Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marked for Life

Player
    I never did understand how those loading times were so atrocious. I'm pretty sure the entire game could be loaded on the RAM of a PS1 (just a guess, I don't know the actual numbers to back that up).

And no I don't know enough (or care enough) about computers to know if that matters. I'm guessing it doesn't but it doesn't take away from how ridiculous some of the load times were. Either way those PS1 re-releases made the early FF games available to a huge market of gamers that never had the chance to fall in love with the FF series in all its pre-7 glory.

PS Emulators are great and all but I, personally, am willing to pay for the games I enjoy and believe in. The PS1 re-releases were a way for me to do that.
    (0)

Character
    Aezelas
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    FF6 is the one I started with.
    Awesome storyline, numerous places, mobs and playable characters, epic music and boss fights. This made me realize a video game could be more than just a game.
    I became a squaresoft fan since then, and have rarely been disappointed.

I won't forget FF7 for obvious reasons, but i'd rather put FF Tactics right after FF6.
    FF6 brought me into Square's world, FF Tactics made me fall in love with Matsuno's world.
    (1)

My Allegiance? I'm usually on whatever side Zordon is on
    Character
    Alpheus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    FFVIII is what got me started. I enjoyed the junction system and the story. I then played VII and enjoyed it as well, then came IV PS1 release then IX then X then I and II on GBA and finally X-2. I still havent managed to play through V and VI for some reason i just can't. Made it to the final dungeon in VI once but then I just left it there idk it was weird as to why I did so. I actually enjoyed XIII though it didn't present it's linearity as well as the other Final Fantasy entries did though it did follow the FFVI formula of having your options open up quite a ways into the game (WoB felt more on rails while WoR felt more open). XIII's battle system to me seemed a natural progression on what ATB could look like as it allowed for either manual control or automatic input while both modes required you paid attention to the flow of battle and adapt as the battle changed. I think the best distillation of the ATB Paradigm system was best demonstrated in the FFXIII-2 DLC Requiem of the Goddess though. I kinda wished they offered more instances like that where it was as fast paced and engaging.

That brings me to XI where I've only been playing for about 3 years now, was lucky enough to have someone take me under his wing and gave me a chance after some of my more earlier friends decided to quit. I'd like to think of myself as quite an accomplished WHM; I myself am eying to make a Yagrush though there's still quite a road ahead.
    (0)

Character
    Pretre
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    ff7 and played everyone after it, only ff I didn't like was 13
    (0)

Character
    Engelmond
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 17
    Started with FFI here, as I owned an NES as a kid well into the SNES era, and got a SNES really late (Wherein I rented FFIII/VI countless times but never was able to buy it).

As a teenager I painted a garage and used that money to buy FFVII and a PSX. VII, Tactics and Bushido Blade- Squaresoft was awesome back then.

I think the biggest mistake SE's ever made was to never really make a true "FFT 2." Really think they missed out back then.

Also, I'm probably one of the few people to like Squall from FFVIII. People call him emo and all, but I really liked how he was all quiet and reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekin View Post
    FFVIII not the actual game but the demo version on the ps1.
    Did you have that demo disc with the awesome title music? (Which I later found was a Xenogears track).
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    FFI

My mom got it for me for Christmas in 1990 because "it had a sword and a crystal ball on the cover so I thought you'd like it." She had no idea.

I liked IV (II U.S. when I played it) even more. I didn't know at the time that it was three games later, and it blew me away how far they had come from 1. The ATB, the focus on story and characters ... amazing.

And then came VI, or III U.S. I got it in college on the release day for SNES, played it every chance I could, and hooked 5 mates on the series with that game. One of my buddies actually broke into my room (crawled through the window) when I was in class to play it. To this day FFVI is my favorite media experience of all time.

I've enjoyed all the rest in some way or another. I'm definitely not the guy that wants to return to the old classics. I like the newness and the changes. But nothing has really done what IV and VI did emotionally for me.
    (0)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aezelas View Post
    FF6 is the one I started with.
    Awesome storyline, numerous places, mobs and playable characters, epic music and boss fights. This made me realize a video game could be more than just a game.
    I became a squaresoft fan since then, and have rarely been disappointed.

I won't forget FF7 for obvious reasons, but i'd rather put FF Tactics right after FF6.
    FF6 brought me into Square's world, FF Tactics made me fall in love with Matsuno's world.
    That whole ~6 year stretch was truly amazing. I think it was IV(II), SoM, VI(III), CT, VII, Tactics released in that order. Such variety and unforgettable quality one Squaresoft game after the other. It was absolute torture being in college and sitting through every class thinking only about playing one of those games!
    (0)

FF1 got me hooked, FFIV/VI are my favs with FFX coming in 3rd and VII and VIII being my least favorite. The others all intermingle in between. I have completed them all at least twice because even my least favs have a decent replay value
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardus View Post
    Started with FFI here, as I owned an NES as a kid well into the SNES era, and got a SNES really late (Wherein I rented FFIII/VI countless times but never was able to buy it).

As a teenager I painted a garage and used that money to buy FFVII and a PSX. VII, Tactics and Bushido Blade- Squaresoft was awesome back then.

I think the biggest mistake SE's ever made was to never really make a true "FFT 2." Really think they missed out back then.

Also, I'm probably one of the few people to like Squall from FFVIII. People call him emo and all, but I really liked how he was all quiet and reserved.

Did you have that demo disc with the awesome title music? (Which I later found was a Xenogears track).
    I can't rightfully recall. I just remember it being very fun at the time.
    (0)
    It doesn't take much to know when someone is special. After 5 minutes if the person is alive and well you have a keeper, if they are dead and obnoxious then toss em like two day old leftovers.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    FFI

My mom got it for me for Christmas in 1990 because "it had a sword and a crystal ball on the cover
    Lol... Mom too..
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast