Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What will become of Red Mage v1.0?

Rune Fencer's a very good job so far and only needs a couple of things to make it an attractive option--particularly quicker casting and some better ability to take a hit while spelling a Paladin. As I played the job through to 99, I've found myself calling it Red Mage v2.0.

This, however, leaves it's predecessor in great crisis as to what it's identity is. I am, of course, speaking about Red Mage. A lot of people in the job forum have been clamoring for better melee aspects for years only to now see it thrust upon an entirely new job. The imposition of Tranquil Heart practically took away much of it's tanking ability now that the job cannot generate hate through enfeebling and curing--moreover, it proves the saying "rare cases make for bad law" as Red Mage tanking through enfeebling was really only done with Jailer of Love.

Estoqueur's Armor, while providing good stats for the mage side, really does nothing for the melee side of the job beyond improving Composure. This was the original reason I bought the NQ Dux Scale Mail set for melee purposes. As fortune would have it, Red...err, Rune Fencer can use the same armor.

What I'd like to know from the Devs is how they plan to get Red Mage caught up with this new job. "Pink Mage" will not do in Adoulin, nor do I even want it to go down that road again.
    (12)
    Hayward: Cerberus-San d'Oria

5/5 +1: Cirque [4/5], Tantra [4/5], Ferine [4/5], Estoqueur's [1/5], Sylvan, Navarch's [1/5], Savant's, Orison [1/5], Charis [2/5]

5/5 +2: Creed, Caller's, Unkai, Iga, Raider's, Lancer's, Mavi, Ravager's, Goetia, Bale, Aoidos'

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
    Rune Fencer's a very good job so far and only needs a couple of things to make it an attractive option--particularly quicker casting and some better ability to take a hit while spelling a Paladin. As I played the job through to 99, I've found myself calling it Red Mage v2.0.

This, however, leaves it's predecessor in great crisis as to what it's identity is. I am, of course, speaking about Red Mage. A lot of people in the job forum have been clamoring for better melee aspects for years only to now see it thrust upon an entirely new job. The imposition of Tranquil Heart practically took away much of it's tanking ability now that the job cannot generate hate through enfeebling and curing--moreover, it proves the saying "rare cases make for bad law" as Red Mage tanking through enfeebling was really only done with Jailer of Love.

Estoqueur's Armor, while providing good stats for the mage side, really does nothing for the melee side of the job beyond improving Composure. This was the original reason I bought the NQ Dux Scale Mail set for melee purposes. As fortune would have it, Red...err, Rune Fencer can use the same armor.

What I'd like to know from the Devs is how they plan to get Red Mage caught up with this new job. "Pink Mage" will not do in Adoulin, nor do I even want it to go down that road again.
    I'm curious to see what their plans are for our job.

I'm a little confused at some of the gear selection. Once again we're off the light DPS set (the green outfit with the feathered cap), yet are on the coalition blade. Of course, the Dux set is a double-edged sword, as the entire set is covered in +enmity.
    (1)
    Last edited by Duelle; 05-08-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

SCH was RDM 2.0.

I have no issue with your post (in fact, bump^^), and as a PLD, the irritation you're feeling only left me a month ago, but talk to SE about RDM, and not about RUN. I know--once again, as a PLD--how futile it can be, but complaining about how far other jobs have encroached on RDM won't get you where you want to be.
    (1)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Some of the new NMs require specific debuffs (like Silence and Blind) before they can be zerged efficiently/safely. There you go! Forced utility!
    (8)

Character
    Alerith
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    A good start would be to put RDM on or give RDM a suitable selection of melee gear. Beyond that, give them an ability similar to Chain Affinity that allows them to form a skillchain with an elemental magic spell or something, so they are encouraged to cast and WS.

Some more native dark magic would be nice as well, like Absorb-TP, Drain and Aspir.
    (5)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    - I'm still wanting to be able to buff myself with multiple buffs at the same time to cut down on time spent casting stuff on myself and increasing the time for me to do other things. Just being able to Haste+Temper+Enfire myself all at once would be a huge help.

- The ability to reset buff durations on myself to further down cut on recasts once I get the ball rolling would also be a huge help. "Renew", as taken from this thread.

- More reasonably accessible melee gear. Really, why aren't we on the new light DPS armor?

- RedesignFix Enspell II's. These really should be a strict upgrade to tier I's.

- Change our merits. Elemental accuracy merits should be baked into the job via a Magic Accuracy Bonus trait. Merit spells should be naturally learned by RDM at the equivalent of 5/5 potency. Again, refer to the RDM Merit thread for ideas of what to replace them with.

- This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Would be hot if Composure granted a bonus potency to Regen,Refresh,Enspell and Spikes potency seeing as how Light Arts makes Regens ridiculously strong and Dark Arts adds a bonus to Helices.
    (5)
    Last edited by Duelle; 05-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    * The sad thing is that FFXIV turned RDM into a turret, and people think that's what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to combine sword and magic into something more, not spend the bulk of gameplay spamming spells and jump into melee for only 3 GCDs before scurrying back to the back line.

Character
    Phaffi
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    also, reevaluate your stance on RDM/NIN tanking.

love that sh*t.
    (0)

Character
    Alerith
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophannus View Post
    Would be hot if Composure granted a bonus potency to Regen, Refresh ,Enspell and Spikes potency seeing as how Light Arts makes Regens ridiculously strong and Dark Arts adds a bonus to Helices.
    Gonna disagree with the bolded portion.

I think Composure, other than extending spell duration, should be limited to things that would help a RDM melee. It already has an accuracy boost. Give it an attack boost or increased rate of critical hits, additional enhancement to Spikes spells, and maybe a bonus to Temper (Triple attack while Composure is active?).
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Phafi View Post
    also, reevaluate your stance on RDM/NIN tanking.

love that sh*t.
    An RDM/NIN tanked Urteil, 'nuff said.

(That's not saying RDM tanking's enmity is fine, simply that that fight was amazing.)

I've a question for Red Mages that's gonna get me some hate.

Why do you deserve to do more damage? An RDM has a better chance at soloing than most non-pet DDs. Each of the common subs for mages or sword/shield or dual-wielders works well for RDM to play around with. So you can't dd like a monk, but neither can bst, or pld (weapon/shield or GS) and they're stronger for melee than RDM was ever hinted at being.
    (0)

Character
    Duelle
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    I've a question for Red Mages that's gonna get me some hate.

Why do you deserve to do more damage? An RDM has a better chance at soloing than most non-pet DDs. Each of the common subs for mages or sword/shield or dual-wielders works well for RDM to play around with. So you can't dd like a monk, but neither can bst, or pld (weapon/shield or GS) and they're stronger for melee than RDM was ever hinted at being.
    The question should be "why not?".

If you notice, everything mentioned so far has been melee-related. I doubt any of us would ask for a return of ye olde "kite+DoT+Nuke" soloing, which encompassed all RDM soloing pre-Abyssea. I personally want the sword to be more useful and RDM to be kept in mind and treated as a melee mage. Right now the job is an afterthought, and has been treated as such since the Abyssea era.
    (2)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast