Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [dev1156]

Character
    Magnox
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    It just looks so horrible, almost as if they are trying to make it look cheap and tacky. Not gonna make me want to look at it every other day.
    (0)

I don't know if people are looking at the screenshots or the UI in game. The screenshots do look awful, they do, but actually seeing implemented, it's not terrible. It's not beautiful, but I'm pretty sure, and hope, they'll be applying skins soon.
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    The current UI as implemented on the test server is ugly and not functional. Also, the majority of the actual feature additions only really benefit people that actively use the mouse when they play FFXI.

There are exactly two features of the new UI that I welcome, and I'm still not sure how I would use one of them:

1) Macro indicator that shows you when an ability is unusable, waiting on recast, or available. -- I doubt I would be able to behaviorally incorporate this into my playstyle, but it's at least a good idea.

2) A second log. -- I do not know how I would use this at the moment. Perhaps I would use it to create a "battle" vs. "chat" log?
    (4)

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    They have said tons of times this is early build so of course this isnt its "final look." Theres buttons missing and descriptions missing. They are developing the function before appearance, so it will look better in the future. No use in a pretty UI if it doesnt work worth a crap.
    (2)

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    That is how i am going to use the two logs. have one be battle centric and one with chat, then i can filter less stuff. Unless not filterign makes it laggy still.
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    1) Macro indicator that shows you when an ability is unusable, waiting on recast, or available. -- I doubt I would be able to behaviorally incorporate this into my playstyle, but it's at least a good idea.
    I expect you'll be using it much like I will be: hmm it's been about 40s... *recast macro* 2s left till JA...
    It's kinda just there to outdate the use of a recast macro. Which is nice. It basically means instead of hitting a recast macro, you'll just hold crtl/alt/or just look up at it and see that it turned green.

My only concern over the timer display color thing, gear change macros would always be "green" so a macro with a JA and gear swap will never go red. It will always go yellow due to the /equip being evergreen.
    If there was a way of ignoring any /equip commands in the calculations of the display of the macro timer color...
    that would be more in line with the intent of the timer, at least if I understand everything anyways.
    (0)

Character
    Kristal
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnox View Post
    It just looks so horrible, almost as if they are trying to make it look cheap and tacky. Not gonna make me want to look at it every other day.
    This is just a working prototype. The final version will very likely have plenty of customizing options, such as border style, border color, background color and window transparancy.

These new windows should also make it possible to list all the stats we can't see with the old UI, as well as seperate windows for pets. I really would like automaton attachments to be visible somewhere, so I know when an automaton ability is ready to occur.
    (0)
    "Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
    Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"

Character
    Leara
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I myself play FFXI on my windows pc with a gamepad so I can navigate around with both keyboard (macros, mainly) & gamepad (menus & movement) & looking at the new images, it doesn't look good. Prone to many glitches & errors and I don't see why SE needs to change the UI so late in the day for the game.

I think there is a simple solution, however. Under "Windows" option in the menu, give us the option of either "Modern" UI (the new one) or "Classic" UI (the current one we're all used to). This then gives us flexibility in how we want to play FFXI & we can switch comfortably between the two UI. SE can also monitor how many people use each interface.

Remember SE, we are the customer & if we cannot play the game with ease, people may start to head over to FFXIV sooner rather that later.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RichLester View Post
    I myself play FFXI on my windows pc with a gamepad so I can navigate around with both keyboard (macros, mainly) & gamepad (menus & movement) & looking at the new images, it doesn't look good. Prone to many glitches & errors and I don't see why SE needs to change the UI so late in the day for the game.

I think there is a simple solution, however. Under "Windows" option in the menu, give us the option of either "Modern" UI (the new one) or "Classic" UI (the current one we're all used to). This then gives us flexibility in how we want to play FFXI & we can switch comfortably between the two UI. SE can also monitor how many people use each interface.

Remember SE, we are the customer & if we cannot play the game with ease, people may start to head over to FFXIV sooner rather that later.
    You see FFXI as a game really isn't late in it's day... just gone are the days of many great adventerers joining the game on a consistant basis.. the game more or less has been getting continuous and progressive upgrades since the begining... the only thing that's happening is less players are playing.. so from my perspective this seems normal and actualy good for the game in the long run as giving more players freedoms to customize their game-play and understand their game without having to use internets for every nook and cranny is quite a boon to a game that prides itself for not really needing guides to continously increase your knowledge of the game in order to play it.

they already said they will keep servers going until there are literally no players left playing. so telling them their game is in jeopardy of players moving is somewhat intimidating but in the long run they know people will keep playing.

as to your first paragraph this is still beta testing... more updates to go and experimenting to be done on their part while we fiddle with the latest creation.
    (0)

Character
    Leara
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    True, I agree. Of course, there will be players playing FFXI for as long as it lives & for that, I apologise. Was premature of me. It's just I don't want the UI we have currently to disappear for good as so many players have got used to using it in certain ways over the years & a new UI can slow the speed of commands players activate while we get used it. I am expecting another world merge soon, though.

Looking at the announcement again, I believe we can toggle between the new & old UI:

"Activating the New User Interface

To activate the new user interface, you must first update your Test Client to the latest version and check the box next to “Activate New UI” in the “Misc.” tab of the FINAL FANTASY XI Config program." ... phew In that case, if we leave this unchecked, will the old UI stay where it is? Can SE leave this feature in the live version please?

I'm sure there will be skins added to help the players but testing won't be able to cover everything (will old cutscenes with certain options to select work alright? for e.g.). I'm sure they'll iron out most of the glitches before it is released.
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3