Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Krash
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Concerning the Software Token for the Smartphone.

Could we also have the Token App instead of the Security Token for Windows on the PC and not just the Smartphone.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    not very likely- the smartphone is a lot more secure than Windows. No other game does this either, that I'm aware of.

Part of what makes the token and app more effective is they are not in any way inside/part of/attached to the computer you're playing / inputting your password on and thus not susceptible to whatever security vulnerabilities might be on your Windows PC.
    (2)

Player
    Is it possible to have the app on multiple devices but registered to just one account?
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by JouriStarz View Post
    Is it possible to have the app on multiple devices but registered to just one account?
    I don't think so, my understanding is it's tied to the device you use- which is why if you reformat it, delete the app, etc, you need to use the recovery password to remove the app from your account.
    (0)

Character
    Krash
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    not very likely- the smartphone is a lot more secure than Windows. No other game does this either, that I'm aware of.

Part of what makes the token and app more effective is they are not in any way inside/part of/attached to the computer you're playing / inputting your password on and thus not susceptible to whatever security vulnerabilities might be on your Windows PC.
    Wouldn't it be possible if we could install the App on a USB flash drive, then run App form there, that way we wouldn't have to call up SE if/when the Security Token dies. Could just download user App info from S.E.A.M.

Edit;(S.E.A.M. - Square Enix Account Manager)
    (1)
    Last edited by Krashport; 05-07-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Krashport View Post
    Wouldn't it be possible if we could install the App on a USB flash drive, then run App form there, that way we wouldn't have to call up SE if/when the Security Token dies. Could just download user App info from S.E.A.M.

Edit;(S.E.A.M. - Square Enix Account Manager)
    a USB drive attached to your computer is no better than running it anywhere else on your computer. There is literally no difference other than "The USB device is a lot slower."

As I explained, the fact the token and phone app are completely isolated from the PC you're entering your credentials on is part of what helps to improve security- this drastically reduces vulnerability of the token password to various forms of attack..
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-07-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Character
    Thegreatmonkey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    The phone is just as vulnerability to attacks as your PC. The only "security" you really get is that you are running it on another OS that is not running FFXI on it.

You could also try running the phone app in the android VM to see if it will work.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatmonkey View Post
    The phone is just as vulnerability to attacks as your PC. The only "security" you really get is that you are running it on another OS that is not running FFXI on it.

You could also try running the phone app in the android VM to see if it will work.
    Your phone is not anywhere near as vulnerable to security threats as Windows.. The only thing it's majorly vulnerable to is man in the middle (e.g. you dropped/lost your phone and someone finds it and uses the password).

Android/IOS apps are sandboxed and it is extremely difficult for any outside process to influence them- They are, therefore, nearly as secure as the stand-alone token, and far, far, far more secure than the average Windows PC is.

I was even on your side at one time, arguing the phone app is less secure, but was very decidedly proven wrong. Yes, I admit I was wrong about something, so call the hate Al police.
    (1)

Character
    Thegreatmonkey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Your phone is not anywhere near as vulnerable to security threats as Windows.. The only thing it's majorly vulnerable to is man in the middle (e.g. you dropped/lost your phone and someone finds it and uses the password).

Android/IOS apps are sandboxed and it is extremely difficult for any outside process to influence them- They are, therefore, nearly as secure as the stand-alone token, and far, far, far more secure than the average Windows PC is.

I was even on your side at one time, arguing the phone app is less secure, but was very decidedly proven wrong. Yes, I admit I was wrong about something, so call the hate Al police.
    That's the same argument people say about Macintosh. Macintosh is just the same as Windows, hackers are not going after them because not a lot of people use a Macintosh. Yes right now, there are not a lot of viruses for smart phones right now but that is increasing as more and more people start to use smart phones.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatmonkey View Post
    That's the same argument people say about Macintosh. Macintosh is just the same as Windows, hackers are not going after them because not a lot of people use a Macintosh. Yes right now, there are not a lot of viruses for smart phones right now but that is increasing as more and more people start to use smart phones.
    no, it's not just a popularity thing. Smart phones are more limited in certain ways what you can do with them but these limitations also make them less vulnerable to attacks. There is also usually less to gain from attacking someone's phone, because there is generally less data stored on them. Attacking smartphones is not as easy as attacking a Windows PC- script kiddies and creators of malicious software generally take the path of least resistance. Why waste more time hacking something that's less likely to prove useful to the attacker when they can more easily get into something that's more likely to be a treasure trove of stealable information?

Also being that phones and other small devices are easily lost / stolen, it is much, much more common (and much easier) to steal someone's actual phone and break into it directly, rather than trying to attack it remotely. And this type of attack, known as "man in the middle," works equally with both the phone app and the physical token.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 05-09-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast