Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Axe trials

i just finished my Farsha last night... And i cant comprehend why cloudsplitter it so weak. the WS's on the other Emp weapons are all amazing, but cloudsplitter is weaker than primal rend and it has fewer atmas to boost the damage. On top of that lv1 aftermath doesn't last long enough to get to your next WS most of the time(i offhand the occ att 2-4 times axe and have caped gear haste). i like rampage but i don't want to have to use it forever. I don't know if SE intended for this WS to be this bad, but i feel like its unusable. I actually feel bad that i asked my ls to help me with this. at least i have a shiny Emp weapon on my belt <_<
    (0)
    The Sublimely Magnificent Ject Shot Mark III

Character
    Blowfin
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    It sucks because it`s not a crit. based WS like the top tier Empy weapons. I do agree though, we kind of got boned with the WS. Rampage does kick some serious ass in Abyssea though.

People have gotten up to 5k without brew using:
    -Atma of the Lion
    -Atma of the Ultimate
    -Atma of the Blinding Horn

Apart from that, stack MAB, STR and MND for it.

Mind you, that was with 300% TP and using an Ascetics Gambir. It still flogs any number i`ve seen out of Primal Rend though.

It`s also your best option for brewing and will benefit from capped stats much more than Primal Rend because it has two modifiers.

Out of interest, what setups have you guys used for Bukhis? 14 wings down so far for me
    (0)

even outside of abysssea it will be be impossible to keep up with my rampage damage. apart from the novio i have a good majority of the MAB MND and STR gear that bst can wear and i cant break 900 w Couldsplitter w/o 200%+ TP.
    Oh and are set up was 4BLM (for stuns and damage) 2WHM(cursna heals)RDM(debuffs) BRD(for that bardie goodness) NIN and MNK (tank's) also a blu thf sam and war there for TH and procs. you can do it with a lot less but it helps to make sure doesn't get apocalyptic ray off.
    (0)

Character
    Garthbds
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 95
    Well compared to some of you I didn't go overboard on the axes so much as trials themselves. I got 2 pdt axes, 2 evasion axes, 2 evasion katanas, 1 pdt sword, and 1 Acc Polearm. I am working on Katana for the trial WS and Ice nuking staff.

I just love the trial weapons I have to find one for each job to work on. lol
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by blowfin View Post
    It sucks because it`s not a crit. based WS like the top tier Empy weapons. I do agree though, we kind of got boned with the WS. Rampage does kick some serious ass in Abyssea though.
    It has little to do with the lack of crit. Theres plenty of WS's and Emp WS's that do plenty of dmg without a crit mod.

I understand in abyssea a crit mod is preferable and can lead to some massive 5k+ weapon skills. But 2k + is not "sucks". Its a decent amount of dmg for a WS. And a lot of the non-crit WS's hold up better outside abyssea.

It sucks because:
    A. at 100% its weaker than/ equal to primal rend.
    This means you basically have to save to 200% if u want it to be worth a damn.

B. Inside abyssea you must support it with atmas in order to make it work. Physical atmas help rampage DoT and Pet DoT - magical atmas support cloudsplitter. Even fully supported it doesnt represent enough damage to recover the DoT and Pet DoT lost. It doesnt even really beat just rampage fully supported. Example: 300% cloudsplitter fully supported - 5k < 3 100% rampages - average (2,500)- 7.5k.

One would think you might be able to work with Bloodclaw to add in some magical synergy with its Thunder magic TP move but unfortunately it is tuned so low that even fully buffed you can not break 600 with shasra's Charged Whisker. Thats at 300% with atmas and still costs 2 charges.... fail.

Perhaps if they evened up Shasra's charged whisker with a Bluemages charged whisker and lowered it to 1 point, maybe then it might be worth it to support with mab and thunder atmas. Seems kind of silly anyway that a blu's spell (copy) is superior to a Couerls TP move (original).

Unfortunately it is only good for brew.
    On the brightside it is one of if not the strongest WS when brewing.

I would definately support a thread asking for an upgrade to the WS tho. I was hoping for around 2k damage well geared at 100% no atmas. I was dissapointed.

Would also be reasonable and useful for the aftermath to effect pets. All pets. Wyvern, automaton, charmed, jug, and avatars should all gain the benefit of aftermath as well as the owner.
    (2)
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 04-09-2011 at 12:35 PM.

you said that far better than i could.
    (0)

Character
    Blowfin
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    I understand in abyssea a crit mod is preferable and can lead to some massive 5k+ weapon skills. But 2k + is not "sucks".
    Well if people with reasonable sounding setups are struggling to break 1k without going overboard with atmas and meds then it's pretty terrible. Maybe our definition of "sucks" varies slightly. Granted there are some magic WS like Wildfire that put cloudsplitter to shame.

I'm still looking forward to getting the WS though. The Axe itself is pretty amazing even if the WS looks limited. It looks like the Aftermath pushes it ahead of Primal Rend at least?

Quote Originally Posted by Pikel View Post
    I just love the trial weapons I have to find one for each job to work on. lol
    This is a problem for me, i have a bunch of axes and nothing for my blm or cor.
    (0)
    Last edited by blowfin; 04-09-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Character
    Xilkk
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    I don't suppose there is a mislabel, and the aftermath affects pets too?
    (0)
    Last edited by Xilk; 04-09-2011 at 09:08 PM.
    Choh Moui | Rongo-Nango | Lhu Mhakaracca | Lungo-Nango | Nyumomo
    --Beastmaster Forever--

Character
    Blowfin
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    COR Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilk View Post
    I don't suppose there is a mislabel, and the aftermath affects pets too?
    I doubt it Xilk as the axe is for both WAR and BST.
    (0)

Character
    Alukat
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    well one way to always get the 200% multiplier at 100% is to use martial axe or trial tp-bonus axe but u would loose the 2-4 hits
    i do the tp-bonus trial axe atm and i already have the martial axe, i'll do some rampage/calamity (still need str/vit gear , did some 2k's in abyss with 300% and VV atma)/ mistral axe testing in and outside abyss, bet rampage will win in abyss but
    guess the other WS's might be a good option for outside, calamity impaction/scission and mistral axe fusion skillchain properties.
    did it a long time ago during decimation ws collecting (cap was still 75), duo'd with pld some dc mobs, savage blade > mistral axe (for like 1,3k) + light skillchain (another 1,3k dmg)
    so i'll give them a shot.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast