Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1

PS3 and PS4: Any Hope?

Final Fantasy XIV now has a firm date for its PlayStation 3 release, and a future release for the PlayStation 4 has been announced at E3. This is all just in time Final Fantasy XI to essentially lose support on the PS2 in North America.

So I have to ask: Is there any hope of XI piggy-backing onto these platforms in the wake of XIV? I'm not going to ask for a miracle like an engine overhaul or some such, but it would be nice if something like a compilation of the original PS2 release was made available for download and play through the PlayStation Network. It would be nice to be able to play both games on the same console, especially if it was done in such a way that it allowed voice chat between the players of the different games, enabling everyone to stay in touch.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The game is already playable on backwards compatible PS3s. Outside of that there is no hope.
    (1)

goood question indeed. Maybe the legacy download plans for the PS4 may already potentially support FFXI on the PS4, who knows. IDK if I'd hold my breath for it though with the PS3. They'd have to either build a new wrapper just for FFXI on PS3, or they could try pushing Sony to put the emulation software out there again (after they debugged it more). The former might be a nightmare to pull off with newer people unfamiliar with XI's legacy spaghetti code, and the latter would open up access to a host of other PS2 games on the platform, which could lead to more support issues that Sony won't want to wrangle with.

Best possibility probably is with the PS4, considering it is more or less a PC at it's core--lends itself to a lot more emulation potential there.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

So, After playing FF14 for 48 hours, I would never touch this game again after 27th of august.
    Sorry I had to, Its just amazing.

Why not try FF14?
    (5)

It would be cool if this could go to the PS3 , but i believe microsoft and square got a contract in place that prevents this game coming out to the ps3. Since this is the only xbox360 game that allows cross platform play with pc,ps2 and xbox360 users and can play on a xbox silver account.

Now maybe they can emulate it on the PS4 , but i am not familar with there contract i just remember reading was like a 10 year contract exlusive on next gen console. For ff11.

Also ff14 is amazing anyways now , for the ps3 and the videos from there E3 booth of it running maxed setting on PS4 just crazy. should give that a try.
    (0)
    Last edited by sc4500; 06-16-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    A Mind that has been stretched will Never Return to its original Dimension....
    (author unknown)

Character
    Uberlee
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by BST View Post
    So, After playing FF14 for 48 hours, I would never touch this game again after 27th of august.
    Sorry I had to, Its just amazing.

Why not try FF14?
    Right on, I played before Yoshida took over, and up until they shut the servers down. It was fun seeing the game change and get better, and after thrashing my way through La Noscea this weekend, even thinking about trying to start doing anything in XI seems like a chore.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    This is all just in time Final Fantasy XI to essentially lose support on the PS2 in North America.
    Given they can't even fix the game to run right on PS2 nowdays, good riddance.

You won't be seeing any ports to consoles, not worth their time or investment when they have a competing MMO on the same platforms, even though it's crap and condensed compared to every other MMOs.
    (1)

Since SoA made everything I'd done up to that point useless, it's clearly time to look to FfXIV. I'll be getting the PS4 and likely will make a switch then, if I can bring myself to play another MMO. But I think a 6 month break might help get me interested again.
    (0)
    Yo Ho Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabelle View Post
    Since SoA made everything I'd done up to that point useless, it's clearly time to look to FfXIV. I'll be getting the PS4 and likely will make a switch then, if I can bring myself to play another MMO. But I think a 6 month break might help get me interested again.
    Or...you could spend 5 minutes in 14 and be hooked like the rest of us.
    (2)

There is more depth to FFXIV's levelling quests from 1 to 10 than SoA storyline..
    (2)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast