Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Calipso
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99

Entrance requirements for old and outdated content.

Please note, for the purpose of this post, I'm referring to mostly zones like Einherjar, Assault, and Salvage.

TLR; make old content more accessible to everyone by removing the 3-6 player requirements off them!

Progression of content is a big part of most MMOs. New zones, battlefields, gear, etc is released, conquered, and grows old. Rinse and repeat. Unfortunately, a good majority of the old (and extremely old as in 7 years or older) content in FFXI is still relevant and needed in many ways, and has a set 3-6 person requirement for entrance. This can be addressed by lessening requirements, or making the battlefield overall more easy. For one reason or another, you need to get these things done, but it can often prove troublesome and sometimes near impossible to gather like-minded people to satisfy the requirements.

I'm posting in hopes that all entrance requirements from old content is removed.

Yes, I realize FFXI is an MMO, and the whole point is to play together. That's where new/er content like delve and skirmish come in, (or older but still somewhat difficult content like Legion and Voidwatch). However, for new players to the game, or old players wishing to take on older content for whatever reason, they shouldn't be penalized or straight out unable to go because there isn't enough interest to get a group together.

As an example, for someone who's made a mythic and is in the process of making another, getting groups together for Einherjar can be very, very troublesome, which is frustrating because myself and my friend could very easily duo any T3 zone (but of course we can't). If I didn't have 4 characters of my own, I'd likely be shouting for an hour or more every day to fill up my groups.

Another example which I see on a nearly daily basis, are people wanting to do Salvage, but are unable because they can't get 3 - not even offering an incentive of 200,000G to help enter and warp away. (I've watched people shout on Odin for 40min and longer trying to pay someone to help them enter salvage).

Getting people together for assaults can be just as troublesome, as ToAU came out in 2006 and most players have long since been finished there.

Just as a comparison, there are many many battlefields that have a limit of 18-36, and in the case of original Dyna, 64 people, but you can enter with only 1 (even if you won't be all that successful). Some of these are (but not limited to) Legion, Dynamis, Voidwatch, and Delve (which is one of the newest tiers of content). Having entrance requirements on some, but not others, doesn't entirely make sense.
    (18)
    Last edited by Calipso; 09-29-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    Playing since 2004: ★☆ GreenGrumpyShieldBardClub ☆★ Lv119: Carnwenhan, Yagrush(X2), Vajra, Glanzfaust, Kannagi, Mandau, Spharai, Mjollnir, Yoichi. Lv 99: Gjallarhorn (X2), Daurdabla.

Character
    Carcer
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I can't, for the life of me, find the post, but this was addressed like a year ago. Matsui said that it wasn't possible from a server standpoint because they're instanced and if everyone and their mother did it all the time as one-man fields then the "instancing" would make the server lag; which is along the same lines as inventory issues. I vaguely remember him saying they were going to do something like "every tuesday you could assault with 1 person and maybe wednesday do einherjar or something along those lines, but not all week long all the time and maybe in waves depending on region" but again, I can't seem to find the post. Maybe Camate will remember the dates better than me.

edit: although I would also love to see this happen, and I don't see why voidwatch and other non-instanced systems should have this problem. I can understand why assault/einherjar wouldn't work if anyone could enter anytime (like how Dynamis is now-a-days) because that would really screw up goal-tracking. But Salvage could DEFINITELY use some respawns and more people running amok with a permanent "get into Salvage" KI.
    (1)
    Last edited by Rubeus; 09-30-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Character
    Twille
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I don't see the issue. Just allow X number of instances available. If its full, you have to wait. I'd much prefer that to not being able to do it at all because it takes 4 hours to shout for the other 2 members you need.
    (7)

Character
    Kavik
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Twille View Post
    I don't see the issue. Just allow X number of instances available. If its full, you have to wait. I'd much prefer that to not being able to do it at all because it takes 4 hours to shout for the other 2 members you need.
    Fully support. There is a lot of content like this already. Instead of just a general 'please try again later' I think it should tell you how long till one opens like "An instance will be available in 10 minutes" so you can decide to wait or try again at a later time.
    (5)
    FFXI forever! 99 PLD THF DRG DNC WHM SCH BRD BLM BLU BST
    Burtgang Excalibur Aegis Ochain

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I fully support this as well. It's time to remove a lot of restrictions on older content. For the life of me I can't understand why they would instance every battlefield in the game on the same server. However it would do a lot to bringing people back/keeping people around if they could do older content they've always wanted to do but hard to find help for. At least it would make sense to move the new (Seekers of Adoulin and future) instanced content to a new server to alleviate some congestion.
    (0)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Not to mention the rate of people doing Assault/Salvage has to be -far- lower than it was back during the heyday of ToAU.

They can drop the 3-man requirement just fine. And if for some reason it means delays, OH WELL.

Better a wait than being stuck, especially since at this point with the Adoulin level of gear, some of Assault is likely far more soloable than it once was.
    (0)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

I have been wondering about making one or few myself, but haven't really had the motivation to. Even so, I would very much like it if they finally did something about these issues. I do actually do Salvage rather often nowadays still, and I do it mainly for the equipment right now. Being a collector can be horrible... but some of them are actually pretty good for me still (no Adoulin here).

Still gotta get into doing Einherjar, and Nyzul II, too... heh...

So, a status update on said events or any plans whatsoever regarding them would be quite cool indeed.

Anyblue, for those who missed it, here's possibly the most recent (from some months ago, in 2013) official statement regarding this, I maybe guess:

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Greetings,

There has been a lot of feedback asking to remove the party member limitations for various content so that it can be undertaken solo.

Below is a reply from Associate Director Yoji Fujito explaining the technical issues surrounding this as well as a potential solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoji_Fujito View Post
    In regards to this request, there is one large reason why we haven’t been able to easily say yes to this.
    • Simply increasing the amount of layer areas would result in an extreme increase in server lag.

I'm sure many of you are thinking, "What? Lag again?" However, we have data to base this on.

With the recent Salvage "Design Plan Drop Rate Doubled Campaign", the number of areas reached the threshold for the server and server latency bugs began popping up here and there.

These bugs were due to our own lack of gauging the settings and we accept the blame for that. However, what we want you to understand is that the creation of layer areas utilizes a vast amount of server resources (you think of it as the power required to run them).

Layer areas are a system used by various content, and the total amount of server resources (power) has been determined. In the event that we were to simply allow everything to be soloed, we predict that the layer areas would increase exponentially.

Especially considering what would happen on the weekends, I think you can understand why we are hesitant to do this development-wise.

However, we have no intention to deny solo play for layer area content and we think that layer area creation could be allowable for soloing depending on the days and times when concurrency (as well as the number of layer areas) is low.
    (For example, making every Wednesday a day that you can solo Salvage.)

There are various other methods that can be thought of, but given the opportunity this is something that we would like to try out.
    And one from a couple of years ago (2011). This reasoning seems like it might have been given up on quite a while ago, but I feel it's funny enough to mention it again:

We are aware that with the current level of difficulty, it is possible to clear things with less than three people. However, we do not have plans of changing it so that you can solo/duo this content due to the fact that the "cost" of Assault-related content is 3 tags. Therefore, the rewards, and other aspects, are balanced for the "cost" of 3 people or more entering.
    And for no particular reason(s), a few older, similar threads from a stumble around over at the archives:

== 2011 ==== 2012 ==== 2013 ==
    Okay, that's a bit more than a few, yet certainly not all of them! I just went for a look-see for any Assault/Salvage related topics I've subscribed to, and then some. If one were to look for the threads about mythics in particular, the list might be about the same size just from those. Or perhaps there would be less threads in total, but they are likely to have more stuff in them.

I'll leave with this (again from 2011):

I'm sure you'll be glad to hear that just as the dev. team is planning adjustments to Campaign and other content, both Nyzul Isle and the Assault system itself will be seeing changes in the future! While there aren't plans set in stone yet, they plan on handling adjustments in the order that the community speaks the loudest about (so keep that feedback coming!).

Regarding the idea of making Imperial Army I.D. tags like Traverser Stones, they said that it'd be quite difficult to implement with the current system. Instead, they're looking into the possibility of reducing the time for I.D. issuance.
    Blubb.
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Greetings, everyone!

I have some good and much awaited news to share with you from Akihiko Matsui in regards to Assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Akihiko_Matsui View Post
    Matsui here.
    In the December version update we will be eliminating the participant restriction for Assault.
    In order to avoid instance congestion, we had been looking into this extremely carefully; however, we want everyone to be able to enjoy Assault solo and have decided to remove this limitation.
    (33)

Okipuit - Community Team

Player
    So with the removal of the 3 man requirement, any plans to change the tag system at all, meaning direct changes or adding KIs to give a higher cap/lower recharge time like most events now days(Meeble Burrows, Coalitions, ect.)?
    (6)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    So with the removal of the 3 man requirement, any plans to change the tag system at all, meaning direct changes or adding KIs to give a higher cap/lower recharge time like most events now days(Meeble Burrows, Coalitions, ect.)?
    I believe removing the tag system would result in faster production of the mythic's which in turn means high congestion in the assault areas. Not to defend SE in this matter, but to give reason to why they might want to keep the tags in place.

I, for one, look forward to this change though. This means if I'm bored I can get my captain rank finally. HA! And if you think of it still, this also means your buddies to run Salvage with, can no longer wait for you to help them run Assaults with to get points! Not that I wouldn't help, but it now gives them to the chance to get these points before hand on their own and in greater quantity I would imagine.
    (3)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast