Character
    Casavi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

are the skill books any good? (ROE)

I have been buying weapons with the sparks I get and what not. There is a section for skill books, was wondering if these are any good before I buy one to test it out and see what they actually raise. Anyone find them useful and if so how much do they raise in skill? Kinds lost as to how it all works and whether I should buy one.

Thanks
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

They raise a specific skill level by 0.1-0.4 points or 0.5 even I hear (possibly more; I personally saw only 0.1-0.4 during the quick and short test I did).
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Casavi
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    They raise a specific skill level by 0.1-0.4 points or 0.5 even I hear (possibly more; I personally saw only 0.1-0.4 during the quick and short test I did).
    That isn't to bad I guess, I think I might just save them for the 99 spark gear then. Thanks!
    (0)

Character
    Ravenns
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    They are good for the more annoying magic skills. Spamming books knowing you will get skill ups is better then standing in the middle of no where hoping you see a skill up in 50 cast. As for the combat skill books I wouldn't waste the sparks on them, they go fast enough.
    (0)

Character
    Tamarsamar
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    0.1? Wow, that's immensely disappointing. Might as well save up for the skillup armor, at that rate . . .

Thanks for the warning, though.
    (0)
    Last edited by Tamarsamar; 12-24-2013 at 07:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    I love back in 2006 when they said Mythics would be the casual-player's alternative to Relic weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    FFXI Official Forums in a nutshell:

Quote Originally Posted by saevel
    The stupid is strong here.

Player
    It seems to me the skill up books are literally just a forced skill up with the same randomness as normal skill ups in terms of .1~.5 and so on.
    (1)

Character
    Numquam
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    You get .1 to .5, but the closer you get to maxing out the more .1's you see. You can also sell them on the AH and trade them with other players. Its a great way to help someone out max their skills or make a little cash. I would say use the books on a job you know you want to play in the near future.
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    they basically just force a skill up to happen... so if you've bought everything else you might want from RoE... I really don't see what else you have to get with the points.

Though remember, 109 and 119 pages are capable of being gotten from RoE... so... I dunno.

I feel that with the RoE skillup armor... + the classic rings + food.... these books are a waste of points.
    (or rather, saving for 119 AF pages is a better use of points... or just saving for the skill up gear.)

But if you already have everything... why not?
    You got nothing better to spend it on... and who knows, maybe the top food (and even the RoE armor) boosts the likelihood of the books giving you a +0.4 and +0.5...
    No clue if they do or not...
    But if they just force a skill-up to trigger... then they should.
    But if they are a "fake" skill-up trigger (as in they just add a variable amount like a real skill-up) then they wouldn't...
    (0)

Character
    Cyric
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Although it's been brought up in other forums, allowing us to just by books in 2+ quantity would be a bonus. I agree with the note that they're our better options.
    (0)