Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Nebo
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Before we get into what’s REALLY wrong with your argument, a couple of things:

How about, oh, I don't know, EVERY POT IN THE GAME?
    How about EVERY AHRIMAN IN THE GAME?
    Almost Every Pot and Ahriman in the game has an item to steal that will proc with a high rate. But that aside, sure, dispelling irrelevant damage spikes from irrelevant monsters could be mistaken by someone new to THF (or FFXI) as being useful.

How about EVERY SOULFLAYER IN THE GAME?
    How about that? Directly from the link you just quoted:
    ■Unlike other Magic Shields, it does not seem to block enfeebling spells or songs

Obgligatory: Aurasteal on a 5 minute timer. Soulflayers SPAM ice spikes. Not Stratgically useful blah blah blah.

None of those mobs use shock spikes either, but thats beside the point.

Stealing 60 Minute shock spikes from Mother Globe is pretty legit.
    Yeah, that’s right. STEALING shock spikes in SKY is somehow useful on THF…the job with the highest evasion in the entire game.

Putting those aside for a second. What I was responding to was this:

Aura Steal is more strategic, for example if a NM becomes immune to magic for say 30 seconds after using a spell such as Shock Spikes you can't use Finale or Dispel to remove that Shock Spikes until the immunity wears off, so melee are forced to face away. With Aura Steal you can remove Shock Spikes, and melee can continue on without waiting or taking damage from Shock Spikes.
    Which stated that Aurasteal was strategically useful for dispelling shock spikes from some magic immune NM that are so super strong that the melees have to turn to avoid them.

None of the things you just listed fall into that category. I can’t even remember the last time I killed a pot or an ahriman? Let alone a Pot or Ahriman NM?

Dispelling an irrelevant effect like blaze/shock spikes from irrelevant monsters once every 5 minutes qualifies as strategic? Sure.

Even that were true, guess what monsters that use those effects do once you dispel them? That’s right sunshine, they reapply them seconds later. These casters that you listed also like to use other enhancement effects/spells on themselves too, so you are just as likely to steal some other random thing that also has no strategic value.

Perhaps you should take your own advice.

think READ before you type.
    (4)
    Last edited by Nebo; 06-16-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Player
    Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but shock spikes are -always- an annoyance.

I like how you neglected to quote all the valid points, and only the ones your opinion decided were not "good enough" to count.

NM Ahriman lately? How about Akvan?

NM pot, Teekelsechen.

Dispelling an enemy buff (unless its going to die immediately) is always STRATEGICALLY effective.

An annoyance, ice/shock spikes even casted by irrelevant mobs is -ALWAYS- worth removing.

Having shock spikes on thf, is actually quite neat, though since you're a noob you probably don't even know how to AE cleave with a thf. Even though evasion is capped, shit DOES still hit you.

Also, there are some really neat things you can steal, Sharp Strike for one, Orcish counterstance, POTENT regain, Songs, pro and shell if you're soloing. HASTE, a huge swing in power going from a mob having haste while you're lacking last to the opposite.

Just because you have no clue, doesn't invalidate the use of something, sorry dood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebo View Post
    How about EVERY SOULFLAYER IN THE GAME?
    How about that? Directly from the link you just quoted:
    ■Unlike other Magic Shields, it does not seem to block enfeebling spells or songs
    I added that, because Soulflayers are immune to darkness, dispel.

(0)
    Last edited by Karah; 06-15-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karah View Post
    If Akvan uses spikes, it's incredibly rare. I've personally never seen it, neither wikipedia nor BG mention it, and Ahriman only use blaze spikes anyway.
    (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Karah View Post
    Cause there's no Light Based Dispel amirite?.

Aurasteal is sh*t grade sh*t with sh*t filling, It misses at a very infuriating rate on a lot of the new NMs, and there are several effects that are just pure undispellable. Aurasteal, While not entirely useless, has no strategic or important enough situations to make it actually a valid and reasonable ability to be locked to a 5 minute timer. Summoner's have a 100% Dispel effect too you know, its called Pavor Noct... Its a good chunk of MP But It can't miss (outside of enemy being 100% Immune to dispel, which doesn't much happen).

Aurasteal can take some nice abilities, But it also cannot dispel songs, one of the few things that'd be nice to have... Absorb-Attri can take songs though. Furthermore, No new NM has any enhancement effects that wont be immediately reapplied, or at least within seconds. Even in Salvage, the best use i found was taking the Cerberus' Blaze Spikes, but he usually reapplies them a few short moments later, and they're not even dangerous enough that its needed to be dispelled... It, Like every single time i use AuraSteal, is just a case of "Well, Its something that i can dispell, Might as well use the ability...", Its never some glorious strategically placed Hundred Fists to kill a VT Fly, Its just a "eh... guess i could?" Steal.

Plus, There's not a Ahriman, Soulflayer, or Magic Pot I've fought in the last 3 years thats required to be dispelled, or a THF is even invited for... Adding the "Invited for" cause of NNI.

This ability, while not 101% Useless, is everything but, and this glorified pedestal'in of it is either full on terminal psychosis from severe denial of THF being the most useless job in the game post-Adoulin, or quite possible the most impressive grasping for straws i've ever witnessed on these here forums.

The Ability is a steaming pile of situational sh*t, while not worthless, it doesn't change the fact is has no real advantages whatsoever, It is, by all rights and purposes, the Toad Pet of THF.
    (6)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 06-15-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Character
    Nebo
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but shock spikes are -always- an annoyance.
    Herp a derp a derp, “I hate to break it to you doooooood,” but they are ALWAYS reapplied in seconds by mobs that use them. This is WHY Aurasteal is not strategically valuable for dispelling them.

Oh yes, I forgot. THF is SRS BZNSSS in Voidwatch. That must be why all the alliances are tripping over themselves to find THFs to dispel Akvan’s Spikes (that he doesn't use ). That’s practically all I see are alliances of THFs just raping Akvan because Aurasteal is so strategically useful for that fight.

Obligatory: Even if it weren't on a 5 minute timer, Temp item/weakness spam invalidates any arguement involving Aurasteal's "strategic value" in VW etc. Which is beside the point because pre-delve, you weren't getting invited and post-delve no one does VW.

Having shock spikes on thf, is actually quite neat, though since you're a noob you probably don't even know how to AE cleave with a thf. Even though evasion is capped, shit DOES still hit you.
    Lol. You are so cute. It’s likely that I INVENTED AE cleaving on THF. You are welcome. And if you are using shock spikes you are doing it wrong. Ice Spikes is where it’s at.

I added that, because Soulflayers are immune to darkness, dispel.
    If only there were some other commonly used support job that had light based dispel? F*ck it. Lets go! THF ONRY Parties TO NNI!!!!

I like how you neglected to quote all the valid points, and only the ones your opinion decided were not "good enough" to count.
    You didn’t make any valid points in any of that vomit. You are herp a derping all over this thread, throwing your little absurd atempts at insults at me ....ALL trying to argue the STRATEGIC VALUE of using Aurasteal when it has none.

Basically all you are saying is: “Hey, I are hear. Someone was stupid enough to invite my THF to soemthing...I guess I might as well press this handy dandy Aurasteal macro”

Lets be clear, that is NOT strategic value. No one is seeking out THF to remove undispellable buffs with Aurasteal because the JA is just not strategically useful for that purpose. It is USABLE with a macro…you just might feel good about yourself and steal some shock spikes and shout to your alliance “HAI GAIZ, I ARE SUPER ELECTRICK THIEF” but it will not be strategically valuable for the fight you are in.
    (7)
    Last edited by Nebo; 06-17-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    It's our new 2 1 hour ability. Though since SoA was released, it's been proven to be useless before it's even been released. RDMs can rejoice, our ability is now more useless than theirs!
    Sadly, your right, and I thought it was not possible. : /
    (0)

Player
    Best use I have seen for Aurasteal is when a friend of mine stole the Regen effect of the Cactaur in Altepa A, it lasted for a few hours, long enough that he had 20 tick Regen for an entire Dyna run.
    (0)

Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    I really hope THF gets thrown a bone at some point. I used to love playing this job!

I don't know why they won't have aura steal as an independent JA, DRK gets absorb-attri and blue gets voracious trunk :-/
    (1)

Character
    Nebo
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Deifact View Post
    I really hope THF gets thrown a bone at some point. I used to love playing this job!

I don't know why they won't have aura steal as an independent JA, DRK gets absorb-attri and blue gets voracious trunk :-/
    They are angry with the job. They fear RMT and the past.

THF will stay weak.
    (0)

Player
    Steal/Despoil should let you steal Temp Items instead of random yarn or chips. Would be so much more useful if you had a 60-80% chance of stealing a Berserker's Tonic or a Healing Mist off a mob than some random ore or clump of grass.
    (5)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast