Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

What's up with Gastraphetes (and xbows in general)

So before the update Gastraphetes had more dmg then all the non ilvl guns and indeed traditionally with the exception of the low delay ones xbows generally had more base dmg then guns that was offset by the higher base dmg on bullets vs bolts and then a little. But now the old guns are all higher base dmg than Gastraphetes and the difference between bolt and bullet dmg is even higher. To put this in numbers:

Pre soa highest bullet (adaman) with Annihilator was 203 base dmg combined.

Now with anni and highest dmg bullet (Achiyalabopa) the combined dmg is 358 a 76% dmg increase which is about what most melee weapons are at.

Pre soa highest bolt (adaman) with Gastraphetes was 161 base dmg combined.

Now with Gastraphetes and highest dmg bolt (Achiyalabopa) the combined dmg is 217 only 34% dmg increase which is much lower than other empyrean relic mythic weapons.

For a random melee comparison liberator went from 162 to to 263 a 62% increase and you will find similar with others.

Heck even the Illapa another xbow with the exact same delay 42 more base dmg.

Also might add that the other ranged mythic weapon went from 64 to 119 which is much higher than I would've expected (other guns gained alot less) but is what I would've expected Gastraphetes. In fact Gastraphetes new dmg is what I would expect Death Penalty's to be

So with all that I'm wondering is this really how it's supposed to be? Is this intended or some kind of error because it's a huge difference in how much dmg has increased between weapons. Are we just not supposed to use xbows at all anymore?

Also why doesn't Gastraphetes level 3 aftermath apply to weaponskills when it does for melee weapons? Is that intended or a bug? It's bad enough that the am3 is vastly inferior to that melee weapons on regular hits but to not even apply to ws seems really off.

I really want to make a mythic and rng is my favorite job but right now bolts and Gastraphetes seem broken and a losing pick and kinda want to know wether it's really meant to be this bad and I should pick another weapon or it is going to be fixed and maybe make it
    (1)
    Last edited by dasva; 11-07-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Greetings,

Below is a comment from Akihiko Matsui that addresses some of the questions you have brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Akihiko_Matsui View Post
    The “Occasionally deals double to triple damage” aftermath effect of Gastraphetes is not applied to weapon skills. The stats of mythic and empyrean weapons have been balanced on the basis that this effect is not applied to weapon skills.

On a side note, the development team understands that the stats for “True Flight” are somewhat lacking, and they are currently looking into large scale adjustments for all elemental weapon skills. This should also increase the usability of Gastraphetes and Death Penalty.

Has the damage value for Gastraphetes and Death Penalty been swapped?
    I apologize, but due to a bug the damage value for Death Penalty is much higher than what we had intended. This will be corrected in the December version update.
    (1)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Sapphire
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    hahah wow.
    I don't even get to use my 119 Death Penalty for a month and you are already hitting it with the nerf bat.

If it ends up having less base damage than a donderbuss+1 after your 'adjustment' I might as well unsubscribe.
    The only redeeming quality of the weapon was its high base damage and triple shot with aftermath level 3 up.
    Corsair ammunition is lower base damage compared to ranger, and you only get decent damage exclusively using delve ammunition which I have to spend significant time plasm farming to maintain.

Since there is no way for corsair to shed enmity if you use Last Stand repeatedly, and Leaden salute ignores the weapon base damage and ammunition and still rarely does 2k damage,
    I thought this weapon would be considered fair and balanced in its current state.
    (4)
    Death Penalty / Terpsichore / Murgleis / Nagi / Kikoku / Armageddon / Twashtar

Player
    Kinda lame considering melee Mythic Weapons Aftermath attack2-3 times can and does proc on weapon skills i.e the Occ Attack 2-3 times procs on Drakesbane
    (2)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Death Penalty had something like 30% higher DPS than the next best ranged weapon without Aftermath. It was a version update error that got called out on BG on the update day. Not exactly a surprising nerf.
    (7)

Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    Death Penalty had something like 30% higher DPS than the next best ranged weapon without Aftermath. It was a version update error that got called out on BG on the update day. Not exactly a surprising nerf.
    This. It was obvious from the second it was implemented (well, to people who can math) that It was way stronger than it should be.
    (1)

A large scale adjustment to elemental weaponskills would be nice to see.
    (5)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Ok you answered part of the question devs but what about gast and xbows/bolts in general losing as much dmg compared to guns as DP gained compared to other guns?

And I know am3 doesn't work on their ws I stated that? The only problem is it DOES work on all the melee weapons. So you aren't really balancing out the ws stats to aftermath. Not that most the mythic ws are that good to begin with and even in need of balancing
    (2)
    Last edited by dasva; 12-03-2013 at 03:15 PM.

9. 12-03-2013 09:18 PM

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphires View Post
    hahah wow.
    I don't even get to use my 119 Death Penalty for a month and you are already hitting it with the nerf bat.

If it ends up having less base damage than a donderbuss+1 after your 'adjustment' I might as well unsubscribe.
    The only redeeming quality of the weapon was its high base damage and triple shot with aftermath level 3 up.
    Corsair ammunition is lower base damage compared to ranger, and you only get decent damage exclusively using delve ammunition which I have to spend significant time plasm farming to maintain.

Since there is no way for corsair to shed enmity if you use Last Stand repeatedly, and Leaden salute ignores the weapon base damage and ammunition and still rarely does 2k damage,
    I thought this weapon would be considered fair and balanced in its current state.
    It should* have lower base dmg than Donderbuss +1 because of QD dmg boost and lower delay. I have one myself and I fully support a DP base dmg nerf, it should have lower base dmg than Armageddon even.

If I remember correctly(haven't play with math for a while), even 99 DP > donderbuss for pure QD dmg if lack of skill on weapon isn't an issue. DP with lower base dmg still has a use, that is QD gun. I built this gun for QD only gun when it was bad, if I want to DD I just use arma. With DP base dmg at 119 arma is nearly useless that there's totally no reason to 119 it.

I spent 5 months to 99 my armageddon 1.5 year ago and I'm happy that I get a reason to use it again after DP nerf. 119 DP completely outdated my armageddon and totally 0 reason to 119 it, now that I have a reason to 119 both of my guns. Although I kinda already started on Beitetsu and now have to sell it for Riftborn boulder for arma

Both of the COR legendary guns should be equally useful and used for different purpose, not 1 gun dominate them all like what DP currently is.

Also liked magic WS adjustment, hopefully it can compete with phyical WS after the adjustment. Otherwise armageddon is really weak.
    (1)
    Last edited by Afania; 12-04-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphires View Post
    You don't make a Gastraphetes or Death Penalty to be top damage, you make it as a trophy because you love that job and still want an to have an acceptable weapon after all that time/gil/effort.
    I don't think RME item should be a trophy, I think it should be a situationally useful weapon but not a requirement to do the content nor too OP. Good example would be apoc, situationally useful, but not the strongest DD weapon. As long as DP remain useful in QD heavy situations I'd be happy.

Would be even better if it has extra QD charge or QD additional effect such as stun with thunder shot or para with ice shot. I think top DD weapon should be arma 119 though.
    (3)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast