Player

Strategy Guides for New Or Returning Players

Hey Guys,

My name is Daemon, Ive been playing FFXI since day 1, currently residing on the Phoenix server. I came to the forums one day inspired by someone who opened my eyes to the issue many players on every server new or returning are facing. It all began one day I was out roaming the map for the Notorious Monster Gargantua. With 2 more fight objectives for my Empyrean Sword Almace, I saw a Taru ninja running around the spawn area. After asking to join him I assumed he was working on his Kannagi for Blade:Hi Trial. After a few minutes passed I noticed he was fighting something so I ran over to see if the Trial NM popped. To my surprise he was fighting a T3 VNM. After wiping out he lost his T3 Key item, so I offered to pop his trial NM using my Key Item.

His response was: "Why you wanna help me bro?"

I answered: "Because I want to"

And his reply was : Oh.... Usually no one wants to help."

Saddened by this, I came here to meet people, read several topics from others and decided to write out some basic guides for New or Returning players who are lost and need direction.

These 2 Guides are currently a work in progress, and by far from complete however I am adding new things when i have the time. Please forgive me if you do not see anything that you can benefit from the info I've written but to those who find value, please show some support and feel free to leave any comments, request for advice etc and thank you.

Beginners Guide to FFXI
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...eginners-Guide

Revelations Strategy Guide FFXI
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...egy-Guide-FFXI

Thank you.
    (0)

Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    Meh since no one else will say it...

Why did you feel the need to make a thread in each of the server forums? Couldn't you just make one thread...

I actually like you Daemon, you always seem to be trying to help new players, but you sometimes come across a bit needy of attention especially when it comes to your guides. I know you spent alot of time on them and I am sure they are fantastic but theres a fine line between "helpful" and "annoying".
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Deifact View Post
    Meh since no one else will say it...

Why did you feel the need to make a thread in each of the server forums? Couldn't you just make one thread...

I actually like you Daemon, you always seem to be trying to help new players, but you sometimes come across a bit needy of attention especially when it comes to your guides. I know you spent alot of time on them and I am sure they are fantastic but theres a fine line between "helpful" and "annoying".
    I assumed not everybody looks on other world servers. Honestly I don't need attention. I do however wish more people would give me feedback because I have no idea if my guide is helping anyone. I spend so much time in game testing out stuff to include in my guides. From atmas, equipment, foods, skill ups, farming. I apologize if you think I'm annoying. I can't read anyone's minds. To see over 4,000 views and barely any feedback makes me wonder if I'm helping anyone or not.

I even created a brand new character just to write the beginners guide and include walkthroughs as I level up and write in quests, missions, things that could help someone who is just starting new.
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 07-23-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I assumed not everybody looks on other world servers. Honestly I don't need attention. I do however wish more people would give me feedback because I have no idea if my guide is helping anyone. I spend so much time in game testing out stuff to include in my guides. From atmas, equipment, foods, skill ups, farming. I apologize if you think I'm annoying. I can't read anyone's minds. To see over 4,000 views and barely any feedback makes me wonder if I'm helping anyone or not.

I even created a brand new character just to write the beginners guide and include walkthroughs as I level up and write in quests, missions, things that could help someone who is just starting new.
    Sorry I was hot and grumpy yesterday, take what I say with that in mind.

Do you have any interest in FFXIV:ARR? Not wanting to derail the thread, but the FFXI playerbase is a little "stagnant" and I feel your time and effort is a little wasted on it. However, when FFXIV:ARR is released in August there will be alot of new players who I am sure would be very grateful for someone to write a new starters guide (especially if you played FFXIV v1, you could include background information of events that happened to fill people in).

On topic!

I have looked through your revelations guide, and although I can't comment on the content so much (I'm still too lazy to do much endgame stuff) I like the layout. The Information is clear, but with the limitations of this forum it can be a bit difficult to find certain information. It might be worth creating a pdf or similiar (this can be annoying to update) or if you have your own website you can have a contents page etc. to make information a bit easier to find.

I like the "Quick level to 99" sections, and I think if you expanded more on this it would be great. It might be worth having this as a seperate guide though, and please do include information for important gear sets (keep in mind most people will fly through earlier levels, so if a peice of equipment is going to take a week to farm it might be worth leaving it out). For me personally, I'm still stuck in the level 75 days and don't really have much of an idea of what gear to obtain at higher levels or where to go to level, so this guide interests me personally.

I guess parting words would be, maybe think about dividing the guide up into sections either via a contents page or into individual guides.

Oh and make some FFXIV:ARR guides too!
    (0)

Player
    Thanks, with the limitations of the tools you get for writing a post, lack of colors, ability to make text look perfectly squared when writing out stat lists, background, multicolor text etc, yeah it's hard to do much.

As for FFXIV I'm not sure yet as I will see how it goes when the game relaunches. I was there the first time when it was an utter failure, however I'm sure it won't be the same the second time around.

Reason I posted the guides here is because its easier for new players to find it being that most come to the forums asking questions.

As for the quick level to 99 part, I'm still working on it. Will continue to add parts when I have time and then maybe one day I will move it over to PDF format. Glad you can find some helpful info and keep checking in from time to time

Most of all thank you for the feedback.
    (0)

Someone pointed out in another thread, sorry can't remember if it was you or another, that there are so many things players want/need to accomplish that there is less and less motivation to divert to help someone else.

Thing is, it's really easy to get jaded here. Most of us have been around for so long, I started Dec '03, you almost don't want to be bothered anymore. Not to say that's really fair to new players, but it is what it is.

Good luck with your guides though, I suppose it is a bit refreshing to see that people still go out of their way to do whatever for random people.

Oh, just to say, when I browse the forums I usually just click the 'New Posts' link and go from there. The day you made your server posts the New Post link (it doesn't show the forum locations at a glance) looked like a full page of the same topic. That's probably why Deifact made the comments he did.;p
    (0)

Character
    Spawnman
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I'm liking what I've seen so far, but as you admitted yourself... it is going to progress slowly. Now I didn't know about the Adoulin gear until reading your guide, so thank you for that! I am curious as to how 99 chars should progress the magian trials though. I will admit that the driving factor for this request is because I'm currently undertaking my donto trials. The NM's don't seem that bad to camp for a day so far... but from what i've seen on the later ones I could be camping them for weeks/months. By that time would the end result weapon be outdated? I'd give you stats on my SAM but I'm currently patching the "final spring expansion".
    (0)

Spawnman, you bumped a 2 year old thread lol. I imagine the guides are outdated, and I know for sure magian weapons are not ilvl and never will be, so outside of an empyrean, I'd suggest not wasting your time on them.
    (0)