Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparthos View Post
    You're making a dig at Abyssea when clearly you've as much to learn as the rest of us.

I freely admit im not the best SCH but I know well enough that fulltiming Hvergelmir is a horrible decision akin to wanting to melee BLM to utilize the aftermath of the Mythic staff. It sounds good on paper just like taking certain jobs to specific events sounds good until you're knee deep in the event and realize just how ineffective things become.

The benefits of +1 refresh using something as simple as an Owleyes in combination with Genbu's Shield for idling and swapping into Magians/Tefnut/Soothsayers trumps any benefit being able to fill your MP bar will ever provide. Your heals will be better, your nukes more effective, debuffs will stick more frequently and this in your main slot, arguably the most powerful slot for any job.

Again, provide and event where padding MP is so crucial and with some combination of gear and proper JA usage you can do better than using Hvergelmir. Delve EXP? Use Regen, Sublimation, Penury Cures and most of the time you should be able to maintain a safe buffer MP-wise and that is before you factor in the songs/rolls you should be receiving from someone.

Owleyes/xx/xx/xx
    Nefer/Serp/xx/xx
    Heka's/xx/xx/xx
    xx/xx/Nares/Serp

Easy refresh/idle build. Orveil, Bokwus or Nefer gear are all easily acquired bodypieces and I tossed in the Nefer Khat since its easier to obtain than a Refresh hairpin for most. The Serpentes pieces are easily acquired, Sublimation gear can be idled in when you aren't doing anything for even more Refresh. Access to Convert and Refresh from /RDM give you further MP saving options on top of the ones native to Scholar. The hardest piece in that build to get is Nares and you can replace that with Subligar from Abyssea.
    Yeah I see your build is for refresh. And that's fine if it works for you. But then I never have to depend on Bard / Cor to keep my MP up which provides them an easier job by only focusing on DD.

Penury is good I admit but would rather use the strategems for Perpetuance and Accession. And when I don't have 2 strategems to use on Regen V. Accession is enough to help you keep them healed.

You are dealing with 99 who are well geared for these events. So there is no reason to be "overgeared" for every thing.

I barely find the need to use Nefer khat and mostly keep AF3 headpiece on for most occasions unless I'm desperate for MP then ill switch over with Serpentes set.

However...

Why on earth would you ever replace Nefer Khat with a refresh pin when Hekas Kilasiris is only 1 tick and both as set give you 3MP per tick? These are small details that matter >.>

And well why you fill up valuable slots with refresh gear....
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
    Delve weapons are very easy to get if you find a leader who isn't an elitist prick, because of that, no, melee relics are not worth it as a stepping stone. Secondly it matters a great deal what example you use when you're making a bold statement about R/M/Es being useful and only using Yagrush as an example.

I'd also like to point out that you never gave a valid reason as to why R/M/Es are still useful. If you have one already and do not have a delve weapon, relics are still useful till you get a Delve weapon, then it becomes a conversation piece. If you are new or returning and have no R/M/E, it isn't going to be worth getting one to bridge the gap, easier, faster, and more efficient to level a utility job to get into Delve for your Delve weapon.
    What if it's a job I don't enjoy playing?
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamoa View Post
    Honestly, I don't think I'd recommend any newer player to take the advice from someone who advocates fulltiming a staff on a mage job and says 50% cure potency isn't necessary.
    Well lets see if you are SCH and hired to play as Main heal support...u are not DDing... You are not Nuking... U are not enfeebling... And you should not be constantly switching staffs... And what you gain from your 50% potency well makes up for it through other buffs...

Knowing your job doesn't mean only knowing the gear but requires you to know your time limits on recast and what things you need to switch over for what moments necessary.
    (1)
    Last edited by Daemon; 07-03-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Character
    Kojo
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Umichi View Post
    What if it's a job I don't enjoy playing?
    It's the price you pay for the weapon, that's a preference issue. I doubt many R/M/E users enjoyed the process of getting their weapon, but they were determined enough to do what is neccessary to get it.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    Can you imagine waking up each morning knowing that you would have to wrestle a man-sized radish to death in order to eat?
    Sorry, had to.

Character
    Kojo
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Well lets see if you are SCH and hired to play as Main heal support...u are not DDing... You are not Nuking... U are not enfeebling... And you should not be constantly switching staffs... And what you gain from your 50% potency well makes up for it through other buffs...

Knowing your job doesn't mean only knowing the gear but requires you to know your time limits on recast and what things you need to switch over for what moments necessary.
    Chatoyant Staff.
    (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    Can you imagine waking up each morning knowing that you would have to wrestle a man-sized radish to death in order to eat?
    Sorry, had to.

Player
    It's the price you pay for the weapon, that's a preference issue. I doubt many R/M/E users enjoyed the process of getting their weapon, but they were determined enough to do what is neccessary to get it.
    so i have to suffer and follow with their mindframe of thinking?
    (0)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

When I cure my SCH goes from Owleyes/Genbu's Shield to Tefnut Wand/Genbu's Shield, and that's just the main and sub slots I actually swap out much more.

I'm going to assume you already know how to play SCH so you also know the importance of an idle set with refresh/sublimation gear, a cure potency gear set, a fast cast set, an enhancing set, a haste set to help with recast, and a healing skill set. That's just for Light Arts and sets I'd consider a minimum to play SCH well, at least that's the standard I held my SCH which I only revived for NNI.
    (2)

Player
    With the above setup you shouldn't need too much BRD/COR support for Delve EXP. In actuality if your DD are good enough, you could suffice on a spare Ballad II leaving the COR to pull / engage or the BRD to pull more mobs. At the least you should have enough MP to keep your DD hasted, Dia on pulls and cures or regens going around. Depending on how much sponging is going on, you could either add enspells/adloquilum or save MP for cures.

All that comes down to split-second decisions you should be making depending on the group. For any other event, you can do the same thing but many of the other events in FFXI are easier than Delve EXP making personal sources of Refresh usually enough to sustain you.

If an idle/refresh set is overgeared then IDK what to say. It's one of the most crucial sets for maintaining a decent healer and avoiding situations where you're forced to rest and SE has gone out of their way to make it stupid easy for anyone to acquire even the most rudimentary sets on the cheap. It's like a Haste setup for DD, really.

The number 1 reason SCH or WHMs suck at healing is due to either not having an idle set, not using /SCH or /RDM for valuable SJ abilities, lacking cure potency (!) or using high tier cures for everything rather than picking the right cure for the right situation.

As for the Nefer Khat? Like I said, its easily acquired on the AH and avoids hours of grinding Konschtat for a pin and matches Heka's or its AH versions but I never said you couldn't go get a Wivre Pin or further, get yourself a Coif from Legion HQ'd for the most optimal Refresh hat.

Valuable slots? It's called gearswaps. Idle set goes in, Cure set goes out. You can explain that.

You're currently killing your best slot with a bad Empyrean weapon that has limited use at anything that matters and you're free to do that but lets not call that anything approaching ideal.
    (2)
    Last edited by Sparthos; 07-03-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Sparthosx - Lakshmi - 90 BLU BRD SAM COR RNG DNC PUP BST WAR WHM
    Sig by Kingfury

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Umichi View Post
    so i have to suffer and follow with their mindframe of thinking?
    Lead instead of waiting to join a run and you won't need to subscribe to that frame of thinking.
    (2)

Player
    Chatoyant Staff.
    For what cause??? So replacing your Emp for this staff serves better purpose than keeping your MP up? We are not in abbysea anymore. If you want to throw end game advice to me then that staff is totally irrelevant and unnecessary when gear sets and specific enhancement pieces well make up for the benefit you are getting from Chatoyant. With Adoulin gear to pieces in AH that give you magic accuracy to AF if you really want Magic Accuracy then Drlve soothsayer Accuracy path is better than this.

You are not playing Pet job so the benefit of -3 Avatar perpetuance cost and Charm Success 15% does not apply to any benefit to you.

If you really want Cure potency so bad then Magian staff trial is best suited but I already gave reasons why you don't need it in the other replies.

And you don't need weather bonus unless you want are doing something that requires you to to have a specific gear set however to me this is still irrelevant.

It was a nice staff to have before but I never use it.

Elemental resistance there's an earring for that combined with bar spells and buffs.

And those stats are weak.
    Good staff for earlier content I admit.
    (1)

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast