Thread: Unique Spells

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Unique Spells

Ok. So I'm sure I'm not the only one who is disappointed in RUN's lack of unique spells.

RDM has temper, en-spells, and its merit-spells.
    DRK has its absorbs, Drain 2, endark, and dread spikes.
    PLD has enlight and reprisal.
    etc.

Run has... Foil.

Not that foil's bad... but I for one feel that SE missed a chance at 2 things:

1) Bar-light and bar-dark.
    They wouldn't have to add a barlightra and bardarkra for whm either.
    And it's kinda silly that the "lolmagictank" can't bar-spell light and dark... but BRD can carol that buff for everyone in a party...
    Chances are that SE will add this spell to RUN's list eventually... because EVERYONE and their dog has called them out on this.

2) other spikes.
    Now this one is less intuitive (read: this is what I want lol)... but given the way RUN works...
    If SE were ever going to add the "four missing" spike spells... RUN would be where they land. (and PLD too probably depending on what "Holy Spikes" did)

I was randomly thinking about the spikes and what they'd be, and here's what I came up with:
    • Flame Spikes - already in the game
    • Toxic Spikes - water damage, a weak poison proc. (maybe only 1hp poison? no higher than 3hp at the most, which would be a pipe dream.)
    • Shock Spikes - already in the game
    • Rock Spikes - earth damage, a -PDT term. (Thought about a +def term... but this is RUN and I figured that -PDT would not only fit with rocky spikes, but also with how the job is supposed to function... nothing big either... phalanx give -28 DT at 300 skill... this could either be variable like the spell... or it could be just a hard simple number like -13PDT. ONLY phys, not magic.)
    • Buffet Spikes - small wind damage, a knockback term. (due to the knockback effect, figured that the spike damage would probably have to be low... and yes, I was totes inspired by Colkhab for this one.)
    • Ice Spikes - already in the game

• Holy Spikes - light damage, either an amnesia proc or an addle proc. (SE would probably choose addle... though amnesia would be vicious... if they chose amnesia... it would probably have such a low proc rate that it wouldn't be worth using except for stuff that takes extra light damage... You know what I'm talking about, shock spikes?)
    • Dread Spikes - already in the game
    While I realize that this would take dread spikes away from drk... I don't really think that would be too terrible... not like janking temper away from rdm.
    PLUS, if RUN takes dread spikes from drk, it can give holy spikes to pld... so... it evens out.

Giving RUN the current spikes was already in the flavor of "magic channeled through the sword" so... why not finish the wheel?
    (3)

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by FaeQueenCory View Post
    If SE were ever going to add the "four missing" spike spells... RUN would be where they land. (and PLD too probably depending on what "Holy Spikes" did)

I was randomly thinking about the spikes and what they'd be, and here's what I came up with:
    • Flame Spikes - already in the game
    • Toxic Spikes - water damage, a weak poison proc. (maybe only 1hp poison? no higher than 3hp at the most, which would be a pipe dream.)
    • Shock Spikes - already in the game
    • Rock Spikes - earth damage, a -PDT term. (Thought about a +def term... but this is RUN and I figured that -PDT would not only fit with rocky spikes, but also with how the job is supposed to function... nothing big either... phalanx give -28 DT at 300 skill... this could either be variable like the spell... or it could be just a hard simple number like -13PDT. ONLY phys, not magic.)
    • Buffet Spikes - small wind damage, a knockback term. (due to the knockback effect, figured that the spike damage would probably have to be low... and yes, I was totes inspired by Colkhab for this one.)
    • Ice Spikes - already in the game

• Holy Spikes - light damage, either an amnesia proc or an addle proc. (SE would probably choose addle... though amnesia would be vicious... if they chose amnesia... it would probably have such a low proc rate that it wouldn't be worth using except for stuff that takes extra light damage... You know what I'm talking about, shock spikes?)
    • Dread Spikes - already in the game
    um... the skin/spike spells are in the game allready, ALL of them are actually in the game, they just differ but are all the same category and each of them has a different effect:

Earth: Stoneskin
    Wind: Blink
    Ice: Icespikes
    Fire: Blazespikes
    Water: Aquaveil
    Thunder: Shockspikes
    Light: Reprisal
    Dark: Dread spikes
    (3)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    um... the skin/spike spells are in the game allready, ALL of them are actually in the game, they just differ but are all the same category and each of them has a different effect:

Earth: Stoneskin
    Wind: Blink
    Ice: Icespikes
    Fire: Blazespikes
    Water: Aquaveil
    Thunder: Shockspikes
    Light: Reprisal
    Dark: Dread spikes
    Those aren't spikes.
    Spikes are buffs that deal X element magic damage when taking physical damage.

SS: deals no damage.
    Blink: deals no damage.
    Aquaveil: deals no damage.
    Reprisal: ok... this deals damage... but it's based on a shield... not an aura. It just adds spike damage to your shield blocks... not to just taking damage. (though I have to concede that this is similar to what spike spells are.)

This is why they lack the common word associated with buffs that deal elemental magic damage when taking physical damage: SPIKE

These are not spike spells.
    These are just elemental aligned buffs... and to say that they are "the missing spike spells" is absolutely absurd.
    Why is it that Reprisal is not the "light spike"? Shouldn't Temper be it? I mean... it's a light buff.
    Or why not Phalanx?
    Or Shell.
    Or Protect.
    THOSE are light based buff spells.
    And Foil is WIND! Clearly it IS the "missing wind spike spell". Because... wind + buff = spike.
    Why not any of them? Because none of these spells are spikes.

EDIT: Also: all spikes are black magic.
    Not a single spell you gave as "they're already in the game" are black magic.
    They were all white.
    Now, "Holy spikes" would have to be white magic... just because that makes sense thematically.
    But that would be like "endark" being the only enspell that's black magic as opposed to white.
    (1)
    Last edited by FaeQueenCory; 12-23-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by FaeQueenCory View Post
    Those aren't spikes.
    Spikes are buffs that deal X element magic damage when taking physical damage.

SS: deals no damage.
    Blink: deals no damage.
    Aquaveil: deals no damage.
    Reprisal: ok... this deals damage... but it's based on a shield... not an aura. It just adds spike damage to your shield blocks... not to just taking damage. (though I have to concede that this is similar to what spike spells are.)

This is why they lack the common word associated with buffs that deal elemental magic damage when taking physical damage: SPIKE

These are not spike spells.
    These are just elemental aligned buffs... and to say that they are "the missing spike spells" is absolutely absurd.
    Why is it that Reprisal is not the "light spike"? Shouldn't Temper be it? I mean... it's a light buff.
    Or why not Phalanx?
    Or Shell.
    Or Protect.
    THOSE are light based buff spells.
    And Foil is WIND! Clearly it IS the "missing wind spike spell". Because... wind + buff = spike.
    Why not any of them? Because none of these spells are spikes.

EDIT: Also: all spikes are black magic.
    Not a single spell you gave as "they're already in the game" are black magic.
    They were all white.
    Now, "Holy spikes" would have to be white magic... just because that makes sense thematically.
    But that would be like "endark" being the only enspell that's black magic as opposed to white.

I think you missed the point of what I was saying, the spike spells dont have to deal dmg, they cover your body with a certain element that give you various effects. Some elementals deal dmg back some elemental protect you, but its all the same concept: cover your body with an elemental. Wind Earth Water Light (Blink, Stoneskin, Aquaveil, Reprisal) are protectiv/defenis ones, while Thunder Fire Ice Dark are the offensiv ones. They all fall for me into the same category.
    Wind: Avoid dmg by blinking
    Earth: consume dmg via a 2. skin
    Water: Avoid being interrupted
    Light: Reflect dmg with a shield when blocking
    Fire: Reflect big fire dmg
    Ice: Reflect tiny ice dmg with chance of paralyze
    Thunder: Reflect tiny thunder dmg with chance of Stun
    Dark: drain HP from your enemy
    (4)
    Last edited by Damane; 12-25-2013 at 05:55 PM.