Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you think Final fantasy will last after January 2014 ?

I think there is a chance. With the right direction, but FF14 is going to be a monster. For the Final fantasy crowd and depends how many FF11 players stay on a hardcore game.

I see Final fantasy 14 taking most the japanese players over since many them never even played a modern mmo before. and many of NA players, because there friends going over there.

Yet a strong following will still want to play this game from time to time.
    (0)
    A Mind that has been stretched will Never Return to its original Dimension....
    (author unknown)

Character
    Fynlar
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I heard Everquest totally died when EQ2 came out

derp
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynlar View Post
    I heard Everquest totally died when EQ2 came out

derp
    Yea, but they never had the entire franchises of final fantasy following and eq2 was not that good. Plus EQ had to go to a free to play model. What they done to ff14 is impressive. What they did for ff14 never been done before and it worth it. I Feel it going to take alot ff11 players in the months that come more then Eq2 had happen.
    (0)
    Last edited by sc4500; 06-25-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    (author unknown)

Character
    Rentwokay
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 75
    Quote Originally Posted by sc4500 View Post
    Yea, but they never had the entire franchises of final fantasy following and eq2 was not that good. Plus EQ had to go to a free to play model.
    Everquest 2 went free-to-play before the original Everquest did.

The fan base is irrelevant, in this case. If it mattered, FFXI would have amassed domestic subscribers in the millions at its peak, due to the power of the Final Fantasy brand, which has been significantly weakened in recent years because of rushed rehashes, expensive remakes, and disappointing sequels.

Look at Star Wars: The Old Republic. It had the backing of one of the gaming industry's biggest publishers, and it was based on one of the entertainment industry's juggernaut franchises. It was extremely well-polished and had a story/player balance that appealed to many types of gamers. It was the definition of impressive. Now, look at it.

FFXIV is shaping up to be very, very impressive, but a lot of the feedback I'm hearing from FFXI veterans suggest that the exodus may be smaller and more temporary than expected. FFXI is a rolling stone, and FFXIV is a megalith.
    (4)

Character
    Erila
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I've been playing both...

Not going to lie i like 11! I've been around for 10 Years~. But lately 11 disappoints me.
    Not so much on the Development side. However on the Community side.
    But i wil not make make a pick. I'll play both until i know what i like better.

Both game have points to themself in my opinion.
    BUT i think 14 could be sucessfull.... it came a long Way.
    (4)
    Odin Server

lv119 DNC ~ 119 SAM ~ 119 More that i dont use.
    Gute Mädchen kommen in den Himmel ! Böse Mädchen kommen überall hin !!

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    The thing still wrong with 14 is it's not 11. They have really tried to entice their customers on 11 to play 14 with a lot of 11 elements. Mainly monsters/races. A pugil there is exactly like a pugil here except it's high res, for example. Yet, 14 is technically exactly what 11 people asked for, except that it's a whole new game when we really just wanted 11 to be updated.

There's a lot of positives for 14 in it's current state. But it's different enough to the point that FFXI players just might not like it after a few weeks of play and desire to go back to familiar play grounds in XI. FFXI may be an oldie now but the game still looks great. PS2 to PS3-4ish leap in graphics isn't overly large. If we were talking something like NES to PS4 leap in graphics then it may very well kill XI on the spot but we're not. 14 graphics didn't get the job done the first go round and it won't now.

14 will be very familiar grounds for the XI player, but I really do think in the end most of us will stick to what we know in FFXI, and at best play FFXIV casually. That won't hurt 14 in the least. It's been turned around enough that I strongly believe it will be supported by all the ex FFXI players at the very least. It no longer suffers that "we're from planet Krypton trying to design a game for earthlings!" feel to it. But it's up in the air whether or not the casually driven gameplay is going to hook the masses that would buy a FF branded game. They are shooting for the masses, but it may very well bite them in the ass if the masses don't bite and all the hardcore players decide 'this is too casual for me, see ya'
    (1)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance2K View Post
    Everquest 2 went free-to-play before the original Everquest did.

The fan base is irrelevant, in this case. If it mattered, FFXI would have amassed domestic subscribers in the millions at its peak, due to the power of the Final Fantasy brand, which has been significantly weakened in recent years because of rushed rehashes, expensive remakes, and disappointing sequels.

Look at Star Wars: The Old Republic. It had the backing of one of the gaming industry's biggest publishers, and it was based on one of the entertainment industry's juggernaut franchises. It was extremely well-polished and had a story/player balance that appealed to many types of gamers. It was the definition of impressive. Now, look at it.

FFXIV is shaping up to be very, very impressive, but a lot of the feedback I'm hearing from FFXI veterans suggest that the exodus may be smaller and more temporary than expected. FFXI is a rolling stone, and FFXIV is a megalith.
    Yea, but star wars had a clunking game engine that most there fans felt that just sucked. and many the pc players just hated there entire UI and many other things game was broken. They fired half there staff on star wars. Yes it had a massive chance to be great, but did same thing that ff14 1.0. Also star wars was always a movie first. I am big star wars fan , but there mmo just sucked. from the get go. Story was good though If was a single player game. Yea they fixed alot of star wars , but it nothing in the big picture.

Final fantasy: was always a game that many people in the nes days grew up to love . Then when ff7 came out it open entire new market for them.

now days so many us got kids and wives and stuff what ff14 has done is make it for us hardcore fans . O the memory price less first time here the ff2 music. Moment you see some the old school stuff it like I feel like a kid again. With the game casual , but once get up there it starts to take on the ff11 ways.
    (0)
    Last edited by sc4500; 06-26-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    (author unknown)

Character
    Yinnyth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by sc4500 View Post
    I think there is a chance. With the right direction, but FF14 is going to be a monster. For the Final fantasy crowd and depends how many FF11 players stay on a hardcore game.

I see Final fantasy 14 taking most the japanese players over since many them never even played a modern mmo before. and many of NA players, because there friends going over there.

Yet a strong following will still want to play this game from time to time.
    The same question was raised the first time 14 came out.
    (1)

Character
    Bananavivi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I think it will last beyond January 2014 without a doubt. I'd go so far as to say 11 will still be going strong by January 2015. Beyond that it's too hard to predict, but there is plenty of new content ahead at the moment, and I'm sure a large amount of people will keep subbing to play it.
    (0)

Character
    Vilhem
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    As long as it makes SE money, I don't see why XI wouldn't last well into the next two years...granted, crucial things get fixed like r/m/e and job balancing/additions
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast