Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Casavi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

Blue mage spells

Recently unlocked BLU, I understood pretty well what the wiki explained when trying to acquire the spells. My question is, is there a certain time frame where I have to kill the mob right away when the message "mob readies x spell" is seen? Or can I have the luxury of waiting a bit and kill it a couple seconds long after that message is seen? To be honest I don't understand that part of it to well and whether the mob has to die immediately after that notification of the spell being used.

Currently I am using hand to hand and casting dia but I am honestly having no luck getting low level spells. I think I went 1-16 getting the first 4 basic ones without even caring for FOV or ROE quest just straight up single mob grind lol. I came here hoping someone can shed some tips because I feel like I am doing it wrong.

Thank you
    (0)

Character
    Kawar
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndshade View Post
    Recently unlocked BLU, I understood pretty well what the wiki explained when trying to acquire the spells. My question is, is there a certain time frame where I have to kill the mob right away when the message "mob readies x spell" is seen? Or can I have the luxury of waiting a bit and kill it a couple seconds long after that message is seen? To be honest I don't understand that part of it to well and whether the mob has to die immediately after that notification of the spell being used.

Currently I am using hand to hand and casting dia but I am honestly having no luck getting low level spells. I think I went 1-16 getting the first 4 basic ones without even caring for FOV or ROE quest just straight up single mob grind lol. I came here hoping someone can shed some tips because I feel like I am doing it wrong.

Thank you
    There really is no trick to it just turn around and keep casting dia the more tp you give it the better you are,spell farming is not easy at all but later on some of the spells really pay off.But yes you are doing the right thing i would say use the weapon that is the weakest skill you have or lower dmg so you do less damage and you still give it tp the point is not to kill it right away.but yes people have reported a better chance of the mob using the spell around 50% or lower in hp.

there is also a rumor that if you get the mob low and he uses the spell if you kill it fast it has a better chance of giving you the spell but i do not know any thing about if this works or if it is even fact.
    (0)

Character
    Casavi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Yeah still messing around with it, seems like a fun job, I think might attempt to cap the blue magic, or try to get it as high as possible and see if that helps.
    (0)

Character
    Novabane
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Learning blue magic is based on your current skill relative to what level it would be capped at, if that makes sense. Ex. If your job level is 16 but your blue magic skill is equal to lvl 10 then you will only be able to learn spells up to lvl 12 skill level. Now that is by memory only and may need a bit of fact checking, but I'm sure its close to that. Also any gear that has +blue magic skill will help the learning process. Long story short, make sure your blue magic skill is up to par to learn blue spells. Hope this helps some.
    (1)

Character
    Xantavia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Yup, that is why learning those first few spells is so rough. With a 0 magic skill, you don't have that little extra. A lot of superstitions regarding learning. I myself swear by trying to get the killing blow with a blu spell right after they use it, but other friends only want to melee it down without casting the entire fight. I think blu is a job that really suffers from faster paced leveling if you wish to keep current on spells. I tend to just kill the mob and pull a new one if they don't use the move I want, but that comes from being burned out on the dia method after awhile. Also don't worry about enemy level. You can learn from too weak mobs just fine. Got dream flower in yutungha jungle just so I could cast it back after all the times they put me to sleep back in the day.
    (0)

Character
    Metaking
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    sadly alot of the spells you miss out on really don't translate well later on hopefully one day se will give us an over haul like elemental magic got. Tho one old spell i would make sure to get is magic hammer tho its a bit annoying to get its sooo evil now ^.^ o and cocoon too from level 9 to 99 and one of the best buffs we got >.>/
    (0)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    It is definitely pretty annoying to learn new spells starting out. When Blue Mage came out, it took me 40 hours to learn Cocoon. I almost quit the job entirely thinking the entire job would be that way. Though this was before the knowledge of how learning worked. Here's a few tips:
    • You can't sub /BLU and learn spells.
    • The monster has to use the ability, but it can miss or have no effect and you will still learn it.
    • Each Blue Magic spell is capped to learn at the appropriate level. However, the max skill difference to be able to learn a spell is 29 Blue Magic Skill below your own. At your level until 50, you can learn skills as early as 9 levels prior.
    • Wearing additional Blue Magic skill over the skill you should have at that level to learn will increase the chance of learning. Wearing it also extends the level difference you can learn early.
    • AF Gloves will help a lot when you get them.
    • Blue magic cannot be learned while K.O.'d.
    • You don't need to be the target of the ability or have hate to learn. The only requirements are that the enemy uses the spell at least once (even if you weren't around), you are in EXP range when the monster dies, and that your party/alliance (including pets) delivers the killing blow. The only exception to killing blow so far is learning the Naakaul spells from Wildskeeper Reives.
    • If you're having trouble learning spells. Try to increase/cap your skills and use Records of Eminence points to buy Blue Magic skill scrolls if you're leveling too fast to skill up.
    (1)

Character
    Sylow
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    To add to what Rwolf said, you can learn the ability even if it was stunned.
    (1)

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Mobs also dont have to give you experience points. you can be level 99 killin a level 2 mob and learn it (note: its hard to give that situation of mobs tp without one shotting it tho.) But you could be level 30 and have level 99s fightin a higher leveled mob and learn the spell as long as u meat the requirements of learning spell outlined above. But yea you dont need any tricks, i used to think the more i saw the move on one mob the more likely i learned but it isnt true. so now just wait for the mob to use it then kill cause there isnt any reason to delaying seeing if you learned it or not. I found sometimes tho you have to get naked to have certain level mobs able to hit you especially if you are much higher level than them (if you dont have other methods of tp feeding).

Also i seem to remember just being in the zone and learning a couple spells. As in one tiem i ran into learn like a cardian move and was with a group of people already there and i zoned in and they killed one in the farthest room and i learned it without even having to walk to them. I think i got the message i was too far to earn exp. I could be wrong though.
    (1)

Character
    Xantavia
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    To add to what Trumpy said, if you have a chocobo wand or any other event weapon with 1 damage, that is great to use for tp feed. It also won't hurt your spells too much as long as you have a decent club skill.

I also learned body slam after zoning to drop hate while the rest of the party kept fighting it the dragon. I zoned back in, saw it die, and got the spell. So just another example of learning under an unusual circumstance.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast