Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dev. Posts

Hybrid View

Records of Eminence - SMN seems to be left out

I love the idea of ROE, but my avatars do not seem to count toward my goals, either with Blood Pacts or regular attacks. While I still get credit for kills, this makes it nearly impossible to do things like Total Damage, where NONE of my damage from avatars is included. A SMN's ability lies in its summons, and to expect a SMN to be able to fulfill objectives otherwise is, in my opinion, discriminatory.

Please change this so that avatars (and other pets in general, if this is the same for BST, DRG, etc) can apply themselves to ROE objectives.
    (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Aoisa View Post
    I love the idea of ROE, but my avatars do not seem to count toward my goals, either with Blood Pacts or regular attacks. While I still get credit for kills, this makes it nearly impossible to do things like Total Damage, where NONE of my damage from avatars is included. A SMN's ability lies in its summons, and to expect a SMN to be able to fulfill objectives otherwise is, in my opinion, discriminatory.

Please change this so that avatars (and other pets in general, if this is the same for BST, DRG, etc) can apply themselves to ROE objectives.
    Not that I don't agree summoners damage should be counted, but with my melee set I can regularly perform 3k+ Shattersouls, even in SoA areas... as /RDM. I'm still a little squishy, but having Trust NPCs like Kupipi really help that . Hell I think in abyssea I regularly crit for 600+, really gets you through the 500+ damage trial... 1k+ is kinda annoying, but It can also easily be done with a good TP/WS set, even outside Abyssea... Inside Abyssea just makes it all the easier.

Finally my years of hording SMN melee/WS armor is paying off!

Anywho, in case the first sentence has since been lost in a chasm of blank stares once the word "Summoner melee" hit, I don't disagree with you, simply offering an alternative to completing the trials in the mean time while they adjust this.
    (0)

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    SMN should nvr just sit back and let their avatars do all the damage. That is the definition of a fail smn. The only time the avatar should do all the work is when their is a definite chance the smn will be killed, like with ironclads in aby. So you can still get plenty of dmg output, shattersoul is great for this.
    (0)

Meleeing SMN is great for those who have all the time in the world to max out their Staff skill and their merits, but for those of us who have limited time to play, that's just not realistic. My staff skill is far below my level and it's difficult for me to hit mobs even below my level, and it will likely take me at least several more weeks before I even have a chance at the ROE Staff or Sachet - and that's if I do nothing else other than ROE.

The whole point of ROE is to be able to do content on a whim - to log in and start doing things and achieving goals, for those who only have maybe 30-60 minutes to play. When it's made that I have to do tons of preparation just to not be a "fail smn", then you've completely lost the purpose of this content.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Aoisa View Post
    Meleeing SMN is great for those who have all the time in the world to max out their Staff skill and their merits, but for those of us who have limited time to play, that's just not realistic. My staff skill is far below my level and it's difficult for me to hit mobs even below my level, and it will likely take me at least several more weeks before I even have a chance at the ROE Staff or Sachet - and that's if I do nothing else other than ROE.

The whole point of ROE is to be able to do content on a whim - to log in and start doing things and achieving goals, for those who only have maybe 30-60 minutes to play. When it's made that I have to do tons of preparation just to not be a "fail smn", then you've completely lost the purpose of this content.
    Again while i agree with your OP, and that summons themselves should count as part of the RoE trials... You uh, you're not helping your case. While i personally agree that everyone has their own styles and times they can play and what not, making it seem like pulling out your staff and using it during those 30-60 minute windows is somehow a godforsaken crime is not a prudent choice of words.

I suggest, simply in the mean time while I hope they fix this ovesight, when you go out to do things for RoE, you bring along some cheap sushi and melee with your pet, every little bit helps. You're pretty SoL right now though with uncapped skill and little in the way of gear, but In the down time while they patch this bug, you can at least use the time wisely and touch up your skills

Quote Originally Posted by Elphy View Post
    If you really like <something>, you NEED to dedicate some time to it. That's just how <life> works.
    Edited and agreed really. As an old fictional doctor once said, Nothing in life worth having comes easy. =)

Play how you want OP, remember everything I mention is only a suggestion!
    (2)

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Oh yeah I forgot, the whole point of RoE is to relieve players from doing anything time consuming or pesky like skilling up...

Food, gear and moghancements for skilling make it easy. Plus the fact that unless you burned your smn up or used a 3rd pt program to skill up your smn magic if you bothered at all, staff skill can be kept up as you lvl 1-99 easily, even in book burns and aby pts. Ive done it, and I dedicate most my time to other games so am only on xi a few hrs a week.

I find it funny how ppl think that just because they only have an hr to play se should completely change the game for them or add items solely for them. Why not just take out skill to begin with. If you really like a job and want to play it, you NEED to dedicate some time to it. That's just how ffxi works.
    (1)

Character
    Sasaraixx
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphy View Post
    Plus the fact that unless you burned your smn up or used a 3rd pt program to skill up your smn magic if you bothered at all, staff skill can be kept up as you lvl 1-99 easily, even in book burns and aby pts.
    That is not true. Unless you are in a really bad party, you will not be keeping your staff skill capped. You will have to go out and skill up on your own.

I absolutely hate meleeing on SMN and find it incredibly boring. If I want to melee, I'll switch to another job. I'm also not going to spend what little play time I have gearing up an aspect of the job that really is not necessary and I don't enjoy. Does it add to your ability to play the job? Of course. You are not a "fail SMN" though if you aren't running around with multiple melee sets. That being said, if I am fighting something weak I will whack it with my staff because it does speed up kills.

I do agree with the OP though that avatar damage should count. I've been playing as SCH mostly so I haven't had to deal with it on SMN.
    (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    I'd like to say I can't believe that the OP is taking heat for his request, but this is the allegedly friendly FFXI community where "my way or the highway" is the Golden Rule. Of course Avatars damage should count. Of course a caster job shouldn't have to rely on swinging their stat stick to get things done. You might as well force a MNK to complete tasks by throwing pebbles instead of punching things.
    Thank you. This is precisely the point I was trying to make in the original post.

And don't worry; I'm taking any heat. It doesn't change the point of the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaraixx View Post
    That is not true. Unless you are in a really bad party, you will not be keeping your staff skill capped. You will have to go out and skill up on your own.

I absolutely hate meleeing on SMN and find it incredibly boring. If I want to melee, I'll switch to another job. I'm also not going to spend what little play time I have gearing up an aspect of the job that really is not necessary and I don't enjoy. Does it add to your ability to play the job? Of course. You are not a "fail SMN" though if you aren't running around with multiple melee sets. That being said, if I am fighting something weak I will whack it with my staff because it does speed up kills.

I do agree with the OP though that avatar damage should count. I've been playing as SCH mostly so I haven't had to deal with it on SMN.
    Thank you as well. This is exactly why I didn't bother fueling the fire. There's no point in using up all of your free time doing work when you want to relax and just play.

Of course there's a point that you need to dedicate to your character doing that work, but you don't need to get maximum everything before you play it. Those of us that leveled our mage jobs before book burns and abyssea existed understand why it's such a chore.
    (3)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I'd like to say I can't believe that the OP is taking heat for his request, but this is the allegedly friendly FFXI community where "my way or the highway" is the Golden Rule. Of course Avatars damage should count. Of course a caster job shouldn't have to rely on swinging their stat stick to get things done. You might as well force a MNK to complete tasks by throwing pebbles instead of punching things.
    (4)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I think part of is there needs to be someway to balance it since smn is great at the relatively safe AoE dmg. I mean you can hit over 500 AoE from thunderspark. Similarly to how there healing hits everything in WKRs which would be rather unfair if they make a repeatible healing
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast