Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    Not only did they eliminate it, they managed to eliminate most of the reasons the zones said levels existed for in the process. And the reasons people even hung around in the starting cities.

I mean, I regularly have to explain to newbie people capped at level 50 why fame matters or how to get to anywhere save Gusgen Mines and Crawler's Nest. The incentives to explore, to actually be in the game world were obliterated with Abyssea. Because little blue boxes and a L30 entry limit.
    And the way I see why these areas were eliminated was because people complained they weren't getting invites to 6 man parties and failing to exp was killing the game so in order to keep leveling interested was to expand the limit to 18 man alliances which would make certain areas popular and full bringing the majority of the player base to certain areas.

Just the same as I mentioned before the rope has 2 sides, if the adjustment is made for a good cause a sacrifice is always made.

Speeding the leveling phase to less than half a day made most auction house gear irrelevant.

Allowing 18 man alliances and GOV pages sacrificed leveling at old maps and 6 man Skillchain groups.

Adjustments are made based on a general view of what can benefit the majority.

Most events today is based on keeping big groups and the majority of the playerbase together than fall apart.
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 09-28-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Only if the DEV team had enough time to produce rich content. Game programming is a race between players and the team creating the content. We are playing a game of cat and mouse nonstop because this is a never ending MMORPG.

These repeatables, time limited events, horrible drop rates and tough progression standards set within the game in reality are excuses to stall you.
    Right, but here is the thing: If you make leveling take forever, people will only level a few key jobs in order to ensure a place in end game, then they will stop leveling and concentrate on endgame. This creates a situation where in new people only have other new people to level with because older players have effectively quit leveling. That's where the game was at before abyssea was released.

The problem with creating end game content in this situation is that you can't create end game events that require job diversity because most people only have a few jobs leveled and most of them are the same jobs. They aren't willing to spend months years leveling for one event. Even if they are, you are looking at months / years lag time before your end game event picks up in popularity (if ever).

As they add more new jobs, this problem becomes worse and worse because they have to give those jobs a reason to exist beyond just the leveling phase and creating mid level content is problematic because the usefulness of the rewards is short lived and level capped players don't like playing at lower levels.

They solve this by making it incredibly easy to level jobs by having higher level players help you. This way, lower level people aren't stuck sitting with their flags up all day doing nothing and the devs can build content around any jobs they want because everyone can reasonably access those jobs.

They could have easily brought back the six man party system by adding a point system that revolves around killing things outside of abyssea and is most efficiently done in groups of 4-6 by making it scale like exp. does. They could have tied it to merits as a form of progression. They could have done this with reives by simply making the bayld received scale based on party size.

There are a million things they could have done better than what they did to keep people playing and none of it had to involve going back in time and removing fell cleave parties or building a new game engine.
    (5)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankReynolds View Post
    Right, but here is the thing: If you make leveling take forever, people will only level a few key jobs in order to ensure a place in end game, then they will stop leveling and concentrate on endgame. This creates a situation where in new people only have other new people to level with because older players have effectively quit leveling. That's where the game was at before abyssea was released.

The problem with creating end game content in this situation is that you can't create end game events that require job diversity because most people only have a few jobs leveled and most of them are the same jobs. They aren't willing to spend months years leveling for one event. Even if they are, you are looking at months / years lag time before your end game event picks up in popularity (if ever).

As they add more new jobs, this problem becomes worse and worse because they have to give those jobs a reason to exist beyond just the leveling phase and creating mid level content is problematic because the usefulness of the rewards is short lived and level capped players don't like playing at lower levels.

They solve this by making it incredibly easy to level jobs by having higher level players help you. This way, lower level people aren't stuck sitting with their flags up all day doing nothing and the devs can build content around any jobs they want because everyone can reasonably access those jobs.

They could have easily brought back the six man party system by adding a point system that revolves around killing things outside of abyssea and is most efficiently done in groups of 4-6 by making it scale like exp. does. They could have tied it to merits as a form of progression. They could have done this with reives by simply making the bayld received scale based on party size.

There are a million things they could have done better than what they did to keep people playing and none of it had to involve going back in time and removing fell cleave parties or building a new game engine.
    Its hard to expect a small team to focus on every aspect of the game at all times. Everything the DEVs do is based on the moment and where the majority is at.

The system made at the start wasn't broken. It's until after people passed it is when the system became different.

If players went back and helped everyone progress then its good but at the current state people have too many priorities setting themselves first before others.

Then again how do you go back and alter the game based on the momentary interest without changing the storyline?

Adding new jobs is what ties into the story of each content. Look at other jobs and how they all relate to the storyline.

Do you want to suffer finding people to level with and do no events or spend all day finding parties to get your gear?

Its risky at this point because what if there is not enough players sharing the same interest? Will it be possible to make groups happen?

Leveling phase was fun I admit but the main thing I learned in game development is the difference in level range.

The more levels you get, the more power you gain, which require harder content upon harder content but at a certain point you will start to struggle keeping people busy long enough to work on development and that's why these typical repeat me a million times, wait 1 day to gain access and play for 2 hours, horrible drop rates exist.

I know we argued a lot in WR thread but look at the conditions. Allowing anyone to join instead of limiting the event to 18 people seems like it was meant to keep the majority of the community together than everyone lose interest in SoA.

SoA was failing upon release. 1 mistake can ripple through the entire game like an aftershock from hell.

Which is what Delve and Skirmish did. Instead of spending time moving forward, time gets spent correcting issues.

I also said it maybe too quick to judge the content of SoA bad if the full vision of the expansion has not been realized.

We are only looking at segments upon segments being implemented right now.
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 09-28-2013 at 04:58 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankReynolds View Post
    They could have easily brought back the six man party system by adding a point system that revolves around killing things outside of abyssea
    Frank as I said before, the interest is focused on the majority of the playerbase. Certain things are implemented for a reason. If only 2,000 players existed on the entire server and 200 of the players are duel box, bazaar, mules and most of the day ranging from 500-800 people, do you think directing people's attention away from popular areas is going to help if the goal is to keep everyone interested in the current event?

How does that help you find parties to do things like Abyssea, quests, missions, trials, events if there are too many things added on to your to-do interest list?

How would people get things in Abyssea done if several hundred players decide they want to level outside of it?

That's why I said it doesn't make sense to implement REM and draw everyone to do that after SoA expansion was released. Then how will people find enough people interested in Delve etc?

This is the thing about analyzing results over time and making adjustments according to the moment.

Which is why I said Game development is about shifting the crowd from one area to another.
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 09-28-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Player
    Now to conclude everything I've been explaining in my responses:

I just think the DEV TEAM intentionally decided to kill off all other content to shift the crowd over to SoA fully by adding in over powered items and gear to make the new expansion a success than lose face by charging almost $40 to every single person who bought it which would make the crash of this game worse than when FFXIV was released.

Atleast now they can continue to add more on top of it and fill in the gaps along the way.

People were bound to quit anyway, atleast their strategy kept the crowd that's left over. And that's why you have as many people as you do now.

Magic is about drawing attention to a specific thing with the intent of distracting you to accomplish the success of the trick you are doing.

Its obvious the items of the game would draw everyone's interest like a magician wowing you with the glamor of the illusion being performed.

And this is why I see the game different than you.

If you guys weren't so busy focused on a single task arms flailing in the air sky is falling run to the forums and let everyone know the world is ending thinking only about simple things like "How do I get my item" then maybe you would see things beyond the box rather than be left stuck in it.

My last 2 cents I leave for you on the table.
    (1)
    Last edited by Daemon; 09-28-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Character
    Vienner
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Great news! XIV sucks i'm comming back here and i'll forget about all the flaws this game has cause its still 9999999999 times better then that monster which is XIV.
    (8)
    "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and I drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty."

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by vienne View Post
    Great news! XIV sucks i'm comming back here and i'll forget about all the flaws this game has cause its still 9999999999 times better then that monster which is XIV.
    Lol I'm waiting to see how many others are coming back when that free one month ends and when others realize that FFXIV is not FFXI leaving behind a game they already spent so much time building their characters earning their items which is enough reason not to drop the game entirely.

Which is also a good reason to "analyze" things over time before making adjustments right away.
    (0)
    Last edited by Daemon; 09-28-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Character
    Kuvo
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by vienne View Post
    Just wondering why u feel that way and what u don't like about it? I've heard that from a few ppl but imo I am having fun playing xiv. Its fast, there's a ton of things going on, lots of people, and it is beautiful. I like the controls and the game play customization. My only complaint right now is that it seems way too easy, not just leveling but everything I experienced so far hasn't proven to be a challenge. But yet im only lvl 14
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuvo View Post
    My only complaint right now is that it seems way too easy

This is why i lost interest.

I understand making the game easy to understand. Making it too easy as if the game is doing everything for you is a different story.

Part of playing any RPG game is about exploring. This game shows you where NPCs are telling you where to go just by looking at the map and in 1 hour you can finish talking to several quest npcs and complete things with the impression of "go talk to this NPC, go pick up this off the ground in front of me, walk over there and examine this, go dance in front of these people"

I just think they went overboard on the easy mode.

In a way it just felt as if it was done intentionally to avoid the problem that happened on the first release. Lose customers who don't know how to do simple things on their own.

Sort of like someone nagging you that the Internet doesn't work when they didn't even type in the web address. So they expect you to do it for them.

That's how easy the game seems.
    (3)
    Last edited by Daemon; 09-28-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Character
    Vienner
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuvo View Post
    My only complaint right now is that it seems way too easy
    That^ i lvld MRD to 34 LNC to 22 and a couple of things more, i tried crafting (and in 1.0 i did quite alot of botany which i really liked doing but they dumbed it down in ARR) and its just... where's the challenge. I want a game where i can play for longer then 3 months. The fate thing is a copy of GW2 and badly implemented. crafting is pointless since almost every quest hands you a piece of gear, gathering is pointless since that marketboard is just hilarious. i said it on the the xiv forum and i'll say it here too, they're trying way to hard to make xiv not be like xi so they also didnt implement anything which was actually good about xi.
    in short, its a shiny game with little content.
    Its like a really nice looking bra, but the moment you put it on you notice it doesnt fit well and is made of only 5 parts instead of the must have 50 parts
    (4)
    "I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and I drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it, unless I'm thirsty."

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast