Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Crevox View Post
    It's not about the difficulty, it's about the pain of running around and doing all the boring in between.

I want to get the story, yes, but I could youtube it easier or read through the scripts on the wiki. It's a massive time sink.
    Sorry I don't feel your pain. Took me a forever to find a group that would stick together long enough to finish it(which was the hardest part of it all) so suck it up it's not hard and by far is not that bad of a time sink with how freaking easy it is to move around now. The teleport between home points was just added so the rest of us had to do all that running with out VW warps, Home point teleports, lower movement speed. Really you think a week is a massive time wow.
    (5)

It's not about the difficulty, it's about the pain of running around and doing all the boring in between.

I want to get the story, yes, but I could youtube it easier or read through the scripts on the wiki. It's a massive time sink.
    >_>; I kind of feel that MMO's ARE a massive time sink. If you aren't willing to put forth the time to do things, I don't think you should be rewarded for that. There's A LOT of things that come from actually completing the story.
    (5)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

I have 10 chapter 1's, my AF horn, scarlet linen, and a phoenix feather. I don't have the materials? There's more?

I'm a complete noob to this game. I started like 10 days ago.
    You have the materials, not the quest/mission completion. Certain events/NPCs only unlock when you are so far through an expansion. Sagheera and her partner won't talk to adventurers until you have access to Al Taieu, as their were added 8+ years ago to upgrade AF with items from Limbus, and until recently, you couldn't get those items without doing Limbus.

SE made the changes they did to make it so more of the userbase has completed the early expansions, as the census data showed that the majority hadn't beaten them. Now they are giving more incentives to complete them. The AA fights require near completion of Zilart. I imagine reforging of Relic and Empyrean armor, when that comes out will require near-completion of Aht Urhgan and Wings of the Goddess.
    (1)

Character
    Silentsteel
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    The reason that sea and thus limbus is required, is because the Reforge person is tied to the AF upgrade person. The AF upgrades are only possible after you have sea and limbus access, cause like Karah said you need Limbus to be able to have upgraded your AF to +1 in the first place. Yes you don't need to +1 your AF to reforge it, but likely with the way it's coded, in order to reforge both normal or +1 the NPCs needed to be tied together.
    (3)

Character
    Rentwokay
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 75
    Chains of Promathia's mission storyline was nice in that it trickled out rewards and unlocks as you went along.

The zones that were released with that expansion pack are still some of the coolest in the game. There's a lot of rich content and many small stylistic goodies that the development team hasn't quite repeated with the areas that were released since. Riverne, Lufaise Meadows, and Al'taieu are all really, really cool, and the central structures in Sea (especially with the music) really do a good job of making the last few missions feel like a crawl through a traditional "final dungeon" crawl in an old Final Fantasy game.

That's assuming you don't just unlock Sea and quit.

I have to ask... If you're not interested in working your way through long, detailed storylines, what about Final Fantasy XI appealed to you? I don't suspect you're a fan of the franchise, given that many of the design choices you seem to dislike are hallmarks of the series as a whole. I don't suspect you're just an MMO hound, given that FFXI hasn't been the flavor of the month since WoW was released. There's plenty of other MMOs out there that are faster, cheaper, and have a more user base.

I'm not trying to shove out a new user, especially not these days. I'm genuinely curious as to why you started out with a game that puts such emphasis on exploration and lore when you don't seem to have the patience for how they were implemented.
    (9)

Character
    Xantavia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    If you decide to go through CoP, could you do me a favor? Back when I did it with the level caps, they mentioned a restriction on Phonemia Aquaducts in order to weaken the monsters. (storyline reason for game mechanic). I'm wondering if the line is still there and makes no sense anymore, or if it has been removed completely.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    If you decide to go through CoP, could you do me a favor? Back when I did it with the level caps, they mentioned a restriction on Phonemia Aquaducts in order to weaken the monsters. (storyline reason for game mechanic). I'm wondering if the line is still there and makes no sense anymore, or if it has been removed completely.
    I'm pretty sure that dialogue is still there.
    (1)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Player
    I'm not trying to shove out a new user, especially not these days. I'm genuinely curious as to why you started out with a game that puts such emphasis on exploration and lore when you don't seem to have the patience for how they were implemented.
    There is a TON of stuff to do in this game. I want to explore it at my own pace, not be forced to do it for such a silly reason. I planned to do CoP at some point, but now I have to do it in order to get my armor.

Sorry I don't feel your pain. Took me a forever to find a group
    I don't really care about the past, I'm talking about the right now.
    (2)

Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    There is a TON of stuff to do in this game. I want to explore it at my own pace, not be forced to do it for such a silly reason. I planned to do CoP at some point, but now I have to do it in order to get my armor.

I don't really care about the past, I'm talking about the right now.
    I am talking about right now it is so easy and you could most likely do it in a couple of days if it wasn't for the couple of JP midnight waits that there is in CoP. Really you have smn so you get fleet wind to move around even faster. Also if you have any plans of doing AA fights you have better knock out ZM as well which at 75 could be done in 2 to 3 days so at 99 should be even more of a breeze. As for relic I'm not sure if you would have to have rank 6 to upgrade it since you can buy relic armor with login points and once sagheera will talk to you could upgrade it to relic +1.
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karah View Post
    They should've FORCED people to have the +1 gear already.
    Forcing people to sink millions of manhours to get a random drop is a waste of life....
    And a tell-tale sign of being an archagent of the Devil.

Letting people do a bit "more" grinding to bypass the potential at years of more grinding...
    Was genius. (But not really because it's no different between the implementation of the +2 for Relic gear.)
    This lets more people get better/relevant gear.
    Which allows for more people to do harder/relevant content.

This is a MMO.
    Playing with other people.... is kinda the point.
    And allowing for more people to play at the same tier together... is always good.
    (remember when skirmish gear was added? 113!? that's "better" than the delve gear! ... only it isn't. It's the same tier of gear as a r15 piece... and depending on the piece, one will be better for your job than another. But what was really so beautiful about the skirmish gear was that it gave more people access to "delve" level gear... which allowed for more people to do Delve... The AA redux is the same. "don't like delve? Like 'oldschool' BCNMs? Well... now you can get 119 weapons and gear without Delve too!")
    The more people capable of having competent gear... the better the game will be.
    (1)

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast