Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

New Spells for Dark Knights

"What makes the green grass grow?!"
    "Blood, drill sergent, blood!"

Blood it is. And dark knights are notorious for shedding it, especially their own.

To this end, I'm requesting some new spells for dark knight:
    absorb-attack: Absorbs a percentage of the enemy's attack power and gives it to the dark knight for 30 seconds. This spell should have a 1 minute recast.

absorb-defense: Absorbs a percentage of the enemy's defense and turns it into attack power for the dark knight, but lowers the dark knight's defense. Yep, dark knights are so inaccurate that not only do they absorb the defense of their enemies and turns it into attack, but they absorb their own defense as well! This spell should have a 30 second duration and a 1 minute recast.

absorb-speed: Absorbs an enemy's attack speed but lowers the dark knight's defense. Potency is determined by dark magic skill and mind. This spell should have a 1 minute duration and and 2 minute recast.

absorb-evasion: Absorbs an enemy's evasion and turns it into attack for the dark knight and yep, it also lowers the dark knight's evasion. This spell should have a 1 minute duration and and 2 minute recast.
    (3)

Character
    Kurdtray
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Ok how many times is this suggestion going to get posted. The dev team don't give a flying moogle.
    (2)

Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    I think this would be a little (dare I say it?) overpowered!

I play all classes fairly evenly so I'm always up for new toys, but I think DRK is one of the jobs that needs it the least at the moment.

I think this would be better suited to THF, who could maybe "Steal" enemy attributes like attack, defense, evasion etc. Especially as THF need a bit of love!

What I thought would be quite cool for DRK is -ga versions of their absorbs, but instead of it being AOE on enemies, it is AOE on allies. I imagine it dividing the absorbed stat amongst your party members equally. In this fashion, DRK suddenly becomes some sort of weird party buffer. Could be fun!
    (0)

Player
    Lower defense, lower defense, lower defense... you just want DRKs to die even more than they already do it seems... No really though, more defense down is going to be bad...
    (0)

Player
    Umbra I-IV: Deals Dark Elemental Damage to an enemy.

We have an elemental nuke for all the elements except dark.
    (1)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    absorb-attack: Absorbs a percentage of the enemy's attack power and gives it to the dark knight for 30 seconds. This spell should have a 1 minute recast.

absorb-defense: Absorbs a percentage of the enemy's defense and turns it into attack power for the dark knight, but lowers the dark knight's defense. Yep, dark knights are so inaccurate that not only do they absorb the defense of their enemies and turns it into attack, but they absorb their own defense as well! This spell should have a 30 second duration and a 1 minute recast.

absorb-speed: Absorbs an enemy's attack speed but lowers the dark knight's defense. Potency is determined by dark magic skill and mind. This spell should have a 1 minute duration and and 2 minute recast.

absorb-evasion: Absorbs an enemy's evasion and turns it into attack for the dark knight and yep, it also lowers the dark knight's evasion. This spell should have a 1 minute duration and and 2 minute recast.
    None of these work like any of the Absorb spells.
    At all.

Absorb-atk = -atk on target; +atk on self. diminishes over time.

Absorb-def = -def on target; +def on self. diminishes over time. (probably never happen... because this is basically just a more potent Absorb-Vit.)

Absorb-speed = slow on target; (JA?)haste on self. diminishes over time. (this would be the only one that would actually happen... though it would probably be "magic" haste...)

Absorb-evasion = -eva on target; +eva on self. diminishes over time (stop trying to make the absorbs turn notatk into atk... they don't work like that. that doesn't even make any sense just by the definition of the word absorb!)

Absorbs.... ABSORB the thing they absorb.
    They don't convert it to atk.
    They don't come with detriments.
    They just transfer one thing to another person.
    (1)

Player
    Drains can be considered a nuke line, granted it ends at II but it's stronger than unbuffed banish/holy and it scales with Dark Skill. Only Elemental Magic gets nuke lines, the only exception being Impact/Comet which is the only high direct damage nukes there are. The only high damage dark dmg sources I can think of are (Kaustra, Drain II, Everyone's Grudge, Eyes on Me, Dark Orb, Sanguine Blade, Lunge)
    (0)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I agree that the current absorb spells don't work that way, so I wouldn't expect any new ones to change from that method.

Quote Originally Posted by FaeQueenCory View Post
    Absorb-def = -def on target; +def on self. diminishes over time. (probably never happen... because this is basically just a more potent Absorb-Vit.)
    They all would be a more potent absorb-STR, DEX, AGI, etc, except an Absorb-Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Only Elemental Magic gets nuke lines, the only exception being Impact/Comet which is the only high direct damage nukes there are.
    Elemental Magic isn't the only one with nuke lines:

- Divine Magic: Banish I-III, (IV, Light Spirit only currently :/), Banishga I-II
    - Ninjutsu: Ichi, Ni, San

They are still nukes regardless of the weaker damage output.

------

I personally would like them to keep to their prior promise (in the roadmaps) to create a "Dark Magic Fast Cast" trait. Though given the facelift that elemental magic just got. I'd love to see them instead of a trait, do the same with Dark Magic and make them universally short cast timers based on tiers/strength.

I'd also be interested to see a dark magic nuke set that operates similar to Banish. Having it deal more damage versus arcana and negate a portion of their natural magic defense bonus which most of them have. Something that both BLM and DRK could use.
    (0)
    Last edited by Rwolf; 12-17-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Better paragragh structure

Player
    I would think the 'Ruin' spells would be a good dark nuke considering other FF games employ the 'Ruin' series of spells. To add on to the 'Dark' nature of these spells, they should operate like Helices but for DRK. Initial damage is repeated as a DoT for a certain duration the difference could be greater damage but shorter duration compared to a SCH's helix.
    (0)