Player

Unlocking Relic Weapon Skills?

So, it seems that the plan is still to unlock Empyrean Weapon Skills via Coin weapons, however I must ask, are there plans to make Relic Weapon Skills able to be unlocked to use with all weapons somehow? I ask because while some Empyrean Weapon Skills like Great Axe, Hand-to-Hand, and Sword, are awesome, but other weapons like Scythe or Dagger get a lot more use from their Relic Weapon Skill. If things are to be balanced between the weapons, I personally think it only be right that Relic Weapon Skills be unlocked as well, after all, Scythes are the survival weapon of DRKs thanks to Catastrophe, but if Relic Weapon Skills are not unlocked, it will be left behind once again. Dagger will lose out on its STR Mod WS as well, and I am sure there are other Relic Weapon Skills of worth as well which do not come to immediate attention.

But basically, I just want to know if this is in the works as well, or will it only be done for Empyrean Weapon Skills?
    (4)

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    So, it seems that the plan is still to unlock Empyrean Weapon Skills via Coin weapons, however I must ask, are there plans to make Relic Weapon Skills able to be unlocked to use with all weapons somehow? I ask because while some Empyrean Weapon Skills like Great Axe, Hand-to-Hand, and Sword, are awesome, but other weapons like Scythe or Dagger get a lot more use from their Relic Weapon Skill. If things are to be balanced between the weapons, I personally think it only be right that Relic Weapon Skills be unlocked as well, after all, Scythes are the survival weapon of DRKs thanks to Catastrophe, but if Relic Weapon Skills are not unlocked, it will be left behind once again. Dagger will lose out on its STR Mod WS as well, and I am sure there are other Relic Weapon Skills of worth as well which do not come to immediate attention.

But basically, I just want to know if this is in the works as well, or will it only be done for Empyrean Weapon Skills?
    Abyssea has fake-relic weapons with the relic WS on a 13-hit charge, so it should be possible to use those for a quest to unlock them.
    (0)
    "Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
    Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"

Player
    Well that's the thing, we can use Mythic WSs by unlocking them with vigil weapon, now were being told we will be able to use Empyrean WSs by unlocking them with Coin weapons. I simply wonder if we could somehow be allowed to unlock Relic WSs, because it will be the one left out, and any weapon which relies on it for a primary WS like Dagger or Scythe, will be left out of having that valuable WS due to that exclusion. I would love for SE to officially say one way or the other if it will be done or not, because their original plan was to let us unlock WSs from all 3, and once their plans changed, it only kept mentioning unlocking Empyrean, but Relic got lost somewhere in there, I just want to know if it will happen to or not.
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The thing we have to remember with unlocking these skills... is that the REM that is tied to the skill usually will offer a bonus to the skill's use when used...
    So it's not so much that DRK will fall behind by being forced to use Apocalypse... They'll use that anyways due to the +25% WS damage from using Catastrophe with Apocalypse.

So unlocking the WS for the use of the job/s won't really affect the "pigeonholding" of any job... because the WS will always be more powerful with the accompanying weapon... so the weapon will always be preferred.
    (0)

Player
    Ok, say for instance I am a DRK who likes Scythes, but can not make use of them really because they are weak in general. This is actually the exact case, I am that kind of DRK, however, I really don't want to go make an Apoc for the WS, even if I did, I have no idea what they will want us to do to upgrade them to 120 or whatever from 99. So in the end, I would rather a way to unlock it, much like Mythic WS can be unlocked with Vigil weapons, their base form, or Emps with the Coin weapons, a sort of rip-off version. That way I can use Scythes and be effective, but I don't have to make a level 120 Apoc just so I can use Scythes without feeling like a loser.

I know obviously using the WS attached to the Relic is more beneficial for the WS itself than using it on a different weapon, but at the same time, I think we should have more freedom with Relic WSs like the other two are getting. Especially for the fact it will be weaker with other weapons, while Emps will remain just as strong on WS numbers.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I doubt they will do it. Vigil you mentioned... well that's just how they worked you actually need the ws to get the mythic plus they don't have lvl 3 properties. If they do the empyrean ws that's still kinda different from the relic because that's all the coin weapons do so importing it from there kinda makes sense. But there is no such thing for relic unless you count the abyssea ones. If they did import it over I'd be willing to wager you'd have to 99 a relic to do it lol

As far as comparing strength I'd say empyreans actually lose more. Depends on the job of course but 50% ODD will probably be better than 40% ws dmg . But that's probably partly because most relic ws just plain suck and you'd be better off using a better ws. As for your situation having cata wont really help you do much other than heal yourself a little. You have several ws that already deal decently more dmg
    (0)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Along with fixing some of the relic weapon skills so they are good on the jobs themselves, I'd like to honestly seem to unlock Relic weapon skills. I've been having the same thought since they decided to unlock Empyrean weapon skills.

Like previous posters have said, there are the weapons from abyssea that allow you to use the relic weaponskill after 13 uses. They could easily make it so you had to complete a trial or trade items or do something in Dynamis with it, to unlock the WS.

They said they wanted to revive older content recently, this would be a way to get people back into Dynamis. Which I'm sure plently of people are tired of, but overall it revives older content. I for one would be happy to have some of them and another task to add to my list of things to accomplish.

Edit: Also to add that a lot of the Relic weaponskills already have unique additional effects (not talking about ODD). That would be nice utility weapon skills for some jobs. That would be incentive enough, also there's lots of completionists out there who would do it for the sake of doing it. So while it might not be beneficial to do it for "the next great damage weaponskill". It would be a desirable goal for many nonetheless and that's the point of a game.
    (1)
    Last edited by Rwolf; 09-13-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: add more