Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Elvyn
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    The main reason for server population dip at the moment is the upcoming Update (November). With SE's recent disturbing WOW-esque gear dropping means no gear is safe from being made obsolete in the coming update. All gear released with SoA has been replaced almost immediately i.e Bayld -> Skirmish -> Delve NQ ->Skirmish II -> Delve HQ and where as a few years ago this progression would have happened over years, this occurred in a matter of months. No on wants to spend time getting something that's going to be worthless in a months time.

After the update expect to see a population increase. But it wont last if the updated gear is either ridiculously hard or easy to get. Balance is the main point of this MMO and before you could offset time/effort needed to obtain something with the fun/social side of the game that's no longer there. The balance will have to be reworked.

However if I'm honest. XI has almost reached its limits from a technical stand point and with XIV SE's new baby I don't think SE will try very hard to keep XI alive much longer. With the community LS site down forever, updates promised years ago and never arrived. XI is like a village market when a superstore has opened next it to (XIV) people are drawn by the flashy look and promise of increased content and so the shops in the market start to board up there windows one by one. Bad analogy I know, but with the current times it was the only one I could think of lol.
    (1)
    Last edited by Elvyn; 10-08-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    :O Destiny's Child Reformed!

Player
    Its pathetic how they let this game crumble, I always forget the community site, such a sad example of just how much priority SE gives the FFXI players these days.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by leorez View Post
    i was bored as hell and was basically done with all the endgame content
    Really? You completed coil of bahamut turns 1-5 already? Interesting seemings that the coil has a climbing difficulty factor such that no one has completed it yet...
    (0)

Character
    Neferflash
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    You guys really think that more years of sidegrades would make any good to this game? The servers would be shutdown by now if sidegrades were still in place. Yes, feeling strong in a MMORPG isn't a problem, being able to kill gods isn't a problem. The problem is that those who rushed content always complain at having nothing to do.

Look at players that chose to live inside a game instead of real life. Have all jobs 99, all empyreans/relics. What's left for those ppl to do? Nothing. So stop crying about finally being able to kick ass in MMORPG and quit if you wanna be weak again and struggle against DC mobs like in 2003.

The old FFXI has gold memories for us veterans but that non forgiving model would not be viable on todays standards. SE doesn't want to have servers up for 15-50k players. Accept that and stop crying.
    (0)
    Last edited by Spectreman; 10-09-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectreman View Post
    You guys really think that more years of sidegrades would make any good to this game?
    Seeing as it worked, and I have seen more people leave after their change to vertical progression than ever before, yes, I think that it would do good by compare to what we got.
    (7)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostfowl View Post
    Really? You completed coil of bahamut turns 1-5 already? Interesting seemings that the coil has a climbing difficulty factor such that no one has completed it yet...
    The one piece of content thats meant not to be completed...no. I dont remember saying i did all the content, i said "basically". And just because i did not do the one event that wasnt meant to be completed doesnt mean i wasnt bored and had gone through just about every endgame event there was (which is next to nothing anyway, nor is it hard, just stupid gear checks more than anything, and of course avoiding the big red circles built for dumbys) and of course the awsome "get X amount of tombs for a piece of gear you will chuck out for the next set" BS that just prolonged doing the smae 1 or 2 dungeons to death.
    (3)
    Last edited by leorez; 10-09-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Seeing as it worked, and I have seen more people leave after their change to vertical progression than ever before, yes, I think that it would do good by compare to what we got.
    I did...very well, most games that take this post WoW design of vertical gear climbs dont last more than a handful of months or a year or so before they shut down or go F2P. The "modern" design is barely holding onto players where a game like this even a couple years ago had a 200k or more paying them 13$+ a month.
    (1)

Sidegrades are horrible, the new game design is much better.
    (0)

sidegrades sustained ffxi for 10 years, vertical progression at the scale it currently is at will not.

too much, too fast, too soon, too much left behind
    (9)

Player
    Really to me its more like... Sidegrades sustained FFXI for 10 years, vertical progression crashed FFXI in around 6 months.
    (13)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast