, haven't we?"

All that said, I'm glad we have at least a few options for that style of gear progression. There are already hundreds of choices out there with the "perpetual carrot on a stick/gimme moar shinies" model; let us have one or two that do things differently.

(No offense intended to anyone that prefers the opposite, btw. Just stating my opinion as well.)
    (8)
    Last edited by Seillan; 08-29-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Character
    Primitive
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

gil

i dont see why se puts all these restrictions on us because some people sell gil, when in record keeper SE sells gil. its tit for tat. would like to be able to send more than 1 mil without having to trust a friend to trade it.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawklaser View Post
    XI has its problems, but XIVs route of becoming another WoW clone isn't the right answer either. I'm likely in the minority, but always thought that XIV had more potential before all the changes that lead to ARR and its WoW clone status. Was just lacking story content and a bad UI implementation for a company that had a good MMO already up and running.
    You're in the minority, but I agree. Lots needed to happen with ARR. Getting rid of all the unique classes and removing the ability to use all class abilities on all classes and deleting most of the spells ... really made the game boring for me.
    (2)
    http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s19.photobucket.com/user/soulchld4/media/Olorinus-Signature.jpg.html

Character
    Primitive
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

sparks

would be nice if we could select the number or a particular sparks item we want to purchase as opposed to singly doing 300 for the shield quests.
    (0)

If this has been mentioned before, I'm sorry. But if not then: All versions of NMs should count towards overall clear goals. RoE, Moogle Trial, etc.

If I happen to be in Nyzul and good old Tom happens to be there, I should get the credit for killing it. It's one of the only place that allows for NMs all across the world to gather.
    (1)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Kishr
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Please,
    Add a crystal hoarding menu.
    Similar to ffxiv
    Having to delete 40 stacks of crystals is a pain.
    Just make a menu for it to save it
    Like a crystal sack or something
    Not sure how to explain it but I want that.
    Thanks
    (0)

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishr View Post
    Please,
    Add a crystal hoarding menu.
    Similar to ffxiv
    Having to delete 40 stacks of crystals is a pain.
    Just make a menu for it to save it
    Like a crystal sack or something
    Not sure how to explain it but I want that.
    Thanks
    There is something. Go trade the crystals to an ephemral(sp?) moogle and they will store them. I know there is one in Bastok in the goldsmithing guild, pretty sure they will be in windy and sandy near a guild too, and can also unlock one for your mog garden.

Granted have to retrieve them for crafting, and take up inventory space until trade them for storage. Though even XIV had a limit on how many could carry at a time.
    (0)

Page 154 of 296 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 204 254 ... LastLast