Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Altheav View Post
    Because you need employees in the office to support the game. At the very least you need GMs and sysadmins. The latter need to be onsite to perform routine maintenance such of backups, starting/stopping of processes, etc. I'm guessing there are probably developers as well who are responsible for small, daily bug-fixes that don't require a version update/reboot, but I'm not a game developer so I can't say that for sure.

As for what else is using power in the office: remember that FFXI & FFXIV are just a tiny portion of what SE does. They'd need other data centers to support other game development, financial data, production of manga/anime, etc. Plus the power to the computers and other office equipment of those employees who work in those areas.
    I am well aware you need people to still manage the servers on-site. As well as GM's (which obviously I am just assuming) - Wouldn't GM's be off-site, spread over the world in different time zones, as well as different nationalities in order to counter for a game that is so multi-national, with a 24-hr service? I don't know for certain as I stated - this is simply an assumption and I am overly surprised if I am wrong here..

"Small, daily bug-fixes" are usually bugs that do not have a huge impact on playability, such as the odd graphical glitch here and there. Once again this is just an assumption but surely 90% of these can wait a week or two til the situation goes back to normal. I am neither a game developer and both of our posts are assumptions.

I do understand that FFXI and FFXIV are a small portion of what they do, however they are the only 24hr service by paying customers that they are running. (Yes they are giving us April for free. I am not meaning to have a whinge but that point would have to be a given, otherwise there would be a lot of angry people). However due to this, not trying to be greedy or ignorant saying FFXI is the most important thing - however wouldn't their power cuts be on a priority basis? If they had to stop either the Anime / Manga production or FFXI & IV servers, I am assuming they would choose the Anime / Manga production to be cut - as something that is creating a passive income and operates on a 24hr basis would surely take preference.

I don't mean to be flaming here, so if you feel what I said was unreasonable, please say so. I do appreciate getting the final word / date on the situation, the questions were a "food for thought" topic more than anything.

I am extremely impressed at the way SE handled the situation, however the lack of updates on the status of this rare circumstance up until now was a huge disapointment.

But who am I to whinge? We finally got a final date, and I will enjoy my last 3 days of freedom :P
    (0)

Character
    Volga
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Ah I cant wait to get back on i think we should all play the game with the lights and a/c off for our appreciation to SE and acknowledging their sacrifices
    (0)

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Emitremmus View Post
    Remember that they're having to ration their power. From the sounds of things, they're willing to give up AC, lighting, etc., just so we can have our servers back and play again. I think we could all be a little more grateful for them even CONSIDERING to bring servers back up this soon. I realize it is also a huge source of income for SE, and that in a practical business sense they need to get the servers up as soon as possible. That doesn't mean that they don't have other things to contribute their time to. As for the rest of the power available above that roughly 25% for servers and AC/lighting...

Huge corporations often have a cafeteria on the premises which would be a huge chunk of energy for the refridgeration and operation of the kitchen. They also develop and test other games besides FFXI and FFXIV on site. Don't forget all of the computers, gaming consoles, televisions, and other appliances that use a lot of electricity when they are numerous.

Anyway, let's be a little more considerate yeah?

Thanks, SE. See you Vana'diel on the 25th.
    Oh don't get me wrong. Hats off to them for reducing power usage - I am anal about that in my own house. Everything is usually off at the wall before I go to bed. Also don't get me wrong that I am incredibly grateful for them considering returning the game to the way it was.

I think my point from the original post was intended to be that I am impressed with the way SE has handled the situation, and got it under control in a reasonably short time frame - which is great! The areas in which I believe they need to improve on are quite simple - Let the community know what's going on, every chance you get.

I am sure there were a lot of issues going on, however it took them a week, just to tell us that there will be an "update on the situation in 2 days". This day comes, and it takes 12 hours during this working day to post this update - meanwhile we are all pulling our hair out, arguing on forums about what is going on. I believe a better approach would have been a simple,
    "Hey guys, just letting you know we are running tests on the servers now. bla bla bla bla.. We will have more information later today."

I will finish with this, as I don't intend to be a flame monster as I do respect SE's efforts as a whole, and they are obviously putting in long hours. I just wish they kept their community updated a little more frequently then they did. Add this opinion to the same category as one of those "Best suggestion to improve the game!!!" threads. I know the SE team that have control over this won't read my opinion, however I feel I am allowed to voice it.

/rant.

See'yas in a few days.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Volga View Post
    Ah I cant wait to get back on i think we should all play the game with the lights and a/c off for our appreciation to SE and acknowledging their sacrifices
    I have to agree with you man, if SE is making these sacrifices for the game servers at least they can know they aren't the only ones! Startin up the no lights no warmth thing in support of SE's dedication to the cause!
    (0)

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Unctgtg View Post
    Granted you all may be happy but let's not forget those that are still suffering over there.
    Oh yes agreed there..

A pretty breath taking fact that a mate opened my eyes to not long ago -

The bravery of the people repairing the nuclear plant. They are working next to the source of a radioactive issue (where the food 150km away has been deemed as 32x over the "safe to eat" level of radiation), in which they are working until they feel too sick to work any longer, and due to the extreme over-exposure (even while wearing radiation protective gear) they will surely get terminally ill and die.

So these workers are essentially sacrificing their life to restore power, prevent the feared case of a meltdown, and potentially save millions of people. Not to mention the effect on the environment.

It is crazy to even think about it this way. It is amazing what some people will do. Truly admirable quality.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Folka View Post
    I have to agree with you man, if SE is making these sacrifices for the game servers at least they can know they aren't the only ones! Startin up the no lights no warmth thing in support of SE's dedication to the cause!
    Don't wanna sound uncaring or anything, but how will you using less hydro help the greater cause? You think they want people all around the world not using their AC/Heat to show their appreciation? Naaaa I understand what your saying but it is not fair to ask this of players.

I pay to play the game, that is support enough to SE. I hope they allow me to donate money through Play Online (already donated through Red Cross).
    (0)
    NightDagger
    Server - Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by NightDagger View Post
    I pay to play the game, that is support enough to SE. I hope they allow me to donate money through Play Online (already donated through Red Cross).
    wasnt you talking about quitting the other day because of lack of info from se though?
    (0)

Character
    Volga
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by NightDagger View Post
    Don't wanna sound uncaring or anything, but how will you using less hydro help the greater cause? You think they want people all around the world not using their AC/Heat to show their appreciation? Naaaa I understand what your saying but it is not fair to ask this of players.

gotcha lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
    wasnt you talking about quitting the other day because of lack of info from se though?
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
    LOl sure was, but that was only if there update was to wait another week for another update. My mind is still the same, SE does not communicate with their clientele very well. They have never been friendly to deal with (ever called for support).

I took a 3 year break from the game, decided to come back & play on my 360 but did not remember my password. i called suppost & they expected me to remember where I was living when I bought the game 8 years ago, or at least remember the phone number. That is a joke. I still have all the reg. codes, full name, date of birth, credit card number (with updated expiry date & security code) POL ID & my stupid SE Token. All that is not good enough for them, I was just lucky my buddy still has my account of his system so I could login & get all my info.
    (0)
    NightDagger
    Server - Lakshmi

Character
    Angii
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 95
    Square Enix should take this three days times to plan the server migrations. They should give people 3-5 days after the game comes up and perform the merge. This will allow people to get things out of their D-box and off of the AH. Take down all of the servers that are part of the merge and complete the merge. Square Enix has just reduced their power more by taking a bunch more servers offline. Just something for them to think about.
    (0)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast