Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Lumei
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

[dev1152] The problem entailing Treasure Hunter gear

Recently, there was a post by Mocchi addressing some concerns about the new Equipment Help Text. In regards to Treasure Hunter, here is what was said, as translated by Slycer:

Depending on the job, there is certain equipment which cannot be removed. For example, Treasure Hunter+ gear on THF. For equipment which can't be removed during combat, are you planning on doing anything to update it?
    I'd say Treasure Hunter equipment is in trouble. [[I think this is what he's saying anyway, his response confused me here, but seems to indicate they're either adding new/better TH gear.]]
    I'd first like to say that I'm very glad to see that this has been acknowledged as a problem. However, given Slycer's apparent difficulty in translating the response, I worry that the devs are uncertain as to how to handle it.

The biggest problem I see is that Thief's knife is a level 70 weapon, and we've moved into content that requires equipment 40 levels higher than that. Despite its low damage rating, it's still considered beyond relevant, but absolutely necessary because it adds to Treasure Hunter.
    Thief's knife needs to be rendered obsolete once and for all.
    But you can't JUST add more treasure hunter gear, as then thieves will just be forced to wear that all the time, too.

Instead, I would like to see this change come about like this:
    • Add a new dagger either through skirmish, delve, or a wildskeeper reive that has Treasure Hunter +3 on it.
    AND MOST IMPORTANTLY
    • Cap Treasure Hunter added from gear (henceforth "Base TH") at +5, for a total of Treasure Hunter 8 before random auto-attack increases.
    If both of these changes are made, then players will be able to freely choose from Treasure Hunter sources available to them to reach capped Base TH-- and let me tell you, once such a dagger is obtained, the first source dropped WILL be thief's knife.

(I'd be especially happy if such a new dagger also had nice offensive stats and 150 delay.)

Still, whatever route the devs decide to take, I feel there absolutely must be a cap to Base TH before any new gear with Treasure Hunter can be added. It's the only way I can envision thieves being able to forego using all of the Treasure Hunter gear in the game.
    (2)
    Last edited by sweetidealism; 06-22-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    The other part of the equation is the fact that higher base TH increases the proc rate itself. In doing this, we are forced to full-time our TH gear (not so much dagger as that has honestly been ruled as obsolete in 80% of scenarios) anyway. If THF has a base TH cap and does not increase the proc rate, we can finally be free to use useful gear in those slots.
    (3)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I think Mocchi was simply acknowledging that TH gear is a problem they are aware of but haven't made a decision on how to deal with it yet. I think they should not be afraid of giving us more TH+ gear in the hand/feet slots to replace what we have. They have this thing where if they give something like what we have, it gets to exist being useful forever or something. I do wish they would chill out with their fetish about 'must trade DPS for TH+" I think it's silly to make us have that tradeoff when TH is native to THF. No other job is forced to make such huge sacrifices for so little in return. TH+ gear should compliment our standard gear as an apology and perk for being shafted DPS wise due to wielding daggers in the FF universe.

Thief's Knife is a given when Mocchi speaks about TH gear being in trouble due to recent content releases. They know it's terrible to wield it right now, not only because of it's extremely low DPS but with how they designed TH procs to work. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll do anything but rework TH where we don't have to full time TH gear. Bottom line, they know if they give us a new dagger we will just DW TH knives. It solves nothing. The answer is simple, but they refuse to do simple, they rather us go through some kind of chore to get upgrades. Therefore the answer is not so simple. Sadly, the only way they can go since they will refuse to do the alternatives like raising stats or deleting thief's knife from the game as an extreme, is cap base TH. My desire would be for that cap to be +5 or +6. I don't particularly like the cap being just enough to knock thief's knife out. I think it should be high enough for future upgrades to finally knock thief's knife out of the picture.

Alternatively they could just not give us a new dagger, cap base TH, and have gear replace the dagger so THF can just say goodbye to TH daggers, period.
    (4)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Character
    Nebo
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Why are people still complaining about TH gear like its going to fix anything for THF?

TH is not getting you spots in endgame events. Fixing TH gear =/= fixing THF.

The job needs much more than TH gear fixes.
    (1)

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebo View Post
    Why are people still complaining about TH gear like its going to fix anything for THF?

TH is not getting you spots in endgame events. Fixing TH gear =/= fixing THF.

The job needs much more than TH gear fixes.
    This is true, but TH is a major drag to us, particularly the knife. The hand and feet are excellent pieces for when we need evasion as it compliments those well. Tanking in Abyssea was a wonderful time for us. Now that we are back to a weak DD standpoint though, we can't be asked to wield a level 70 dagger to lvl 99-120 content (if TH becomes useful in future events).
    (2)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetidealism View Post
    TH Knife+1
    I like your Idea, an Added TH+ item, But giving it to a weapon is just going to cause the same problem in the future, eventually i will be obsolete and we'll be looking at this again. Frankly, They just need to cap TH+ from gear at +3, Making Feet+2/Hands+2 all you need to cap it, and donsies.

That or add an Accessory or Armor with a Latent Effect: TH+1~ thats active when Under TH7 (i.E would be active with Hands/Feet, But not Hands/Feet/Knife, etc).

Simple is Simple, But it can't be linked to a weapon ever or it'll just create the same issue in the near future... Hope they come up with something logical, I mean any of the 2 above would be stupid-simple options.
    (1)

you are right that it has to cap gear generated TH, regardless WHAT item it is put on. Otherwise, with higher base TH equalling Higher TH build rate all that'll happen is people would DW the new and the old Theif's Knife. Me, I'd like a quest to upgrade the thing. Other option, if they give the other 20 jobs a chance to get JSE in this range as they are rune/geo WITH A WEAP then pray tell what does that suggest as a new dagger-based source of TH+? Much as people deride the term balance that Tanaka threw around so much in this case it applies. And while your full tier 15 Delve set probably trumps a new JSE tier some people have always swapped stuff for specific effects, who knows what JSE would bring to the table. I know it would help newer/returning players or those that just never managed to build an RME before if they want something a bit more job specific than those early bayald weaps.
    (0)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    THey should cap TH+ from gear at 5 max and add an ammo item that gives TH+5.
    (1)

Player
    They should just make the cap from gear 6 and the total cap 8, leave gear how it is, and make every level actually matter instead of the first 3 doing a large improvement and then dropping off into the realm of unnoticeable change.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankReynolds View Post
    THey should cap TH+ from gear at 5 max and add an ammo item that gives TH+5.
    If the Ammo also had Acc+3 and Dual Wield +3 or more I'd be cool with this
    (3)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast