Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Kaeviathan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

Experience as a Rune Fencer

Before having anything to say about Rune fencer, I want the readers to know that I have yet to utilize the job to its full extend. I recently got it to level 99 and capped its skills (great sword, sword and parrying). Also that this this job is like the first mage job I used (Have no idea how PLD or RDm works). But so far from experience from soloing tough mobs in Gustav Tunnel (worms and turtles) I have to say that it feel bothersome on having to depend too much on enhancing magic for survival. In fact, while fighting these mobs, i have to cast these spells constantly to be able to survive. Once i cast one of these spells (be it aquaveil, stoneskin, blink, phalanx, etc), i immediately have to cast another. And in a short amount of time, I have to cast one of the previous buff (especially stoneskin) again real quick. Maybe this happens cause of my low enhancing magic (302 atm). But either way, its way too time consuming on casting these buffs.

What i'm trying to say is that 3/4 of the time consumed in fighting these mobs were utilized to cast enhancing magic.

What I'd recommend? I guess two important factors, increase the potency and durability of these spells and increase the job's rate of parrying.
    (0)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeviathan View Post
    ...full extend.
    First it's "extent", that annoyed me enough to point it out. If you didn't know or didn't notice the typo you're welcome, if you knew and left it there intentionally well played.

Before having anything to say about Rune fencer, I want the readers to know that I have yet to utilize the job to its full extend. I recently got it to level 99 and capped its skills (great sword, sword and parrying). Also that this this job is like the first mage job I used (Have no idea how PLD or RDm works). But so far from experience from soloing tough mobs in Gustav Tunnel (worms and turtles) I have to say that it feel bothersome on having to depend too much on enhancing magic for survival. In fact, while fighting these mobs, i have to cast these spells constantly to be able to survive. Once i cast one of these spells (be it aquaveil, stoneskin, blink, phalanx, etc), i immediately have to cast another. And in a short amount of time, I have to cast one of the previous buff (especially stoneskin) again real quick. Maybe this happens cause of my low enhancing magic (302 atm). But either way, its way too time consuming on casting these buffs.

What i'm trying to say is that 3/4 of the time consumed in fighting these mobs were utilized to cast enhancing magic
    Here's a few suggestions that will go a long way on Tough monsters.
    • Consider a hybrid set, either Haste/-PDT or Haste/EVA both work well (personally I favor Haste/-PDT for soloing)
    • Only Cast Blink/Stoneskin at the start of a fight, this wastes too much time mid fight and essentially draws out your fight much longer than it would be if you just ate the damage.
    • Keep Phalanx, Aquaveil, and Regen IV (as needed depending on the monster's damage/hit rate) up. (Aquaveil is more to keep Phalanx refreshed and prevent a bad timed Flash/Foil from landing)
    • Use Flash regularly (doesn't have to be everytime it's up but it generally saves you 1-3 hits of damage.
    • Use Foil if the monster has an annoying damage TP move.
    • Consider /RDM for Convert and Fast Cast.
    • Consider /DNC for uninterrupted erase and pinch cures.
    Those should help you go a long way into chaining Tough monsters.

What I'd recommend? I guess two important factors, increase the potency and durability of these spells and increase the job's rate of parrying.
    Actually due to the way Inquartata works RUN has the highest Parry Rate in the game. That said both would be welcome changes to RUN as it stands right now RUN isn't close to a proper support/DD role let alone a tank role that SE said it would fill.
    (3)
    Last edited by Zagen; 05-10-2013 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Because Refresh != Convert >.<;;

Character
    Kaeviathan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagen View Post
    First it's "extent", that annoyed me enough to point it out. If you didn't know or didn't notice the typo you're welcome, if you knew and left it there intentionally well played.

Here's a few suggestions that will go a long way on Tough monsters.
    • Consider a hybrid set, either Haste/-PDT or Haste/EVA both work well (personally I favor Haste/-PDT for soloing)
    • Only Cast Blink/Stoneskin at the start of a fight, this wastes too much time mid fight and essentially draws out your fight much longer than it would be if you just ate the damage.
    • Keep Phalanx, Aquaveil, and Regen IV (as needed depending on the monster's damage/hit rate) up. (Aquaveil is more to keep Phalanx refreshed and prevent a bad timed Flash/Foil from landing)
    • Use Flash regularly (doesn't have to be everytime it's up but it generally saves you 1-3 hits of damage.
    • Use Foil if the monster has an annoying damage TP move.
    • Consider /RDM for Refresh and Fast Cast.
    • Consider /DNC for uninterrupted erase and pinch cures.
    Those should help you go a long way into chaining Tough monsters.

Actually due to the way Inquartata works RUN has the highest Parry Rate in the game. That said both would be welcome changes to RUN as it stands right now RUN isn't close to a proper support/DD role let alone a tank role that SE said it would fill.
    Hey thanks for the correction. I will post back once i cap my enhancing magic and see if theres an improvement as to soloing these mobs.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Zagen View Post
    [*]Consider /RDM for Refresh and Fast Cast.
    *Ahem* I assume this was an oversight on your part?

I agree with the rest of what you said, though.
    (2)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    *Ahem* I assume this was an oversight on your part?

I agree with the rest of what you said, though.
    Haha yeah too early in the morning I guess was meant to be Convert... Fixing that thanks
    (0)

Character
    Osmond
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    After playing RUN for weeks now I do have issues if they wanted this to be a tank? kinda? 1 of it is the Foil spell, yes it does give enmity, but it wears to quick plus it takes too much MP. If that spell at least last for 2-3min I think it would make it more justifiable w/ a 48mp cost. 2nd is that this job is completely useless to tank against high lvl mobs that have high acc. U pretty much a squishy person even if Phalanx and ice spikes up...and regen 4 is pointless. Why they didn't give this job some sort of a curing magic is beyond me. Maybe if they give a ability that restores HP by parry via trait that could help out a bit.

I do love the job and can see alot of potential, but it felt like it was rushed.
    (1)

I disagree.

Fighting Arch-Ultima as RUN/WAR with agressor up, using foil still made 50% of the TP moves miss me. I understand that this could have included parry procs, but not all of them.

With refresh 2 from RDM, I had no problem cycling flash and foil, oh and with just max haste gear and haste spell, the recast on foil is low enough to full-time it. Which you want to do for the enmity as well.
    (1)

Character
    Kaeviathan
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmond View Post
    After playing RUN for weeks now I do have issues if they wanted this to be a tank? kinda? 1 of it is the Foil spell, yes it does give enmity, but it wears to quick plus it takes too much MP. If that spell at least last for 2-3min I think it would make it more justifiable w/ a 48mp cost. 2nd is that this job is completely useless to tank against high lvl mobs that have high acc. U pretty much a squishy person even if Phalanx and ice spikes up...and regen 4 is pointless. Why they didn't give this job some sort of a curing magic is beyond me. Maybe if they give a ability that restores HP by parry via trait that could help out a bit.

I do love the job and can see alot of potential, but it felt like it was rushed.
    I don't think Foil is meant to be used full time. Probably on special occasions, like a mob that uses samurai 1hr. As for the mobs high accuracy, it be nice if Rune Fencer was given another blind spell. One that lasts longer and less potent than flash, much like the enfeebling spell "blind". This spells makes sense since the job aims to become very evasive.
    (0)

Character
    Osmond
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I don't think Foil is meant to be used full time. Probably on special occasions, like a mob that uses samurai 1hr. As for the mobs high accuracy, it be nice if Rune Fencer was given another blind spell. One that lasts longer and less potent than flash, much like the enfeebling spell "blind". This spells makes sense since the job aims to become very evasive.
    Or a merit upgrade when u activate "Swordplay" it gives it a +10eva/parry and +10 each upgrade as a bonus, but that just a thought. Another merit idea is a ability like DRK where it en-drains yet increase enmity each hit. The duration will be at least 30sec-1min but the recast is 5min. Each upgrade increase the effect. Idk, im still thinking of ideas of helping this job.
    (0)

Character
    Osmond
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    I disagree.

Fighting Arch-Ultima as RUN/WAR with agressor up, using foil still made 50% of the TP moves miss me. I understand that this could have included parry procs, but not all of them.

With refresh 2 from RDM, I had no problem cycling flash and foil, oh and with just max haste gear and haste spell, the recast on foil is low enough to full-time it. Which you want to do for the enmity as well.
    Hmm, I see your point.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast