Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Xilkk
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yopop View Post
    You guys need to understand what your reading. The post was moved to the appropriate section so thus the section you were posting was for Site Feedback only.

As for mobs that can be Charmed.

If people leave Abyssea for awhile they'll notice there are DC/EM/T mobs for level 90 BST in all kinds of areas. Tav Safehold, Mount Z, Sky, etc

I soloed from 1-90 on BST outside of Abyssea and there are plenty of charm-able mobs based on the appropriate zone.
    Yeah, if you notice around 7:15 AM EST they also added a new clarification on the description for that section clarifying it. So, it was their intention... but it was mislabeled.

Regarding their response to greater mobs not being charm-able in the past.... That was then, this is now. things have changed considerably don't you think?
    (0)
    Choh Moui | Rongo-Nango | Lhu Mhakaracca | Lungo-Nango | Nyumomo
    --Beastmaster Forever--

I just think a lizard is a lizard, it should be charmable in Abyssea or out. Jugs are not really intended to be our main pets, at least they weren't before Abyssea. Part of the challenge of playing Beast was the possibility of a mischarm. That's really gone now. The reason beast was such a potent soloer was that no matter how tough an EM mob was, a charmed EM mob was just as tough and gave you the survivability to solo almost anywhere. I really don't like that NOW end-game a ninja is a better soloer than beastmaster as an example. I leveled beast in the 1st place so that I could play without having to wait on forming a party in almost any circumstance; it's a good thing my dancer is also 90 so that I can still solo end-game.
    (2)

Character
    Yopop
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Xilk, jeeze dude just accept you were wrong and you correct people ended up blowing up in your face.

And I'm not sure what you are speaking about past and present. The mobs I listed in my post are mobs that are in the game now.

I think people need to stop living in Abyssea and explore the zones, they've added mobs all over that are EM to VT+ to 90 , just have to get out of Abyssea and explore.
    (1)
    Re-garu-darus,

Yopop

reserved for useless space filler

Character
    Xilkk
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yopop View Post
    Xilk, jeeze dude just accept you were wrong and you correct people ended up blowing up in your face.

And I'm not sure what you are speaking about past and present. The mobs I listed in my post are mobs that are in the game now.

I think people need to stop living in Abyssea and explore the zones, they've added mobs all over that are EM to VT+ to 90 , just have to get out of Abyssea and explore.

As far as past or present, I mean when they would not allow charming greater mobs, at the time they answered that question they felt the mobs were too powerful to allow bst to use them. Game balance has changed considerably since that time. I think it is up for re-evaluation.

Sure I was incorrect... it was labeled wrong. It was contradictory. It was ambiguous. They clarified it.... not sure what you are getting at.

.... I've explored all the zones and new higher level mobs they've added with each level cap increase. I've made a few posts on ZAM specifically pointing out the uses of these higher level charmed mobs for bst. I used the new Sea Monks in Arappago to farm blu magic spells /bst. Its quite clear however that these mobs have limited utility, they are a novelty, they exist only to make it possible to level outside abyssea. They are a legal requirement so that the game is still remotely viable at high level so that all players are not required to purchase the abyssea addons.

Charm-able mobs were effectively removed from top-level content long before abyssea and the level cap increases. It is a stark contrast in the job from 1-75 vs 75+.
    (3)
    --Beastmaster Forever--

Character
    Infamy
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    I wonder if the people who are clamoring to be able to Charm again are the same people who melee in their +CHR gear. My inventory praises the day they got rid of Charming, as that means there is that much less gear to carry around.

I do have fond memories of charming mobs and pet swapping. But I definitely don't miss mis-charms, extremely limited selections of XP camps, and people stealing my pets.

I also think you guys might be missing the point. The problem with charmable mobs is that, due to game mechanics, other jobs are better BSTs than BSTs at high levels. RDMs, BLMs, NINs, DNCs, even CORs that solo things in Abyssea could go /BST and throw charmed pets at NMs to supplement damage. They'd be more effective than BST mains due to the other tools at their disposal. As it stands, jug pets make BSTs unique.

Also- what makes your pet awesome in Abyssea is your atma. Are you going to make the atmas you're using extend to mobs you charm? That makes the problem I mentioned above that much worse.
    (1)

Character
    Xilkk
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtue View Post
    I wonder if the people who are clamoring to be able to Charm again are the same people who melee in their +CHR gear. My inventory praises the day they got rid of Charming, as that means there is that much less gear to carry around.

I do have fond memories of charming mobs and pet swapping. But I definitely don't miss mis-charms, extremely limited selections of XP camps, and people stealing my pets.

I also think you guys might be missing the point. The problem with charmable mobs is that, due to game mechanics, other jobs are better BSTs than BSTs at high levels. RDMs, BLMs, NINs, DNCs, even CORs that solo things in Abyssea could go /BST and throw charmed pets at NMs to supplement damage. They'd be more effective than BST mains due to the other tools at their disposal. As it stands, jug pets make BSTs unique.

Also- what makes your pet awesome in Abyssea is your atma. Are you going to make the atmas you're using extend to mobs you charm? That makes the problem I mentioned above that much worse.
    if pet lost charm, then it would lose my atma bonus. :P
    Sure I melee in my CHR gear? who wouldn't?? Ferine Quijotes +2 Ferine Cabasset +2.. Ferine Mantle, Ferine Necklace...

the point is 12 second recast for pet vs 4:10s.
    (0)
    --Beastmaster Forever--

Character
    Infamy
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    In mentioning the CHR bonuses on AF3+2 gear (and not everyone has that), you bring up a good point. For charms you don't want to fail, you'll be stacking CHR. For duration, you'll be stacking +Charm. That's even more gear to carry around. I personally like leaving stuff like AF2 head in storage.

The point I was trying to make is that some people aim to be perfectionists. What I like about FFXI is that there is usually a "best" option for each gear slot. Once they got rid of Charm, it freed up a lot of room in my inventory.

I like the nostalgia of using Charm, but I'd be more than happy if they kept it on the backburner and just increased the variety and utility of jug pets.
    (0)

Character
    Xilkk
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtue View Post
    In mentioning the CHR bonuses on AF3+2 gear (and not everyone has that), you bring up a good point. For charms you don't want to fail, you'll be stacking CHR. For duration, you'll be stacking +Charm. That's even more gear to carry around. I personally like leaving stuff like AF2 head in storage.

The point I was trying to make is that some people aim to be perfectionists. What I like about FFXI is that there is usually a "best" option for each gear slot. Once they got rid of Charm, it freed up a lot of room in my inventory.

I like the nostalgia of using Charm, but I'd be more than happy if they kept it on the backburner and just increased the variety and utility of jug pets.
    I think reward set became much more important after we have to use jug pets. Thats more slots cuz its not chr, its mnd and we have fewer overlap pieces w/ mnd+ gear.
    (1)
    --Beastmaster Forever--

Character
    Tsukinokaji
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Just because a job can solo, doesn't mean that it should. I personing only ever lvled BST solo from 1-10, that of course is because you never pt in those lvls. Then spent the rest of my time doing more damage in parties then the best equipped elf WARs, plus my jug damage on top of that.

Oh to the topic at hand though. The whole "never charm again" issue is generated by abyssea itself. SE never thought that it would have been such a major game breaker(Since in a typical move, this was thier last-ditch-effort, while betting everything on FFXIV.). SE need to sit down and figure out how fo "fix" life outside of abyssea and/or inside abyssea so that regular zones can be useable again.
    (0)

Player
    Keep in mind, they (Square Enix) never intended for any job to solo in this game originally. Just because the playerbase found ways to do so doesn't mean its the intent for the job. Look at the way the job abilites are set to the player. the Leave command is level 35 for heavens sake. Try playing a pup or smn without being able to dismiss your pet.

As I start leveling my second BST, originally I want to experience leveling one in our "new world", with FoV and exp increases. So far, not having the need to leave Qufim Island until 40 is interesting, simply because I earn page exp on tip of 100xp per EP mob. That 100xp is what we use to shoot for defeating T mobs. I use jug pets, and just go to town. Subbing NIN or DNC to keep cured up, its so much a different ballgame then from years ago. Hell, I even see party invites easily and daily.

To be on topic, will we ever charm again? I cannot see why we would when we are given jugs that can do 4x the damage as us. Does me using a jug and not charming not make me a BST? Sure does. Just not the BST from years ago. Just like Abyssea makes getting XP easy unlike years ago.

But I will go on record, I am not a huge fan of the Abyssea stuff. I enjoyed some quick levels, but I don't do the quests, NM's, I have no atma's, I have no Emp Armor. I don't care if xy job is better than me, can solo better than me, and has better equipment than me. It's not the game I play.

I am happy with BST. Charming if I want, or using jugs.
    (2)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast