Player

[Dev1144] Elemental Magic Adjustments

This post is in regard to the new elemental magic adjustment.

I will only write about Tier 4 spells then you can get a better understanding of the rest after you see my point.

Tier IV
    MP Cost
    Before After

164 190 ICE
    171 219 THUNDER

Tier 4 spells will cost more mp... 190 MP for Ice, 219 for Thunder, that would mean at level 99 you would barely cast 5 spells before running out of mp... (I didn't add MP gear because most likely mages will be switching gears during each cast) so let's say the average mage has about 1k MP to dedicate toward nukes)

Maybe this won't matter for people playing in Abby but this clearly will be an issue in areas where no temp items/ atmas are available.

If you only cast Ice IV alone the increase is 26 more mp per cast than now meaning if you casted this 1 spell 5 times, it will cost you 130 more MP. For a total of 950 MP to cast 5 times.

If you only cast Thunder IV alone the increase is 42 more mp per cast than now meaning if you casted this 1 spell 5 times, it will cost you 210 more MP. For a total of 1,095 MP to cast 5 times.

Do you see my concern? ^^

Just because you can kill stuff faster wont matter if there is an increase in downtime.

Increasing the power of spells is nice and well deserved at 99 especially if we are investing the time and money to get high INT equipment [above 100+] (And us nuking jobs have been long overdue the attention/ ESP BLM), but making spells cost more mp for Tier 4 & 5 would mean either no one uses those spells often anymore or less play and more sitting to recover mp. It will also drain MP faster during events where procs are needed.

And if you're going to tell us to just use tier 3 and below that's like telling any other 99 job to take a step down. Maybe Tier 1-3 might be mp effecient and useful for solo purposes outside events/adoulin in low level areas, but for VW/Abby BLM will have to spam Tier4, AM, JA, GA spells for proc, and these events are fast pace compare to soloing.

I just don't see anyone wanting to Nuke Tier 3 and lower at boss fights. If Nukers have more downtime, then playing the roll of "Nuker" will become less popular than it already is now. (For the fact that 18 man alliances need other jobs too and not just Nukers)

Think about the people who play outside of Abby/VW.
    It's pretty sad to be level 99 and only be able to maybe cast 5 tier IV spells (That's if you didn't waste mp on buffing yourself and others before battle). Maybe less for other race than Taru.

Personally, (and i cant speak for others) but Id rather not have the elemental change at all if there's going to be more downtime. It's already bad enough as it is having to wait for mp recovery only being able to kill 1 mob in adoulin with full mp as a redmage.

Sad no? Level 99 and it cost over 1k mp to kill only 1 monster in adoulin....

I didn't even mention what it would be like for jobs who casts Tier 5 Spells.

Why SE are you afraid to give us a little power? So far you guys give adjustments like these disguised to look like a great thing but secretly take away that power through some catch.

Like people got excited about the merit adjustment for ws however most of us that are strict to meriting 5 points for the purpose of having a max damage ws have no use for that adjustment.

[Just my personal opinion] Having the ability to see higher number damage is great and all, and all of us at 99 already killing ourselves trying to obtain the best gears to accomplish this, but as a mage job id prefer less downtime over higher damage/mp cost. Having high damage means more enmity.

Clearly this new mage adjustment is good for players at lower levels who can make use of the lower tier spells. And yes recast and casting adjustment helps benefit every mage job that doesn't nuke, only use the lower tiers for procs but observe what you are adjusting (Elemental spells clearly to improve Nukers) , and most of us are beyond the level 75 era where we would like to very much make use of the spells we bought especially some of us who paid over 7 mil for Tier 5/Comet, 10+ mil gil for Meteor. (I'm still disappointed that u need to use Elemental seal to cast it each time. The spell itself is a real MP Killer as it is, the spell doesn't even do massive damage solo and not very many people even have the spell yet being that it's difficult to obtain but even if it wasn't limited to single use with elemental seal, the cost of the spell is very high, and we all know it "can " be amazing dmg with several blm but at what events do you see several blm team up for meteor? Not saying it never happens but BLM job itself is nothing more than a nuker therefore left out on a good majority of events that other jobs serve better purpose when blm is not needed for proc)

I've yet to see even 1 BLM invited for adoulin/Delve... So yeah this update was pretty exciting until seeing that a good amount of spells will now cost more mp than now when update happens.

It would be nice to play in areas independently where we can stop relying on temp items and atmas, then maybe people will learn to get -pdt gear, buy food and meds and show up at event ready.

Thank you for talking the time to read my concern over the new upcoming adjustments.
    (1)
    Last edited by Daemon; 06-16-2013 at 04:18 PM.