SMN Armor/Staves Disappoints

So I was excited to see that they were going to +2 the AF to make them the same as that of RUN and GEO... Sadly... >_> They still suck hardcore.

Let's start from the top

Convoker's Horn: It's a great boost to DEF, MP, +SMN Skill, +Enmity, -BP Delay, and Refresh. This piece is great in comparison to the Emp. Horn+2

Convoker's Doublet: So, Maybe I'm out of touch with it, but the whole point for SMN, I thought it was to maintain the avatars for as long as possible. Why would I want to give up -4 to Prep cost for a boost to magical defense abilities? SMN as Dream Shroud, Phalanx, and Avatar's Favor for such a thing. Which again the - to BPs are nice, but what's the point if I have to recover more MP to actually use it... (Also why would SMN need EVA, we can't dodge things anyway...)

Convoker's Bracers: I have always hated these things, ALWAYS!! The convert DMG of avatars type almost never procs, but why would I fight something with the actually element VS its weak element? Let alone, be in close enough combat to get hit? Plus with the added things to Magic DEF means it would do less DMG... which also translates to less MP covered anyway....

Convoker's Spats: These are somewhat solid, and offer the Magic DEF+ stuff, -BP Delay, and MP. I don't mind losing the +6 to SMN Skill

Convoker's Pigaches: -4 Prep, check... boost to the Avatar's evasion, check... Boost to all the other things Magic DEF related, check.

Also, I've gone through, and looked at most of the RoE weapons, Again, nothing for -Prep costs... SMN put a lot of work into making those Trial Staves for the - BP Delays and -Prep, why ignore that hard work? >_> And I feel it's about time for a trial to make those staves into one staff. Requiring the Staves to be the tier III versions and then makes a staff called the Channeling Staff or something like that.

And while I'm on the subject of upgrading SE should look into upgrading the Evoker's Ring, Yinyang Robe, and other equipment pieces.
    (3)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Mortificator
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I agree that the AF i109/119 gear is hit or miss the whole evokers set was a hit or miss set anyways, even back in the day i really only used the pants for the acc+ for avatars. I still use the full emp+2 set during bloodpacts with the relic+2hands at idle. What can i say, when blood boon proc's it REALLY procs, I pulled off a 18k geocrush when i was fighting Hurkan.

I'm looking foward to see the +2 of relic and emp gear to see how they turn it around. Or even better make a remake of my favorite Hobo gear, can't remember the name but was the JSE for summoner back in the day.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Secondplanet View Post
    I'm looking foward to see the +2 of relic and emp gear to see how they turn it around. Or even better make a remake of my favorite Hobo gear, can't remember the name but was the JSE for summoner back in the day.
    The Austere's Gear.
    (0)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Character
    Rumblepakk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    SMN is a huge macro job, to me at least. The only convokers equiptment I find useful is the body and feet for BP damage and the horn for SMN skill (alexander). I have different macro sets, 1 for free avatar where I dont even need a -perp staff, 1 for BP delay, 1 for alexander, 1 for avatar phys attack, and 1 for avatar Magic attack .
    (1)

Character
    Infidi
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlie View Post
    SMN is a huge macro job, to me at least. The only convokers equiptment I find useful is the body and feet for BP damage and the horn for SMN skill (alexander). I have different macro sets, 1 for free avatar where I dont even need a -perp staff, 1 for BP delay, 1 for alexander, 1 for avatar phys attack, and 1 for avatar Magic attack .
    Would you mind posting your Avatar MAB set?
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    LOL You made pretty much the same post as I did back when the RF1 first went gold... only without pretty pictures.

And I 1000000% disagree about the pants, they're only kinda "meh". Ngen is best atm due to the +10skill and +5%BPdmg... idr if they ever fixed the broken regen on them or not.
    AF3+2 pants are a larger boon for magic BPs due to them having their damage be TP based like a WS. (TP bonus = more magic damage.... ok SE... wtf but ok...)
    Basically, Convoker Spats are good for phys BPs and not caring about any bloodboon procing... (I only use 2 pieces today... But it still happens... extremely rarely, but it does.)
    While AF3+2 still excels for magic BPs.
    Though Ngen Serawheels is better than both.

And the -6 skill is only permissible so long as you can maintain the 500 needed.... which I guess if you're using Fervor and vox.... you can do it? but then you loose Oneiros refresh and w/e ring you replace Fervor with. (so many good ones! sangoma for the MP challenged races... prolix... bifrost if you don't have sangoma... etc)
    Unlike every other job where having 500 skill is something that only benefits during a spell.... SMN benefits from capping 500 skill ALL THE TIME.
    Skill is everything to the SMN... Not having 500 skill 100% of the time is like a DD not eating sushi in Delve. (-acc and Macc everywhere)
    Plus... All your wards are capped without clogging up your inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlie View Post
    I TOTES agree.
    So many macros...

Quote Originally Posted by Infidi View Post
    Would you mind posting your Avatar MAB set?
    I only use two things.... because I don't cheat and use 3rd pt software.
    Bokwus circlet and now Eminence Pole... I was using Balsam for a bit there... but then the spark pole came out... slightly less MAB... for more Macc? AND a +2M to my wallet? <<Yes, please!>>
    The reason I went with these is because:
    1) MAB is great... but MAB + %dmg is even better, so while Hagondes boots were used for a while.... with these +5/6% RF1 boots... yeah.
    2) by using Macc gear... can also add the gear cycle to the enfeebling wards... not that with +500 skill did I ever see any resists.... but... why tempt fate, y'know?
    3) the -15skill from any macroing of Convoker's Horn... is alleviated by the +Macc from Bokwus. That is to say, with the skill from Bokwus and it's Macc, you don't really lose any Macc that you might have with say, Summoner's Horn +2 in the past.

On the whole since I've adjusted my macros for Bokwus+Eminence... I've noticed FAR more consistent BPs in WKRs... which is really the only place that I've ever had a magical BP resist on me.
    (and before anyone says bluh my MP, the only time you're gonna be spamming magical BPs is in WKRs... wherein you should be using your new 2hr as part of an MP management cycle... that + elemental siphon = you don't have MP problems.)

EDIT: Also, I think the reason why they didn't just make RF1 a strict upgrade to AF3+2 is because they plan on 119ify the other two AFs as well...
    Meaning they want a bit of diversity with the pieces so we can't just have them all do the same thing...
    So... look forward to your 119 Summoner's Bracers...
    (0)
    Last edited by FaeQueenCory; 01-21-2014 at 12:31 AM.