Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Player

FFXIV A Realm Reborn

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

As I see more and more videos of FFXIV, I'm seeing a lot of details, things we have been asking for in FF11 for years.

Icons are displayed in front of you, obviously better than macros. After using a skill or ability, the recast timer of that is shown on the icon.

Standing still HP & MP not only refreshes, but at a couple of seconds unlike us who sit and wait.

Anyone have the opportunity to play 14, can you share with us some other details from in game experience? How are the improvements compared to the disaster when it was first released?

Watching videos on YouTube is starting to put a spark of interest in my eye from Job Gear designs, weapons, multiple jobs, Beautiful CS vids, Unique monsters, unique and different spells. The game looks much more fantasy that we grew up to love than the realistic real world type of FF13 and the movie spirits within.

And the fact that everyone seems to have a higher HP/MP allowing players to solo play as well as party with others much more effectively.
    (8)
    Last edited by Daemon; 06-20-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Character
    Mifaco
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Been thinking about dumping this game and moving on to XIV, it depends on the reviews though. If it's like pre-Abyssea FFXI, count me out.
    (5)

Character
    Uberlee
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Thank you for this post, there are so many FFXI players that are bad mouthing this game, because of the stuff it has that XI doesn't, even though they have been begging for it. I think they are really upset XIV got it, but they didn't. The game is 100 times better since it's original release. The part about the rapid mp recovery for BLM is pretty a nifty little mechanic they put in, Blizzard deals ice damage, slows the enemy, and puts a buff on you that decreases your fire damage cast, but increases you mp regen through the roof, you can chain cast Blizzard non-stop and your mp will never go empty. Casting Fire spells on the other hand will replace your buff with a new one that increases your damage from fire spells, but stops your mp regen, so you can chain cast fire until you are low mp, then swap to blizzard to regen your mp, while tossing in other spells along the way, like thunder in XIV is a dot type spell. The quest driven storyline is great, with easy to identify and follow quests it makes leveling part of the story, a lot of it being soloable, but for things like dungeons that will require a party to take on, you can not only find groups, but there will be a Duty Finder that you will be able to use, that will pair you with players from your or other servers, so no more standing around town shouting for a group. Oh and how about Chocobos, they get armor, they have their own talent tress, tanking healing or damage dealing, because your chocobo will be able to go into battle with you. As far as crafting goes, you have a log book that holds all your recipies, something I know was really wanted in XI.
    (9)

My Allegiance? I'm usually on whatever side Zordon is on
    Character
    Alpheus
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I didnt play 1.0 but I did play Gladiator, Monk and Thaumaturge recently and I was impressed. They made WS combo-able sorta If you open with fast blade and close with savage blade you get a enmity boost (savage blade itself experiences a damage buff and deals more damage than normal) or you can opt to close with Riot Blade that restores MP. The guild quest for a Gladiator also had you learning about the job, one such quest had you clearing enemies while keeping hate off your NPC healer and I imagine it's similar for the other jobs as well. The game actually made me want to be a tank.

Monk I didn't get as far quest wise as my Gladiator but basically each WS puts you in a different stance that confers bonuses on the next WS you perform (provided the next WS is enhanced with the stance you are currently in).

I noticed on Thaumaturge that different DoT instances of Thunder actually stacked and didn't break sleep and that the added effect of gravity on blizzard spells (and the fact that it is your first spell) hints that they intend to have Mages be able to kite nuke sleep and DoT right out the gate.

Also you can attack other players mobs and if you contribute enough you can have that kill count towards your Hunting Log (its basically a GoV you take with you) or count towards a quest you flagged as well as be awarded EXP. However only the initial claimer and their party can receive any spoils from the kill.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alpheus; 06-20-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifaco View Post
    Been thinking about dumping this game and moving on to XIV, it depends on the reviews though. If it's like pre-Abyssea FFXI, count me out.
    FFXIV:ARR isn't anything like XI, the only familiar things are the races and even then there is more selection and will possibly have more added in expansions. The battle system is totally different, you don't auto-attack for TP, you can't gear swap at all, mages can recover MP in battle as explained above, there are Limit-breaks, archers don't consume arrows and can attack while moving, you can jump at will, your chocobo can fight with you, you can name your chocobo, you can level it up, you can have it attack/heal/combo, you can build armour sets to switch at the click of a button-just not in battle, you can hide your armour with the costume tab(not in beta) and while wearing your battle gear your costume will show in its place, everyone can teleport and warp from Lv1 and it doesn't require mp, free companies the end of tyrant LS leaders, Linkshells are now "chat channels" and are not displayed to anyone, NPC prices are very very very low, very low, you get where im going?, Market boards! goodbye hidden-price-AH, retainers-your own mules 24/7 online while your offline(or on), i could go on but running out of text.
    Oh, and you can ALT+Tab while in fullscreen and run more than 1 instance of ARR on 1 pc.
    (8)
    Last edited by BST; 06-20-2013 at 04:11 PM.

I played FFXIV 1.0 and ARR. The best way to find out if you like it or not is just sign up for the beta and try it out for yourself. Even playing the first few levels the questing is nice has actual storyline. Theres a lot of cutscenes that will remind you of the older FF games.

For party exp you do dungeons. The gameplay is a lot faster and more action packed in that you will be using a lot more spells and abilities.
    (4)

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    FFXIV has very very little to do with FFXI, if anything.
    Wether this is good or bad I guess it depends on many factors.

I've been playing and following FFXIV since 1.0 Alpha. My opinion is that FFXIV ARR is undoubtely a good game and that's out of question.
    It's not necessarily what FFXI fans may be wanting to play though.
    Aside from its undeniable quality, it's moved a bit too much towards the "theme park" model, compared to the "Sandbox" one (not like FFXI or original FFXIV were sandbox, but closer to that than Theme Park I'd say).
    It just feels too much like any other nowadays MMO, it follows its criteria, its standards.
    This is good if you're part of the mass and want to move from your current MMO to FFXIV (this was probably their goal), but it's less good if you were looking for something unique and different from anything else.
    You're going to get disappointed if this is what you look for, or some sort of legacy after FFXI.

Despite these issues it's a good game though. Just be warned that it has little to do with FFXI.
    (9)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Character
    Kyqrieas
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I have to disagree, but agree with Zhronne - It's different from FFXI besides the mobs and classes etc, but it's also different to every other MMO out there, and more so if you use the controller. It does feel like the XI world completely, same mobs, same environments, even the same music somewhat (different tunes, same feel) but it has its differences that make it stand out as a new game and not just an FFXI HD Remastered edition which I know a lot of people actually wanted from XIV. I think personally this game has to be seen/played to know if it's right for you but it is definitely worth checking out, even if you don't like it just to say you've tried. I think a few truly dedicated XI fans will be against it for the sake of being against it but the majority will enjoy it, but you have to keep an open mind and accept it's not an XI remake.
    (1)

Player
    I heard there are no subjobs. This sounds pretty good. If we had no subjobs on FFXI then jobs such as Redmage would probably still be popular. Any other things people can share about the new changes?
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I heard there are no subjobs. This sounds pretty good. If we had no subjobs on FFXI then jobs such as Redmage would probably still be popular. Any other things people can share about the new changes?
    Its called cross class abilities. In a place of a subjob. As you level up your classes they gain a certain amount of abilities/spells that may be shared with other classes/jobs. Most of the strong or class defining abilities can't be used on another class or job. Only certain things are tagged for cross class use.

In FFXIV there are classes and jobs. For example Gladiator at level 30 can do a quest to unlock Paladin. There is an equipment slot where you equip a job stone to change from class to job.

At level 50 classes can equip 10 different cross class skills/spells from any of the classes. A job at level 50 can equip 5 cross class abilities and is limited to 2 preselected classes. Paladin can only use stuff from conjurer(whm), and marauder(war) for example. But as a job they get 5 unique skills/spells, access to job specific gear, AF, relic weapon ect. Overall jobs are stronger then classes by a large amount are more geared for party play, but using a class can make you more versatile and possibly easier to solo stuff.
    (1)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast