Character
    Georgis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Test Server Installation Problems

Hello. Whenever I install the Test Server, I designate it to go to "Program files" not "Program filesx86" as I have Steam installed in "Program files". Even doing that, the installer sticks it in "Program filesx86", even going so far as to create a new Steam folder. This is the fourth time it's done this. I tried copy-pasting it into the "Program files" version of Steam, but that just makes the Test Server crash. And yes, I followed the other instructions (copy-pasting the "TC" files).
    (0)

Character
    Georgis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Bump. Does anyone have any clue as to why SE's installer keeps ignoring where one tells it to put the files? I gave up after attempt number 7.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Teegrins, Georgis!

First thing that seems a little strange to me, is that you claim you have Steam installed to 'Program Files' instead of 'Program Files (x86)'. As far as I am aware, this should not be, unless you specified Steam to be installed there yourself.

I do wonder if that could cause all sorts of conflicts with some installers.
    The test-server client installer creating a Steam folder seems rather peculiar as well!

Before assuming further, I'd suggest you post the steps in detail, that which you are taking to install the software. Information such as the full path you are specifying should be very useful.

That way me, and anyone else peeking in has a higher chance of seeing what really is going on.

Also, if you haven't stumbled upon it yet, take peek at the FINAL FANTASY XI Test Client Installation Guide.

Good luck!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Georgis
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I've used that guide. And how is that odd? I did tell Steam to install it to Program Files and not (86). I used a program that removed the restrictions W7 put on users. Anyway, I followed that guide to the letter. When asked, I set the installer to the non-(86) location. That's the only change.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    It would have been odd if you did not specify it yourself.

Actually, I still still find it rather odd, for I don't see to what end would one want to do that. I can easily imagine that causing issues with some Windows software, but I guess it's more likely not to with things like Steam for example, since you can install it anywhere.
    I still wouldn't be surprised if some installer(s) would go weird about it. Personally, I would confirm it myself by installing Steam somewhere completely different (backing up the 'steamapps' before removing anything).

I do happen to have a 64-bit Windows 7 installation as well as access to FFXI via Steam, but mainly I use Gentoo Linux, and non-Steam version, so I can't just jump over and test it right away. It will probably take a while before I have the time to set things up for that.

For the time being, I'm out of ideas!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.