Thread: Staff trials

Character
    Effilil
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 90

Staff trials

Does anyone have any good advice for getting through each of he elemental damage kills section of each of the trials? Making the elemental staves is easier than trying to get Nirvana, but only marginally, and I wonder how they intend to handle more stages of these staves...the -6 perp and -10 bp delay make them worth all the hard work to get them to +2
    (0)

The good news is that now if you have someone else who can nuke, you can get the 50 elemental damage staves done with them. I have RDM, so I was able to do the nuke down mobs for the six regular elements in Abyssea, but for Light and Dark I had to whittle the mobs down to a low HP and then avatar nuke the mobs to death. (Carbuncle with Holy Mist and Fenrir with Lunar Bay.) If worse comes to worse, you will have to use the Group II blood pacts to finish off the mob if you don't have BLM, SCH, or RDM leveled. Or maybe even sub SCH and take advantage of Dark Arts nukes to finish off the mob after your pet gets it to low HP.

Basically, if you are going to try to get all 8 perp staves, it is all about persistence. Earth, Water, Light, and Dark are the hardest staves to do because those avatars are fairly weak compared to Garuda, Ifrit, Ramuh, and Shiva. (And even Shiva is weak compared to the big three.) But the good news is that there is so much perp gear available now that you can fight pretty much non-stop now with self-refresh and Elemental Siphon.
    (0)

Character
    Frod
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The Perp staves are surprisingly not worth it to get. the -10 bp delay is nice and all, but with the upcoming Dynamis changes, as well as other AH and abyssea gear, you can cap both stats with other easier to get gear. just stick to a Fay crozier, Caller's, Summoner's, Nashira hands, and Austere/Penance. If you want to do any magians for summoner, do the +pet attack one, and +pet magic attack.
    (0)

Character
    Lechuck
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 95
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodnon View Post
    The Perp staves are surprisingly not worth it to get. the -10 bp delay is nice and all, but with the upcoming Dynamis changes, as well as other AH and abyssea gear, you can cap both stats with other easier to get gear. just stick to a Fay crozier, Caller's, Summoner's, Nashira hands, and Austere/Penance. If you want to do any magians for summoner, do the +pet attack one, and +pet magic attack.
    Yet, having the -perp staves let you have more choices on what you want to equip on other slots. And nobody says you can't have both -perp staves and pet enhancing ones. At least, that's what I'm working on
    (0)
    Last edited by LeChuck; 03-09-2011 at 02:25 AM.
    I haven't had any revelation. I do not know the Truth. Everything above is IMO. Chill down.

Character
    Indylecia
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'm personally just rolling with B.staff and currently working on pet: mab 12 until something else rolls around. BP activation/execution in Soulscourge til then.
    (0)

Player
    Simple answer: Full Atma inside abyssea for most mobs and your strongest pact. I can't imagine matching 3-5k nukes for effectiveness outside of abyssea.
    (0)

Character
    Angelios
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 90
    If you have Bahamut's Staff and Soulscorge most magain staves are only situational/margainily better. Personally, I much rather use Soulscorge over the pet: MAB staff. My reasoningly is the increased Blood Boon on top of Caller's Set Bonus, M. Acc from Summoning Magic, and MAB on the staff make it the perfect BP staff (after timer of course). Outside of abyssea the perp staves are semi-worth it - to have fee/mp returned avatars.
    (0)

Character
    Mascrapone
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 95
    I still tote around HQ staves which is.. not impressive in this day and age... but but with +2 head/feet/body i have 2/tic refresh even when using celestials/diabolos, and that's without nashiras and refresh Moonshade earring to complete my avatar-idle set. Unless Gold box'd +3 trial staves come into existence with some kind of remarkable potency bonuses for BPs, I really see no great reason for getting them. Macro in soul-scourage for BP execution and keep HQ's/Fay/Bahamuts for idle, unless you plan on getting a nirvana which i assure you is still -much- harder than getting the trial staves. On siren the required alexandrite still will cost you 60mil in gil, plus all the time devoted to nyzul isle and assault.
    (0)

Character
    Effilil
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 90
    Honestly, I end up using smn outside aby more than within it, so for me, the perp- and bp delay- are actually useful, esp since I tote around enough other gear to fill both sack and satchel...most of it crafting items and field/fishing gear
    I really do hope they make a +3 or higher version of the staves that make them even more worthwhile to get.
    and as for other gear, I would prefer to use 1 set of armor/accessories for each job....as a levle 90 whm, gear swap macroes annoy the **** out of me, so I try to find the most balanced gear set for each job (though I am odd enough to use full af/relic setson every job I level) For those who think swapping gear for everything...if you can't do the job with crap gear, you can't do the job at all
    there's 1 more reason to do the trials....farming....you can make alot of gil selling the cheap drops or crafting them into better things (and for some of us, gil doesn't come 1 mil at a time...more like 100 at a time...curse my lousy drop luck...3 payoffs out of 500+bcnms ><)
    (0)

Character
    Frod
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Effilil View Post
    I really do hope they make a +3 or higher version of the staves that make them even more worthwhile to get.
    and as for other gear, I would prefer to use 1 set of armor/accessories for each job....as a levle 90 whm, gear swap macroes annoy the **** out of me, so I try to find the most balanced gear set for each job (though I am odd enough to use full af/relic setson every job I level) For those who think swapping gear for everything...if you can't do the job with crap gear, you can't do the job at all
    That is a horribly pathetic and lazy excuse for completely gimping yourself, your damage output, your healing output(as whm), and your buffs across both jobs. For all players out there, don't be this person.

As for the best Idle staff? An Atk/acc crozier is best for damage, and because of /rdm, self refresh and siphons, we can afford to sacrifice some -perp for main slotting attack when kiting. I'd rather put the hours and hours of grinding for the 9 perp magians into getting a crozier, full caller's +2, finishing wotg, and getting gear like serpentes set, and the brygid diaper.

As for the Cost of mythic, going rate on currency across all servers is 3k to 5k, 3k puts it at 90m, and each 1k over per is an additional 30m at final price.
    (0)
    Last edited by Frodnon; 03-09-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: More info

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast