Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    That's a bit harsh Karby. Some people are just superstitious, doesn't mean they're not fun to hang around with. My LS is full of people who don't play perfectly because of some wrong beliefs or misinformation. We still let our THF break the Dynamis glass, which admittedly is more a tradition than an actual belief by now, but still. If they're fun to be around, why leave?

Also, superstitions don't make them bad (or stupid) players. Some things may not make sense, but are still hard to test even with TH messages, for example if mainhanding TK increases TH upgrade chance or something like that. Also, to my knowledge, it hasn't been tested yet whether or not TH upgrades are enhanced by the currently equipped level of TH, no matter how unlikely it is. So technically there could be a very good reason to fulltime TH.

I still don't believe in directional synthing, and I think that's one of the biggest superstitions in the game (and this one is nearly impossible to test even in over a 100 synths, which is why I really hope SE will shed some light on it sometime). Still I wouldn't call anyone who does it stupid, in fact some of the smartest people I know buy into that. Just the way some people play.
    I respect your Opinion on the subject, And that you may think I'm harsh, But I believe if Anything I'm very fair on the Subject. (Also Note most of this rant will probably not be directed at you, and more at defending my reasons for leaving the shell in my original post, and why i feel the idea of superstitions are okay, but not okay to be forced on other people.)

I've played the job for 6~+ years. I've done countless events with it, and even before the big update on TH i knew THF's knife could be Offhanded. This update proves that at least. And Its not so much the Superstitious stuff, Its that, If your superstitious and think you need to fulltime your TH Gear, mainhanding an inferior weapon and massively gimping your damage... Do not force it on me. My problem is with the People who try to Force me to follow their Superstitions. I do not like being told how to play my job, i was offered an ultimatum, Obey, or leave. I chose to leave.

I Can absolutely take advice, But when I'm told to do something i know is wrong, I will refuse to do it. I used to listen, But i don't anymore. If they felt that THFs should mainhand and fulltime TH+ Gear, they can level the jobs themselves.

I simply can not stand the sense of entitlement people seem to feel because they bought an 8k Item from an NPC, that they can tell you how to play your job, what to wear and when. People who are "Fun" Don't order you to keep gimping your DPS on a system that has already proven you do not need to keep your TH Gear on. I Happen to have fun with people who trust me enough to know how to play my job, Not force me to believe their superstitions. In that light me and the guy i quoted in my other post are probably different.

The guy clearly states he is told/forced to fulltime the gear, Meaning the other person is clearly forcing his superstition on this person because he holds the Sack/Shell. At least thats what i got out of it :|

Last after-thought, I'm almost 99% Positive that i remember seeing reports and tests on "TH upgrade rate based on TH+ Gear" Showing that it does not have an impact on upgrade rate in the slightest, and that, Like the Update notes say, The only way to better your chance at an upgrade is through the use of SA and TA. I could be remembering wrong... I know that i haven't ever seen a difference. But I'm just one man Eyeballing. Either way... The post above was my opinion, And i will stand by it

I hope this elaborates as to why I am so prudent when it comes to TH+ gear and other people forcing their superstitions on me.

Edit: Second Afterthought, The shell I'm talking about i left darn near 2 years ago, Its just an experience that stuck with me. I have to clarify this cause i recently left another shell due to completely different reasons and circumstances and i didn't want someone mixing them up.

Edit2: also, Where i mention in my post the "Forcing" of superstition, Its not directed to anyone on this thread, but to the old LS i'm referencing. I do not think anyone here is forcing their superstitions !
    (0)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 03-25-2011 at 04:31 AM.

The update that showed us THFs the TH level in the chatlog was a godsend. Before that update, I'd fully support a method for improving Thief Knife's damage, but now I don't care anymore. I only full-time it in Dynamis (mobs die so fast!) or while farming pop items for low-tier Abyssea NMs. For actual NM fights, I only swing it once, with TH hands and feet, and then swap to a real dagger and real gear.
    (0)

-- Fan of Abyssea and FFXI's New Direction --
    -- THF - DNC - BLM - RDM --

Character
    Snk
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by hiko View Post
    and nobody know if th gear have an effect on TH+ proc rate
    ......You realize it's easy to see TH gear effects now simply by what you're wearing & what level TH you proct on a mob when it happens? I can't believe someone actually posted something this stupid.

Also the amount of THFs I saw ages ago who main handed THF's Knife with a Blau offhand really made my head hurt. I got into the shit with someone who demanded I always wear TH gear fulltime in sky on gods.
    (0)
    Last edited by SNK; 03-25-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I'd like to see a better TH knife because it sucks to be restricted to it during farming too weaks. Specifically orcs in Dav for masks. It's just not worth the trouble of switching weapons. Say about 37-40 dmg, 176 delay, maybe a TH +2 bonus for the final trial, should suffice. I will also take the time to ask for a different model with the final version... just because I'm tired of looking at the current one. Shrug. It would mean a different dagger and that people could use TK with it but w/e. I'm not noticing a massive difference as is anyway so I doubt it's suddenly going to have a meaningful change on drop rates. Though, I want something that looks cool and not some generic piece of crap. Kind of tired that weapons only get the cool treatment under special circumstances. I guess my suggestion doesn't have to be restricted to trials and could be done via this synergy business in the works or from a NM somewhere but either way I would very much love to see a new TH dagger for THF.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    They did, they flat out said Moon Phase, day, and direction have no affect on synthing.
    People see what they want to see and ignore what doesn't fit in their paradigm. Every time you check after getting a HQ and it matches your beliefs you strengthen those beliefs, any time it doesn't, THAT'S the anomaly... Human nature.
    No, SE has never confirmed or denied or "flat out said" Moon Phase, day, and direction have no effect on synthing. The most we've gotten out of them is "If you believe, it will be so" which if you want to believe that means confirming such things have no effect then I'm inclined to point out it can also mean if you want to believe they don't effect crafting then it will be so. I'll also point out as I have many times over the years that a persons belief that they do not factor into crafting is no more valid than the other way around. These things could be coded in the game to effect crafting by .1% and we would never be able to eye ball or parse the difference. But I think we all can agree that it really just doesn't matter if it's there or isn't there. If it is it's so little that it might as well not be there to begin with.

Directional crafting has always been a really silly concept. It's easily debunked. But the others can't be so easily dismissed, and really aren't worth being tested. But I would love for SE to finally comment on it with a yes or a no. They did in regards to TH and items like lucky egg not effecting it. I wish they would for crafting.
    (0)

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Character
    Amoklauf
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    When I read the op I thought we were going to talk about TK getting another tier of of TH on it as a result of the trial, not making it a valid full-time weapon DD-wise.

However, "yes" it'd be nice to not have to full-time a crappy weapon in Dynamis or any other place where you'd be killing many weak mobs in a row. Especially when solo or duo'ing with a mage, that single dagger accounts for a relatively large portion of the overall damage, so it'd slow down in situations like farming pop items in Abyssea.

Either augmenting it with more base damage or adding enough TH to it that it'd be more "worth" the sacrifice would be welcomed. Both would be even better.
    (0)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4