Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

Is using the Logitech Profiler a violation of the ToS?

Hi SE,

I have a question. I have the wireless Logitech controller. The controller comes with a program called "Logitech Profiler." This program allows the player to macro keystrokes or commands to specific controller buttons. I can see how this can be useful in FFXI. Here is an example: For many endgame content it is useful to have an /assist macro. It takes time to open up the macro palette, choose the assist macro, and activate it. It would be faster to use the Logitech Profiler to assign the right stick button to type "/assist player".

Here is where it gets foggy. Is the Logitech Profiler considered a third party tool and thus illegal to use in FF?
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    You will never get an official response to such a question, but you will also be unlikely to be banned for using it unless you automate actions with it in such a way that someone reports you.
    (2)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

I believe any response would be something that could basically be read from the User Agreement. That, and something like this:

One of the main things that matter, is that is one automating things (like mentioned above). Also known as absentee-play, or botting.

Another one is, if one is binding two or more actions into one key (or rather, more actions than intended).

Simply re-binding keys to one's mouse-buttons for example is not a violation of any user agreement I have stumbled upon or dealt with. Making a key or a button insert strings however might be stretching that a bit... I would personally bind something like Alt+1 to it instead.

Then again, having a key 'type' /assist <player> does not really differ from what a regular macro does.

The foggy part here is, is opening the macro palette and activating a macro one or two actions. Strictly speaking, it is two, especially considering the game-pad scheme where the palette is toggled instead of 'held out'. Even so, generally I think Alt+1 for example is seen as one action.

Keyboards and mice have been providing macro and other such utilities for such a long time now (I've had a G15 keyboard for a small eternity myself), that if they were a violation of the user agreement and such, there shouldn't be almost any players around at all, in almost any game there is. Maybe some on consoles would remain, heh!

These are of course just my thoughts on it all, and I could be wrong. ^^
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Raksha
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I seem to remember SE giving away a g15 keyboard as a prize for something years ago. Am I on crack or did that really happen?
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    I want to say that there's a middle ground here but this isn't really middle ground. A lot of old systems were shit. Some new systems aren't much better. What's in the middle of shit and shit? More Shit. So no, I don't want a middle ground. I want something good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsoul View Post
    >Twilight Scythe is overpowered that's why we're nerfing it
    >Weapons with double damage compared to relic

LOGIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    \m/ (*.*) \m/ "THIS SOLUTION IS THE MOST METAL!" \m/ (*.*) \m/

You are on crack, but it did actually happen.
    (4)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Yer both on something unreal, I'd say.
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.