Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    They brought back the Star Wars npc's that alone is awsome, Now they will down the road have them run into the abyssea. When they bring on even more old school fan favorites or gamers favorites.

Ff14 is closing out all the old npc story lines from there entire franchises that were fan favorites.

The Good thing on ff11 now there starting to close out some those npc story lines. In the game.
    (0)
    A Mind that has been stretched will Never Return to its original Dimension....
    (author unknown)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjou View Post
    Don't count on it, you avoid the game like it's the plague, that's cool, but don't trash it because you don't like it. People will like it, you can't control that by constantly bringing it down. I used to be just like you, I hated abyssea, I hated XIV, but now look at my stance on Abyssea: I love it now. Anything short of the same reason for FFXIV is bogus, because in XIV your character is more than just a character than what it is in XI. You can legitimately create your character to your liking instead of "Ok pick face...4 and...hair A" now you're picking their skin tone, eye colors (Yes I said colors, meaning heterochromia), height, hair color, etc. Not only that but the environment that XIV is in put me in a much more 'healthy' environment than the pseudo-cold war that XI is in, and people were just much more friendlier.

People flock to a game with a friendly community, can you legitimately say XI's community is friendly? No, it is not sadly, I truly wish it was but every server that I've seen people are only interested in helping -if- they get something out of it in return, otherwise people won't even look at you. I met a great friend who's helped me through my limit breaks (Despite having to solo the first one) but every time I ask for help with things that are trivial to a single lvl 99 player, no one will ever volunteer to help. XIV I didn't have that problem, so you mean to tell me that "People are just gonna come back, cya in xyz amount of time"? Are you serious? Why would I wanna come back to a game that's nothing but a giant headache to me both with the content and the community, when XIV is offering brand new stuff that is new player friendly and I have the community to play with and enjoy this content instead of hunting solo for toy weapons in CoP, RotZ, and ToAU? I can tell you I'd rather go play with friends, and when my desktop gets fixed you won't be seeing me anywhere around here anymore
    WoW just wow, I remember I rarely ever get help with my MNK AF in 14 1.0 if I /shout that I had to ask friends and LS.....get real, not helping unless getting something out of it is human nature, it's not XI only thing.
    (5)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sc4500 View Post
    http://www.gamingunion.net/news/fina...mpaign=Feed%3A

They had 150k+ concurrent users on at once so far for there beta. Held buy PSO 2 beta of 107k in japan still impressive number for them.

For those that are wonderong there is a lot former ffxi on ff14 also.

They had to shutdown the NA/EU side do a 3102 bug fix that broke the game.

They have added like 5 more servers in 48hrs.

Game fun . Not sure how many true old school veterans from ffxi will actually leave ffxi though. I'm sure we will see a slight decline in next few months.

Here another article were can see some other games that are running normal. To see that is a impressive number. This little out date from may 2013.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/league-...layers-6405485

Shows a few steam games that were popular as concurrent users.
    Yes XIV will affect playerbase, but nowhere near as bad as ppl been saying. 14 is just another WoW, and WoW didn't kill XI, GW2 didn't kill XI, SWTOR didnt' kill XI, Rift didn't kill XI, armies of F2P MMO didn't kill XI, I fail to see how another WoW would suddenly kill XI.

I mean, those players hating XI's design, hating XI's grind, hating spending 5hr making pt to wipe in event, hating lack of pt search and have to look at wiki to do quest already go to WoW at 2004. So what's the point to go to another WoW clone NOW?

Only current XI player XIV's getting, are players wanting XI to be WoW for years, but refuse to play WoW for w/e reason(mainly because of art style), now their dream come true, FFXI in WoW style!

Ppl truly liking unique aspect of XI aren't leaving XI IMO.
    (3)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellcaster View Post
    Seriously? a lot of people don't have any idea of what's going on @ ffxi? the game is on a huge decline and dying slowly. Most servers are ghost towns/ barely reaching 1k players online and half of that number are mules/afk non-active player (not counting weekends) Ffxi is dead, please check your facts before posting on these forums, ffxi servers are designed to hold 5-6k players

ffxi was so dead when so many players moved to ff14 back on version 1.0/1.22 , It will get worse when ARR release @ august 27 for ps3/pc.

Anyone that saids ffxi won't die is on a huge denial. Because it's already dead. theres only 17/33 servers atm, i expect another server merge soon , because there is no enough players atm to do new content now , unless you pay big amount of gil for it.
    All MMOs face decline eventually, it's fact. Maybe you should go check WoW's current stat.

FFXI wouldn't die this fast if SoA didn't change game direction drastically, it pissed many ppl away. It certainly isn't XIV's fault. Many ppl quitting XI for XIV would quit XI at some point already.
    (3)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    Sorry, what exactly do you learn about healing and managing hate when you solo to cap?
    There's more to group play than healing and aggro management. Proper use of skills, rotations, mobility, situational awareness, general understanding of stats, and clear knowledge of what your class is about.
    How do you know if you have a proper tanking style if you're solo?
    Smart design would call for the aggro abilities to be introduced and built on during solo play, with clear indications of what generates high threat (unsurprisingly, XI's design failed here because most of the time we were guessing and second guessing what the few abilities we gained actually did). The rest is figuring out the rotation and learning how to move out of the bad stuff, both of which can be figured out during solo play as much as with a group.
    Mage solo play is go all-out guns-blazin before your target kills you, while mage party play is to maximize damage while not pulling off the tank.
    Mage solo also involves smart use of CC and cooldowns, as well as figuring out which is more effective depending on the situation. You frost nova when adds are on you, you sheep stuff if you want to remove a mob from the fight for a little bit. Both you learn to use to their best in solo play while still being useful in party play.
    having played old XI, and then WoW following that, I can tell you it was a lot more common to find level capped people who didn't understand the playstyle of their class in WoW than it was in pre-aby XI.
    And as someone who played FFXI and then WoW, I can tell you that claim is complete and utter BS. Forced partying doesn't instantly make you a better player, and it certainly did not make FFXI a better game. Unless you conveniently forgot the ridiculous amount of vitriol that flew around if you were either not "up to par" for exp parties or simply went against whatever the hive mind wanted for that specific level range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    FFXI wouldn't die this fast if SoA didn't change game direction drastically, it pissed many ppl away. It certainly isn't XIV's fault. Many ppl quitting XI for XIV would quit XI at some point already.
    Seekers' main flaw is that a lot of the stuff it introduced makes no sense. They introduced entry-level events like Skirmish but with the crappiest upgrade system known to man (random augments) in an attempt to force replayability. Let us not forget the mess with Delve (releasing weapons too early as well as the devs caving to RME crying). Colonization is still terrible in concept given the current game's population and what people do for EXP.

These issues, combined with the myriad of other things that are broken, have been neglected or were poorly implemented and need a redesign starts piling up.
    (2)
    Last edited by Duelle; 08-22-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

I know a lot of people from FFXI that are going to to play FFXIV. After how boring the new Skirmish 2 was in the last patch I can see why. I am going to play FFXIV as well since I already played 1.0 before. FFXI even seemed kind of low pop on the weekend when the 14 beta was going.

FFXIV:ARR is a new game and it shows SE is putting a lot of work into it. I do expect to see a lot of players I knew play 14 as well.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Yes XIV will affect playerbase, but nowhere near as bad as ppl been saying. 14 is just another WoW, and WoW didn't kill XI, GW2 didn't kill XI, SWTOR didnt' kill XI, Rift didn't kill XI, armies of F2P MMO didn't kill XI, I fail to see how another WoW would suddenly kill XI.

I mean, those players hating XI's design, hating XI's grind, hating spending 5hr making pt to wipe in event, hating lack of pt search and have to look at wiki to do quest already go to WoW at 2004. So what's the point to go to another WoW clone NOW?

Only current XI player XIV's getting, are players wanting XI to be WoW for years, but refuse to play WoW for w/e reason(mainly because of art style), now their dream come true, FFXI in WoW style!

Ppl truly liking unique aspect of XI aren't leaving XI IMO.
    This isn't a WoW game its Final Fantasy. All those games you listed aren't Final Fantasy so they would have a lesser impact on FFXI.
    (0)

Character
    Meyi
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    -sigh- They've been saying XIV will kill XI for the last... six years now? When FFXI does end -- whether it be because of XIV's success or because XI has finally fallen -- I'm sure we'll be hearing XIV brag about its destruction irregardless. :/

If you want to play XIV, play XIV. If you want to play XI, play XI. Seeing all of these "XIV WILL BREAK XI!!!!11oneone" topics is mildly depressing.
    (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    ^_________________________________________________________________^

Quote Originally Posted by Duelle View Post
    There's more to group play than healing and aggro management. Proper use of skills, rotations, mobility, situational awareness, general understanding of stats, and clear knowledge of what your class is about.
    Again, where does a thief or paladin learn class play in soloing. Where does a white mage?

Smart design would call for the aggro abilities to be introduced and built on during solo play, with clear indications of what generates high threat (unsurprisingly, XI's design failed here because most of the time we were guessing and second guessing what the few abilities we gained actually did). The rest is figuring out the rotation and learning how to move out of the bad stuff, both of which can be figured out during solo play as much as with a group.
    Yep and the only tank I've ever played that kind of naturally taught you how to play it was ninja. As you well know, people that picked up red mage would solo one way and be greatly disappointed with how different party play was.

Mage solo also involves smart use of CC and cooldowns, as well as figuring out which is more effective depending on the situation. You frost nova when adds are on you, you sheep stuff if you want to remove a mob from the fight for a little bit. Both you learn to use to their best in solo play while still being useful in party play.
    Yeah CC's are important.

And as someone who played FFXI and then WoW, I can tell you that claim is complete and utter BS. Forced partying doesn't instantly make you a better player, and it certainly did not make FFXI a better game. Unless you conveniently forgot the ridiculous amount of vitriol that flew around if you were either not "up to par" for exp parties or simply went against whatever the hive mind wanted for that specific level range.
    Forced partying doesn't *make* you a better player, but a lack of partying hurts your opportunity to be, and then you get, as did happen in WoW, tanks new to level cap who had no idea how to hold hate. They'd come in in DPS gear, because it worked for 60, 70, 80 levels and get plowed over. Healers not comfortable with mana management because all they've ever done is cure themselves while they swing a club..

Then these players do get in groups and get yelled at for doing it completely wrong.

All of these games could be designed better, to teach players without the need for group play, but they never think that far ahead, thus the best source of learning how to interact with other players is interacting with other players.
    (1)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    Again, where does a thief or paladin learn class play in soloing. Where does a white mage?
    Just that. They solo. Which is the way they will spend most of their time after they hit level cap as well.

Seriously though,
    Making people learn in parties just moves a little of the learning curve from endgame to the middle. It doesn't shorten it and it doesn't make you any better. The only difference between learning your job while doing exp. parties and learning your job after you have burned it is the level of characters that you are annoying. If you get in my exp party and don't know wtf you are doing, I'm just as likely to hate you as if you had gotten in my delve group and not known wtf you were doing. It's all the same to me. If you and I are at the same level, I expect you to know your job at that level.

Leveling in the slow way just means you are noobing it up in a different area and probably doing it to people who are far less capable of picking up your slack due to the relative weakness of their jobs at lower levels. People don't develop learning disabilities at level 99. They either had them the whole time or they don't have them at all. My IQ doesn't skyrocket when I play a level 17 job at the dunes. Neither does any one else's.

Nobody lines up for the thief at 99. In fact they try to move out of your way most of the time and spin the mob as much as possible. Paladins don't hold hate at 99. They either stand there and get punched in the face while DDs kill other stuff, or they contribute shitty damage while DDs kill the mob they are on. Pulling is the same whether solo or in a group. Learning what gear to wear or what abilities did in a party died back when the first FFXI fan/wiki site went live.

Face it stupid people who suck at everything exist and changing the way people level isn't going to un-stupid them. It will just make you experience their stupidity at a different point in the game. Even the laziest, dumbest a-hole will reach 99 eventually and inevitably end up in your delve pick up group.
    (3)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast