Page 7 of 297 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast
    Player
    Having a mythic weapon doesn't show you have skill, or are good at the game, or anything. It shows you're willing to waste hours and hours of your life working in a game (hint: it's not fun to do this) to get a weapon.

The problem with it is the fact that it's not only the best weapon for some classes (SMN) but it's FAR, FAR beyond anything else in the game. Something is wrong with balance and design when a weapon moves your class from being frowned upon to being wanted in parties. Just one weapon.

There is NO REASON for it to take this long anymore. Back in the day you could work on it while still getting relevant gear, can do it in parties with your friends, and it was fun. It was challenging. It took forever, but it made sense, and you would be doing that content anyways. That is not the case anymore even in the slightest.

Anyone who thinks it should still take this long is wearing nostalgia goggles or has one and wants others to feel the pain it took to get one.
    (3)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    This game never "require" 3rd pt sources. Wiki are written by other players too, and they write down the info without having 3rd pt source to help them.
    Except for the numerous times not even that is enough. Discerning most latents takes an explicitly unauthorized third-party tool of some sort, a parser at minimum. Figuring out "Doctor" status at a Strange Apparatus is a one-in-one-hundred-million shot. Hell, before they let you change map pages, simply finding a Strange Apparatus involved pushing against walls that you'd otherwise have no reason to believe were fake.

A more recent example for me was Abyssea quest "Gift of Light." "Go find so-and-so, he's east of here." No, he's not. I had no reason to believe I had to click on random ???'s, which are not exactly an uncommon thing in an Abyssea area.

If they're given a quest, they look for where to go and what to do next by clicking everything.
    At this point in the game's history, "clicking everything" would be a full-time job (or require a bot).

I'd say it's not very friendly nor accessable to the majority, doesn't mean it's "broken". If a quest can't be completed due to glitch, that's "broken".
    You're right, "broken" is the wrong word. "Broken" implies there was ever a time it wasn't. The correct word is "flawed." It's a bad design and problems have only been compounded through the 11 years of new stuff piled on top of it.

And even "flawed" is generous, since that suggests that it wasn't S-E's intent to hide such information in order to drive the sales of authorized strategy guides (which are likely JP-only at this point).
    (2)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    At this point in the game's history, "clicking everything" would be a full-time job (or require a bot).
    Not just that but I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually honestly think to themselves that a mentality such as 'just talk to every NPC in the game you can find till your quest progresses' is in any way, shape, or form, good game design.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivivivi View Post
    Uncapping, or raising the framerate? Is this even technically possible?
    That is possible, they just haven't done it.
    (0)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post

If someone practiced piano for 10 years they would be better, yes, but thats nothing to do with this at all, this is the same as saying I played RDM for years, someone who has played it for months will not be as good. Nothing in real life demands months of time to obtain it without improving your skills or requiring much skill in the first place, and at the same time will reward you with something only a few people in the world have, it just doesn't happen in our world really so a comparison for that won't really work well.
    This is RPG, how good your CHARACTER is at one thing IS depend on your stat, and your stat came from gears. Pure skill wise, this game doesn't need more than a few day to master a job, it's not a FPS nor FTG, this game simply doesn't require skill that much. If how good your CHARACTER is at one job is not depend on gear, technically everyone can leech RDM up in 1 day, practice playing it for 3 days, and play as good as dedicated RDM.

What seperates a serious RDM player and a leech RDM, is the gear, and it should be gear but not skill. Since the skill cap of this game is low to begin with. I feel someone who is really serious about a job, needs something that requires tons of effort to obtain to begin with. Mythic in this game is the only gear left because everything else can be obtained in weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonjustin View Post
    I never said that was your mentality either. I was saying that with your Ferrari comparison you made it sound as though the reason why someone would want a Mythic or a Ferrari would be because hardly anyone has one, I myself, find this to be completely wrong, and in all honesty, I would sooner sell the car to you then I would keep it for myself if I had one because I have no use for it.
    YOU have no use to it, doesn't mean other people don't want one, and that doesn't mean they're greedy/selfish to want one. What you're trying to do here is to force everyone else to have the same opinion toward rare items like you, then label anyone with different POV selfish/greedy.

Wanting something nobody else have isn't selfish. It's human nature to like rare items or be unique pretty snowflake. As long as they deserve the item, then it isn't selfish. If I cheated for a Ferrari, then I'm selfish and greedy. If I earn enough money to buy one fair and legit, then it's not selfish. Not wanting to Ferrari to lower the price because I think Ferrari should remain "car for rich people" isn't selfish because Ferrari isn't life necessity, you have cheaper cars to buy if you need a car. Not wanting life necessity such as food/house to lower the price is selfish/greedy.

I nail down the fundamental of expensive items. Ok, you don't like to have expensive items to exist so everyone is equal, I don't agree with you. I think everyone should not be equal, because that's how our society/community works, an equal society/community simply doesn't work very well because not everyone is like you.

Btw, last time when someone claimed it's better for everyone to be equal, they invented something called communism, and it didn't work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevox View Post
    Having a mythic weapon doesn't show you have skill, or are good at the game, or anything. It shows you're willing to waste hours and hours of your life working in a game (hint: it's not fun to do this) to get a weapon.

The problem with it is the fact that it's not only the best weapon for some classes (SMN) but it's FAR, FAR beyond anything else in the game. Something is wrong with balance and design when a weapon moves your class from being frowned upon to being wanted in parties. Just one weapon.

There is NO REASON for it to take this long anymore. Back in the day you could work on it while still getting relevant gear, can do it in parties with your friends, and it was fun. It was challenging. It took forever, but it made sense, and you would be doing that content anyways. That is not the case anymore even in the slightest.

Anyone who thinks it should still take this long is wearing nostalgia goggles or has one and wants others to feel the pain it took to get one.
    I replied WHY it needs to take long pages back. But I'll repeat again because you don't read them it seems.

1. Having it drop from "hard" content that requires skill will make it as common as Oat or thaumas coat. Thus defeat the purpose of Mythic being rare.

2. Having a weapon takes "long time" to get, instead of "being good at the game", reflected how it takes "long time" to improve your skill in a world. Simply because the skill cap of this game is low.

This is RPG, RPG= life simulator. Thus everything you do should be simulating living a life in a virtual world.

If this game is FTG or RTS, or chess, only professional players are good, and it needs 30hr a week of practice to be that good. Then type of game like that can really seperate who's good and who's bad by real skill.

But this is RPG, and not even a skill based RPG with slow paced combat system, you simply can't seperate players by skill. If every gears are easy to obtain, a player that plays 1hr a day can literally be as good as players who plays 3hr a day by wearing the exactly same thing. In the end everyone who plays the game 7hr a day would be as good as 1~2hr a day player, created a world where everyone is equal.

RPG is supposed to be a life simulator, a world where everyone is equal doesn't fit the def of it. Someone who play the game 7hr a day should have stronger character than someone playing 1hr a day, in a RPG. Like how someone who plays piano/FTG/RTS 7hr a day should play better than someone play 1hr a day, and so on.

3. You keep complaining about "getting X gear is just waste hours and hours of time", THAT is the fundamental of any RPG, do easy stuff for hours and hours of time for your characters to get stronger. Lving a character is pretty much "waste hours and hours of time" killing shit to get stronger. Getting item is "wasting hours and hours of time" too. Even if the requirement is reduced to 1 week of work, it's still "wasting hours and hours of time". Except you "waste" 1 week of your time instead of 5 months.

I'm going to guess RPG isn't type of game for you, if getting gear is "wasting hours and hours of time" for you. You should play games that your character strength is completely depend on skill, and let you kill boss from the start, such as FTG or RTS or ACT. But not RPG, in which your character strength shouldn't be depend on skill, but time spent on it. If you view doing easy stuff in RPG to improve your character "wasting time", no matter how fast you can obtain a mythic, you'd still view it as wasting time.

Due to the above reason, I say yes Mythic should need 5 months to obtain. Unless someone can convince me how'd a game where everyone is equal a better life simulator than everyone not equal.

Oh and btw, I'm not wearing nostalgia goggles at all. I've played many, many RPG in my life. I find FFXI the only RPG that's cloest to ideal "life simulator" just because epic rare item exist and everyone is different. It's my POV toward what should a RPG be. If I want a game where everyone's equal and rare item has no value, I wouldn't be playing FFXI to begin with. "Everyone is different" is the main reason why I find this game fun to play with.

I'm also not "wanting everyone else to feel the pain it took to get one". I think everyone should be different in this game, and certain items should be rare. Just find no other way to keep an item rare unless it requires large amount of time. If I want everyone to suffer from the pain, I'd suggest dev to put 4th legendary weapon 0.0000000000000000000001% of drop rate from a NM lol.

If there are other ways to make the mythic process more "fun", such as making assault V2 salvage V3 Nyzul V4, or able to complete requirement by doing current content, I'm all for that. I even suggested dev to make alex drop from SoA content ages ago instead of cutting the requirement into half lol. I don't mind Mythic more "fun" to obtain, as long as it still takes 5 months~1+ year. You can just have months and months of "fun" if you want. But asking Mythic obtainable in shorter amount of time, thus kills it's rarity is no no.
    (1)
    Last edited by Afania; 01-24-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crevox View Post

Honestly I don't even think your issue with the Mythic is "it takes long", but it's "It's not fun". If it's fun but it takes 1+ year, will you still do it, or not? If yes then instead of coming to the forum and suggest dev to cut the requirement by half, you should suggest the dev by making the requirement possible to complete by doing content that's more fun while spending same amount of time.

If your issue is "it takes long", then honestly MMORPG isn't type of game for you. The nature of MMORPG, espeically a MMORPG with a sub fee like this, is supposed to be "your home" and takes a long time to play. The goal should be keeping players occupied, not letting players complete every goal in a short amount of time and quit.

Instead of complaining about "This game takes too long to play, let's cut the time of getting a goal done by half" and in the end still have no fun and feel time wasted, may as well give better suggestion like "This game takes too long to play, let's find some way to improve the gameplay make every min enjoyable"

As stated before, I don't mind Mythic being fun to obtain. I don't mind it's 1+ year of work but every moment working on it being enjoyable. But making Mythic 1 month of work instead of 1 year and ended up as common as Oat/Thaumas isn't the right way to go. It's not like making it 1 month instead of 1 year solve any issue of you feel time wasted. You'd just feel time wasted for 1 month instead of 1 year. I don't see time gate being an issue too, unless you have nothing else to do but Mythic. You can work on other gears during down time lol.

However if you can't accept the concept of "playing MMORPG"= your 2nd home and only want to complete a weapon ASAP then quit, then this isn't the game for you.
    (2)
    Last edited by Afania; 01-24-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Player
    This is RPG, RPG= life simulator.
    "playing MMORPG"= your 2nd home
    All I can say is... lol

These statements alone show me you are in no position to make any sort of informed or intellectual decision on this matter. I was going to read your post(s) and respond appropriately (I skimmed and saw these lines), but it would be a waste of time. I'm not interested in your flawed misinterpretation of a game, or any opinions related to it.
    (4)
    Last edited by Crevox; 01-24-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    YOU have no use to it, doesn't mean other people don't want one, and that doesn't mean they're greedy/selfish to want one. What you're trying to do here is to force everyone else to have the same opinion toward rare items like you, then label anyone with different POV selfish/greedy.
    Not really, I already said my reason for saying its selfish or greedy is because the way you make it sound is that people mostly want Mythics because few people have them, I see this as selfish because it's basically saying that the primary reason to have it is so you can make yourself feel good knowing you are 1 of 100 people out of 10,000 people to have something, you're part of the 1% of players, yay. The other thing I said was selfish or greedy was asking for changes to be made, or not be made, only based on your own ideas and how you feel about something. The grand majority of people I know who have talked to me about Mythics before have agreed with me that Mythics take far too long for the content they require, in all honesty I think most people would look at the end of my previous post where I compared Relics to Mythics, and likely think the same.

What I am talking about here when it comes to Mythics isn't just what I think on the subject but the majority of what I have heard from various people. I have not met anyone in game who actually seems to think that 100 Assaults, 30,000 Alexandrites, and the 3 Beastmen Kings alone are actually well designed, let alone the rest of the requirements on top of them that push it far beyond the other two weapons in terms of annoyance and time wasted.

Wanting something nobody else have isn't selfish. It's human nature to like rare items or be unique pretty snowflake. As long as they deserve the item, then it isn't selfish. If I cheated for a Ferrari, then I'm selfish and greedy. If I earn enough money to buy one fair and legit, then it's not selfish. Not wanting to Ferrari to lower the price because I think Ferrari should remain "car for rich people" isn't selfish because Ferrari isn't life necessity, you have cheaper cars to buy if you need a car. Not wanting life necessity such as food/house to lower the price is selfish/greedy.
    Here we have to simply agree to disagree, because I think any amount of money paid for things that are completely wasteful such as what you are talking about, a sporty car that will do no better for you really than a normal car, and I see any acts of purchase of these kinds of items as selfish, no different than I see something like Afterglow, which I see as something else selfish to buy, and is actually another of those stupidly time taking things, but, admittedly that's near worthless so I hardly care about it, if you want to argue to keep that as it is you will hear no argument from me.

I nail down the fundamental of expensive items. Ok, you don't like to have expensive items to exist so everyone is equal, I don't agree with you. I think everyone should not be equal, because that's how our society/community works, an equal society/community simply doesn't work very well because not everyone is like you.
    I think people should be rewarded for time put in, but what you are talking about and what I am talking about are two different things, I already explained at the end of my last post the differences between Mythics and Relics, and even pointed out in the end that unless you increased supply by over 3 times, you would not actually see Mythics pop up as commonly as Relics, not even close.

Now if you take Assaults down to a single month to finish them all, take out everything else besides Alexandrites, and increase Alexandrite supply by 4 times, and maybe you will see them as commonly as Relics, because you would then walk out of Salvage with around 500 a run, thats about 1.6% of what you need for a full Mythic, if you do 300 currency a run in Dynamis you get around 1.6 of a Relic's currency a run. After that though you are still talking about an extra two weeks per weapon, but I guess thats kind of small. In either case, thats gutting the entire quest and assuming at the same time that you would not have to deal with either congestion or prices remaining as high as they are, as you would need them to go down to about 1/4th of what they are right now on Phoenix to buy them with the same amount of money as well.

Look, the point I'm getting at is that Mythics already take a lot more than Relics, fear of their commonality is foolish because even if they made tags 1/6 hours rather than 1/24 hours, decreased the Alexandrite cost to 10,000, and made the Kings reasonable, it would not make Mythics common, they would still be rare, just not as rare, but what they lack in rarity would be made up for in the fact that every Mythic is unique, 1 per job, the rarity would not be so much the class of weapon but the weapon itself, people would have to pick and choose rather than Relics where many are multiple jobs or Empyreans which are the same way.

Also unless you plan to address the key points in my post, please don't bother replying to me.
    (0)
    Last edited by Demonjustin; 01-24-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Character
    Lithera
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 1
    Dear Afania,

Have you somehow not noticed that in XI gear has never equated to skill in this game? Because this game has been plagued by people who can be wearing the best gear and still suck at playing their job. Even as some have already suggested cutting the amount of alexandrite and ichor would still take you a while to get the BASE weapon. Then you still have to work even longer to get it to 99 and then do whatever it is that SE wants you to do inorder to make it ilv119. Cutting back a little on what require to get a mythic does not equate to everyone and their sister owning one. Some people will still never go and make one just because it's not the newest thing. Others might be on a server that they never hit their section's prime time so finding people to do something like a mythic would not be something they would go for because of the time frame they have.
    (2)

Character
    Rentwokay
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 75
    Every discussion of Mythics is basically dozens of players looking for the most polite way to say, "Obtaining a Mythic should be easy for me but impossible for everyone else."

I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to everybody. Every Mythic is what it is and costs what it costs. Some are excellent options in the modern era, and some are not. If you feel like the cost of building a Mythic is too high relative to the power/benefits of the weapon, don't build it. If you feel it's fair, build one. It's like every other piece of equipment you have the option of obtaining.

What I keep seeing is, "I want a Mythic, but I don't want to spend all that time and money on one." Everybody wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to do what it takes to get there.

Plus (asking sincerely), in the age of Heavy Metal Plates and Plutons for 150k (not to mention dirt cheap Beitetsu and Boulders), is a Mythic still really the most expensive weapon to take to iLvl, in terms of time and money? I mean, you need nearly 200 NM kills for an Empyrean weapon, each of which requires one-to-three only-hold-one-at-a-time pop items that requires proc'ing, and that's before you even fight the darn things. Is that really more annoying than 50 Assaults? At least the Assaults have a little variety.
    (2)

Page 7 of 297 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast