Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    Only reason I'm confused with your statement about magic skill, and not affinity because I know the elemental staves have shown to give a higher stat boost to magic accuracy of the element it represents. However I thought magic skill also contributes to Accuracy and not just affinity bonus equipment. Just not as high as Affinity gear.

Bind
    Spell cost: 8 MP
    Spell element: Ice
    Magic skill: Enfeebling Magic

I also thought weather, such as SCH storms, would contribute to element of the spell.

When Meriting BLM, I've read articles that Placing Merits into Ice and Stone would further increase accuracy for Paralyze and Slow.

Trial and error I've played WOE so many times that when casting Blind with Enfeebling, high INT, magic accuracy gear. I've noticed blind land better when using Dark magic skill gear such as Archon ring, crimson fingers. And yes I've only switch over to dark magic gears as a last resort after failing to land 3-5 times.
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 07-21-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    No where did I see stun classified as Wind element.
    Sorry, that was a mistake, I meant Thunder.

Spells are classified by Element and Magic Skill.
    This is what I was trying to explain. There is a Dark element, and a Dark skill, they are not in any way related to one another. If you renamed the Dark skill, Arcane Magic, it makes things easier to understand. Stun is a Dark(Arcane) Magic, but is of the Thunder element. Blind and Dispel are Enfeebling Magic, but are Dark element. Dark Magic skill has no relation to Dark element magic, the only thing it correlates to are the spells in its category, in this case, stun, while as you see, some spells in said category can have different elements than dark as well. Think of it like Divine, though it is a much weaker example, Divine is the same as White Magic Skill, like Dark Magic Skill is the same as Arcane. Just because a spell if Light based, does not mean Divine enhances it, likewise, just because a spell is dark based, it does not mean Dark skill enhances it. Because they are simply categories for spells, not effecting a certain element in any way.

You are pointing out their elements, but their elements have nothing to do with it. If you read Dark Magic Skill as Arcane Magic Skill, everything would look as it should, and as it is, and becomes easier to understand.
    (5)

Player
    Trial and error I've played WOE so many times that when casting Blind with Enfeebling, high INT, magic accuracy gear. I've noticed blind land better when using Dark magic skill gear such as...
    Breaking this off here real quick.

Archon ring

This says Dark Elemental Magic, meaning, magic of the Dark element, not Dark Magic as in the skill, or category of magic. This does boost those spells which have a dark element attached to them, but if you used this same ring for, say, stun, it would do nothing at all, because it is lightning based.

crimson fingers.

These do nothing for Blind or Dispel, as it effects the skill, and thus, category of magic, rather than the element of the spell.

And yes I've only switch over to dark magic gears as a last resort after failing to land 3-5 times.
    The most likely cause of this is due to the fact you cast the first few times causing immunebreaks to occur, then you can land it as its resist has been lowered by a large amount. Besides that, enfeebles have a minimum rate of a 5% chance to land, so its also possible you simply got lucky, I mean, I watched a COR/RDM land Paralyze on Kalasutrax after spamming it 30 times on RDM, they got lucky, and I had a trash land rate because of its insane resist rate to Paralyze.
    (6)

Player
    I see. My confusion was this. Elemental Magic covers Fire, Ice, Wind, Water & Earth.

I assumed Dark Magic skill would also cover Dark Elemental magic accuracy as well being that no specific Merit Point Catagory exists for both Dark and Light elemental Magic accuracy.
    (0)

Character
    Sylow
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    You also don't get Enlight or Endark.
    (1)

Character
    Shidoshii
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Simple breakdown.

Every spell has a skill associated with it. If a spell gives a certain skill up, dark, elemental, enfeebling etc. then that's the spell's skill.

Every spell also has an element (color of the icon). Elemental spells are obvious, earth, wind, etc. Other spells also have elements, gravity is wind, paralyze is ice, etc. This is why WHMs (should) cast barparalyzra AND barblizzara for maximum protection against paralyze. Barparalyzra affects the amount of times you'll be paralyzed (or duration, I'm not really 100% sure), if hit with it. Barblizzara affects your outright resistance to paralyze altogether.

Elemental accuracy affects every spell of said element, regardless of which skill it is. For instance, elemental ice accuracy would affect the accuracy of: paralyze (enfeebling), Blizzard IV (elemental), and bind (enfeebling), along with any other spell with a similar colored icon.

Skill + gear, such as, elemental skill +, or enfeebling skill +, etc, give bonuses to that entire line of spells under that skill (you can tell by what skill ups you get from casting the spell).

"Magic Accuracy +" affects them all, regardless of skill or element.
    (0)
    Last edited by Fermion; 07-22-2013 at 09:05 AM.

When Meriting BLM, I've read articles that Placing Merits into Ice and Stone would further increase accuracy for Paralyze and Slow.
    For RDM merits yes. BLM merits are potency though, not accuracy. They actually add 2 MAB to that element, per merit.
    (0)

Player
    Thank you guys for being kind in your responses. Before I said that I came to the forums to learn from everybody in return also help people in the community. I am not perfect nor am I the best player, but a neverending student learning on a daily basis regardless of playing the game for a long time.

You guys are helping me on my quest to creating 2 strategy guides for beginners and for level 99s needing direction to be on their way to playing end game content beyond Delve.

Seriously I appreciate all of you.

Beginners Guide
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...eginners-Guide

Revelations Strategy Guide FFXI
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...egy-Guide-FFXI

I'm not a writer but I am doing my best to make it happen.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2