Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

More Paladin-centered shields needed to close the gap with Aegis & Ochain

OK, things were bad before with these lazy-minded players shouting "Aegis/Ochain PLD only" for any and all endgame events, but now it's gotten to the point people might as well not even level the job now without either of these supposedly rare items.

I'm calling on S-E to design shields that close the gap between these and shields that non-hardcore players can build or buy. I've recommended a Magian Elemental path series that allows different attributes and augments before, but I'd also like to see crafted shields that also narrow this chasm that has led to this lazy-mindedness.

No job should ever find itself locked out of events due to a lack of R/M/E/D weapons/gear. This, above all else, is killing the game.
    (62)
    Hayward: Cerberus-San d'Oria

5/5 +1: Cirque [4/5], Tantra [4/5], Ferine [4/5], Estoqueur's [1/5], Sylvan, Navarch's [1/5], Savant's, Orison [1/5], Charis [2/5]

5/5 +2: Creed, Caller's, Unkai, Iga, Raider's, Lancer's, Mavi, Ravager's, Goetia, Bale, Aoidos'

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    You'll probably get a lot of flak for saying what you did, but you're absolutely right. If a job is essentially non-functional without an item of that caliber then the job is highly flawed. If the perception is that a job is essentially non-functional without an item of that caliber, when that is not actually the case, then the perception is highly flawed.
    (17)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Yeah it's gotten to the point where unless you have an O.Chain you don't even come PLD. SE's fault for making those shields so broken in the first place, then making NM's with such high offensive power that their needed in the first place.
    (16)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by saevel View Post
    Yeah it's gotten to the point where unless you have an O.Chain you don't even come PLD.
    "Gotten to?" It's been "Bring Aegis or bring another job" practically since the Aegis was introduced.
    (8)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

I'mma have to agree with OP after reading the first page. Gap is huge.
    (13)

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by saevel View Post
    Yeah it's gotten to the point where unless you have an O.Chain you don't even come PLD. SE's fault for making those shields so broken in the first place, then making NM's with such high offensive power that their needed in the first place.
    I agree (this goes beyond just PLD btw, but delve weapon atm made the situations for DDs a bit better than it was before, I guess) but you'll have to concur with me it's very hard to balance these things.

You have to make PLD necessary. If monsters don't hit hard enough PLD won't be necessary, and people will just use DDs to tank, or just plain zerg the monsters.

Imho the "wrong" thing about tanking in FFXI ist hat it relies too much on gear. In other games gear matters of course, but tanks get all the "necessary tools" from abilities, spells and job traits.
    I feel they should work on this for tanks, and somehow nerf Aegis/Ochain (small nerf please!)
    (4)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhronne View Post
    I feel they should work on this for tanks, and somehow nerf Aegis/Ochain (small nerf please!)
    They are getting nerfed, effectively. Shields (and instruments) are being specifically left out of whatever plans they have to upgrade RMECs one last time.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    They are getting nerfed, effectively. Shields (and instruments) are being specifically left out of whatever plans they have to upgrade RMECs one last time.
    Considering those changes are to bring R/E/M up to par with Delve weapons how exactly is that nerfing items that weren't out classed by Delve weapons (none in instrument's case)?
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    They were left out because they weren't replaced. When people first got ahold of item lists, there was curiousity about the steadfast shield, in hopes that it would be some sort of stepping stone, but noone asked "What about my Gjallarchain?"
    (6)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    They were left out because they weren't replaced. When people first got ahold of item lists, there was curiousity about the steadfast shield, in hopes that it would be some sort of stepping stone, but noone asked "What about my Gjallarchain?"
    Exactly, shields do not need a boost because they are fine and were not effected by the new items in the least. Weapons on the other hand were completely trashed, every Delve weapon is the best weapon of its category so far as I know. Even the MAB staff beats all other nuking staffs and SMN staff beats Nirvana, so really weapons were completely trashed. Now on the other hand, there is no new instrument, and Steadfast is good but does not come close to Ochain without some block rate enhancement, Aegis goes without saying is still the top because there is no other way to break the cap, Steadfast lets you stack on some more MDB at best, which does not even come close to a comparison with Aegis.
    (2)

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast