Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Character
    Damane
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    people overreacting again for nothing, FFXI isnt gonna die for another few years.
    (1)

Player
    I don't understand why anyone will bash FFXIV. I get people love FFXI but in reality it's the same family. Just 14 is the next new version.

And every Final Fantasy game I've played always had improvements, which I'm sure 14 has everything we complained about.

After watching many videos, it seems like they did an impressive job. Although I remember day 1, no coordination, people were lost and just about everything around you was able to wipe everyone.

And they only had barely a few jobs. I cried because I bought the collectors addition, got mugged by 2 guys on my way home. Went back to buy another one. Over $200 spent on disappointment.

So yeah I remember how bad it was, and will never forget that moment but from speaking to others, I hear the improvements are insane.
    (0)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I cried because I bought the collectors addition, got mugged by 2 guys on my way home. Went back to buy another one. Over $200 spent on disappointment.
    Seriously?!?! You got mugged for a game disc? WTF is the world coming to?

My buddy dropped $2k on a top end computer just to play it and he said he felt like he was robbed, but man... you actually got mugged?
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankReynolds View Post
    Seriously?!?! You got mugged for a game disc? WTF is the world coming to?

My buddy dropped $2k on a top end computer just to play it and he said he felt like he was robbed, but man... you actually got mugged?
    Yeah now I learned now not to walk out of a game store sporting a "Game stop" bag the size big enough to say "Jump me on the corner and steal my computer game you won't play or sell easily because you are an idiot thinking it was a Game Console instead."

That's how New York City is, especially when a mall decides to occupy a space near the ghetto projects where people will kill you for $5 to buy crack.
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 08-21-2013 at 02:35 PM.

For a lot of people, the issue is that they moved away from what made XI great and more towards what made WoW great. FFXI is among a dying breed because it never boasted ELEVENTY MILLION PLAYERS.

From my perspective, an example of that is the party grinder. That's what so many of us loved about XI cuz you made friends while partying. You also learned things about your job which is something you don't learn while solo questing.

FFXIV, like WoW, you can dungeon grind all the way up or quest grind all the way up but party-grinding is the least effective method (because they designed it that way).

Is it any sillier to kill 40 rats because you want exp than it is to kill 40 rats because the NPC tells you to?
    (2)
    Last edited by OmnysValefor; 08-21-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    For a lot of people, the issue is that they moved away from what made XI great and more towards what made WoW great. FFXI is among a dying breed because it never boasted ELEVENTY MILLION PLAYERS.

From my perspective, an example of that is the party grinder. That's what so many of us loved about XI cuz you made friends while partying. You also learned things about your job which is something you don't learn while solo questing.

FFXIV, like WoW, you can dungeon grind all the way up or quest grind all the way up but party-grinding is the least effective method (because they designed it that way).

Is it any sillier to kill 40 rats because you want exp than it is to kill 40 rats because the NPC tells you to?
    Yeah I wonder how long will it take for people to start knowing the game, gear, statistics and then change into "I only party with you if you have this, this and that."

Which is why FFXI is failing. People too busy worried about getting the next big item. Even if they have to step on you, leave you behind.
    (0)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    For a lot of people, the issue is that they moved away from what made XI great and more towards what made WoW great.
    XIV already has what made XI great: the words Final Fantasy in the title.

That's what so many of us loved about XI cuz you made friends while partying. You also learned things about your job which is something you don't learn while solo questing.
    I am tempted to go into how false both of these claims are, but suffice to say the "questing won't help you learn your job" mentality has been debunked several times over. Not to mention a person can party-grind to cap and still not know how to play.

To answer your question, yes. At least when the NPC tells you about their rat problem they're giving you context, making the whole thing driven by an in-world purpose. I felt more as part of the game world when given context on my journey to level cap over putting up with false standards during the leveling process; there's plenty of that in endgame already.
    (0)

Sorry, what exactly do you learn about healing and managing hate when you solo to cap?

How do you know if you have a proper tanking style if you're solo?

Mage solo play is go all-out guns-blazin before your target kills you, while mage party play is to maximize damage while not pulling off the tank.

Yeah, no, having played old XI, and then WoW following that, I can tell you it was a lot more common to find level capped people who didn't understand the playstyle of their class in WoW than it was in pre-aby XI.
    (0)

Player
    Actually you both are making a conflicting argument in a sense that not every player learns the same. What you learn in a party may not directly teach you the same values one can learn solo.

Then again not everyone has the same mind or the capacity to learn.

In a party situation I learned to conserve mp, control enmity, work as a team.

In a solo situation I learned to test different gear sets, mobs abilities, spells and how to reduce/resist damage. How to survive and know when a mob is too much to handle.

Then again I also learned more about other jobs and the abilities/gear they use for those jobs and how they improve their gameplay through conversation and observing.

But as solo I was able to learn about different atmas, buffs, food, self independence.

Party situation taught me to be patient, some people afk a lot, purposely DC or fall asleep in secret.
    That some people Duel box at events and you would never known if you didn't pay attention.

Solo taught me to do it myself without depending on others.

So yeah both can teach you different things.
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 08-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Character
    Spelljr
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Seriously? a lot of people don't have any idea of what's going on @ ffxi? the game is on a huge decline and dying slowly. Most servers are ghost towns/ barely reaching 1k players online and half of that number are mules/afk non-active player (not counting weekends) Ffxi is dead, please check your facts before posting on these forums, ffxi servers are designed to hold 5-6k players

ffxi was so dead when so many players moved to ff14 back on version 1.0/1.22 , It will get worse when ARR release @ august 27 for ps3/pc.

Anyone that saids ffxi won't die is on a huge denial. Because it's already dead. theres only 17/33 servers atm, i expect another server merge soon , because there is no enough players atm to do new content now , unless you pay big amount of gil for it.
    (4)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast