Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Shia
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 31

Returning Player - Asura (3 Years Since Last Played)

So like the title says I'm a returning player after being away for more than 3 years. I've heard some things like "Abyssea ruined the game!" or "It's all easy mode now!" and instead of just taking their words for it I'm going to try it out for myself. Truthfully if the game is a little more casual friendly then I think it'll make the transition returning to an old game after so long a lot more easier. That aside I've got a few questions.

1.) While there's simply too much to cover and figure out, just to get a grasp of things what's the most prominent change to come around from before Abyssea enter the scene? I've bought the Ultimate Edition from Steam so I have all the expansions now including the newest Seekers of Adoulin (sp?) that came out last year.

2.) Currently I'm situated on Asura, how populated is this server and should I possibly seek out a different, newer server?

3.) I'm considering starting over from scratch which means storing all the items from my existing characters on a separate one and deleting them all. The highest progress I made was on a Hume character that has around Lv60ish in Summoner, White Mage, and 51 in Dragoon. Never completed the main story but got all the summons minus Diabolos and perhaps any newer ones they've unlocked. Should I start from scratch or just keep all my characters? I kind of want to start over only because with so much stuff I need to do/unlock that was unfinished on the characters was one of the reasons I felt put off to keep playing before I retired.

4.) How the the player scene now, is it every man/woman for themselves or still a team effort? Typically I'm a solo player but it doesn't mean I intend to do everything solo by myself. Having people to talk to or hang with is a great thing and what I enjoy.

Couple things to note though is I'm a roleplayer, not a deep in-depth RPer but I do roleplay. Though returning after 3 years away the whole RP thing may not apply as much anymore. I'm actively playing FFXIV (Where I still do RP.) so my time between this game and that one will be split.

Me staying with FFXI is dependent on if I can make new friends here, and rekindle the sense of enjoyment FFXI brought me for about 6-7 years before my eventual departure. There's so much new stuff to see and do I'm sure I certain won't get bored of the game anytime soon but having players to hang with and possibly show me the ropes once more would be wonderful.

If you've gone this far I thank you so much for reading! Any help, info, pointers from what to try/do first to if I should apply for a server transfer to someplace more populated would be great! Moreso if you happen to play FFXIV too and are on the Balmung server!

Thank you again!
    (1)
    Last edited by Mihana; 01-16-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Character
    Artharian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihana View Post
    So like the title says I'm a returning player after being away for more than 3 years. I've

heard some things like "Abyssea ruined the game!" or "It's all easy mode now!" and instead of just taking their words for it I'm going to try it out for myself. Truthfully if the game is a little more casual friendly then I think it'll make the transition returning to an old game after so long a lot more easier. That aside I've got a few questions.
    Hello! I have to say I applaud your desire to try stuff out :-)
    I'd say the game is a lot more casual friendly these days - I've been playing for about 6 years now and from my perspective it keeps improving!

1.) While there's simply too much to cover and figure out, just to get a grasp of things what's the most prominent change to come around from before Abyssea enter the scene? I've bought the Ultimate Edition from Steam so I have all the expansions now including the newest Seekers of Adoulin (sp?) that came out last year.
    To my mind the big changes from pre-Abyssea are (lol) Abyssea for one and then Seekers of Adoulin. Obviously these are both huge expansions, but Abyssea really supported the rise to 99 level cap - new ways to level with Dominion Operations, new gear with the upgradeable job specific armour, Magian Trial weapon upgrades, new NMs with new drops etc. Then Adoulin with the 'next level' - more gear, two new jobs (Rune Fencer and Geomancer), new challenges (reives, skirmish, delve etc.).

2.) Currently I'm situated on Asura, how populated is this server and should I possibly seek out a different, newer server?
    Sorry, I don't know that server - I'm on Odin which is quite lively and we have an active linkshell. Overall populations have declined, but this has been partially mitigated by some server merges. Also means some areas are less crowded too!

3.) I'm considering starting over from scratch which means storing all the items from my existing characters on a separate one and deleting them all. The highest progress I made was on a Hume character that has around Lv60ish in Summoner, White Mage, and 51 in Dragoon. Never completed the main story but got all the summons minus Diabolos and perhaps any newer ones they've unlocked. Should I start from scratch or just keep all my characters? I kind of want to start over only because with so much stuff I need to do/unlock that was unfinished on the characters was one of the reasons I felt put off to keep playing before I retired.
    I'd find this a tricky decison too...changes in exp gain have made it a relatively quick process to speed through the lower levels (say up to 65) solo, so if you did start over it wouldn't be long before you were back at your previous point. On the other hand, from 60 onwards theres lots of stuff to enjoy on the way to 99!
    Personally I'd keep my existing chars as a starting point (saves all the running around getting the Avatars again! ;-)) but this really is a personal choice.

4.) How the the player scene now, is it every man/woman for themselves or still a team effort? Typically I'm a solo player but it doesn't mean I intend to do everything solo by myself. Having people to talk to or hang with is a great thing and what I enjoy.
    I'm also quite a solo player due to time restrictions, real life commitments etc. and I find that I can now achieve more than ever before. Having said that our ls does team stuff - everything from new starters quests through to Andoulin content. Or often just chatting away whils people do their own thing. So basically, solo and team still works - the emphasis may have shifted towards solo, but it's all still enjoyable!

Couple things to note though is I'm a roleplayer, not a deep in-depth RPer but I do roleplay. Though returning after 3 years away the whole RP thing may not apply as much anymore. I'm actively playing FFXIV (Where I still do RP.) so my time between this game and that one will be split.
    Again, the more casual friendly FFXI would benefit you here. I call myself casual, with the definition that, for me, casual means I am restricted by time (either frequency or duration) but not in attitude ;-)

Me staying with FFXI is dependent on if I can make new friends here, and rekindle the sense of enjoyment FFXI brought me for about 6-7 years before my eventual departure. There's so much new stuff to see and do I'm sure I certain won't get bored of the game anytime soon but having players to hang with and possibly show me the ropes once more would be wonderful.
    Well, if you decide to come to Odin drop me a /tell or look out for our ls (friendsofallnations). As the name suggests we're from all timezones and pretty much active round the clock! We have members at all levels, so there's often something going on...subjob quests, Dynamis, Story line etc.

If you've gone this far I thank you so much for reading! Any help, info, pointers from what to try/do first to if I should apply for a server transfer to someplace more populated would be great! Moreso if you happen to play FFXIV too and are on the Balmung server!

Thank you again!
    That's a big question! I'd say first thing is to pick a job and get to 99 - that'll open many doors!

Good luck, and if you do go to Odin, look me up :-)

Art.
    (0)
    Last edited by Artharian; 01-17-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Character
    Pyanfar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 8
    I've finally started playing FFXI after all these years and wouldn't mind getting a group of people to play/chat with =) Been playing FFXIV since beta and still going strong with that too, on the Cerberus server though.

If you want to find me in FFXI my characters Pyanfar.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Artharian View Post
    Well, if you decide to come to Odin drop me a /tell or look out for our ls (friendsofallnations). As the name suggests we're from all timezones and pretty much active round the clock! We have members at all levels, so there's often something going on...subjob quests, Dynamis, Story line etc.

Good luck, and if you do go to Odin, look me up :-)

Art.
    Hi Art!

May I contact you ingame for a pearl? I'm thinking of transferring my character to be with a more active progression linkshell.

Thanks!
    (0)
    Da one n only! =^.^=

Character
    Artharian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Please do! I'm on UK time, usually 7-10pm GMT. We're not necessarily organised, but we are pretty active :-) If you don't see me look out for light blu LS markers for Friendsofallnations...a lot of people are sack carriers....

Art.
    (0)

Player
    Hey Art, Can you get me some names of others that are usually on during my timeframe? I'm on EST and I seem to not be able to catch up with you lol.
    (0)
    Da one n only! =^.^=

Character
    Artharian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Will do! I can't check the spelling of some of the names at the moment as I'm at work, but I'll look tonight...Are you transferring to Odin (as I see you're profile has you on Asura)?

Art.
    (0)

Player
    haha well that explains it, i thought you were on asura! i transferred there like a noob lol >.> guess i'll hit you up in 90 days!! xD
    (0)
    Da one n only! =^.^=

Character
    Artharian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    OK! I'll be there! :-)

Art.
    (0)

Player
    "Abyssea ruined the game!"

Abyssea saved FFXI. Humans are opposed to change, it's in our nature. Those that were terrified of change said that and the rumor stuck. It's based on pure ignorance and should be ignored.

"It's all easy mode now!"

Easy compared to old FFXI but that doesnt make it easy. Stage 1-1 on Super Mario Bros was easy, this is not in the same category of easiness, so no the game is not on easy mode, it's just not abusive like FFXI used to be.

Don't focus so much on others, it holds you back, sure you can join a LS and spend all day chatting. Evreryone is doing their own thing and will help you once in a while, but nothing like old FFXI. Only way to play like old FFXI is to invent a time machine. lol

3.) I'm considering starting over from scratch which means storing all the items from my existing characters on a separate one and deleting them all.

Never, under any conditions, do you start over in an MMO, that is for noobs and noobs only. You played for a while, you should not do that, there's already too much to do in FFXI to redo all the pointless crap.

I never understood that mentality. In the 11 years I've been playing this, LSs are such an inconvenience. I only joined them cause content required it, but now that the game is mostly soloable, I find FFXI sooooo much more fun than it used to be. No more bothering others to do content that should not require a billion party members to win (and the storyline acts like you did it all by yourself. If the game is gonna pretend that I soloed the content, then shouldn't I have soloed the content?) Anyway, LS are just for chatting now and RARELY running events like they used to. It's a different game, a better game, no need to continue with bad FFXI habits, enjoy the game, socializing is for facebook. lol
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast