Hume starting location question, regarding Windurst. (And Nationality Ring)

Terribly sorry if this is a repeated thread but I didn't seem to find anything on it by searching, and everything I've turned up in google seems to be awfully old information and I wasn't sure if perhaps anything had changed.

My question is in regards to the starting location and nation ring. I want to play a Hume character, starting as White Mage, later picking up Black Mage as a sub and finally getting Beast Master upon reaching level 30.

I want to start in Windurst because frankly I like the culture/scenery/nature of the city as well as the aesthetic attributes to the ring. While I've been told that the ring is very outdated at this point and doesn't matter I really just want it for the novelty and as a memorable keepsake.

Starting as a Hume in Windurst, will I not be able to receive the ring upon creation? I read somewhere that you can only get the ring for the Nation that your race is originated from but I didn't see anything that confirmed it, as the information was quite old.

I'm just trying to start in the city I prefer, and still get the ring that suits it.

Thanks in advance for any help offered!
    (0)

Character
    Urthdigger
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    You will not get the ring as a hume unless you start in Bastok. Really, the ring is not THAT neccessary, and you can buy it at rank 3 for some CP if you really want it.
    (0)

Could I start in Bastok, get that ring for free, and change to Windurst and buy that ring as well? :P Owning both rings?
    (0)

Character
    Zalama
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Changing nations will be expensive for a new player. Just start in Windy and go on with it. By the time you can get the ring it won't matter.
    (0)
    Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.

5. 03-22-2011 11:32 AM
    Reason
    I type slow 3 other ppl responded with same info

Character
    Radlumril
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 70
    I started a Hume in Windurst when I started FFXI in October 2010. I did not get a ring on charachter creation but do not really know yet if I miss it either.
    At present I am a Red Mage studying to fight Maat and have seen in videos on web of other Humes taking on Maat that the Windurst ring can be used during that test fight. It might be possible you can obtain the ring later with conquest points but I will need the game running to check for myself. Curious what others say.
    (0)

Character
    Zalama
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    You can buy with it CP; rank 3 item; like Urthdigger said. but honestly there is 0 need for the ring unless you're a hoarder or completion freak.
    (0)
    Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.

I don't know about my being a hoarder.. hah but I remember thinking it was really cool to get a ring from your nation back when I bought FFXI for PS2 in '04. I never ended up playing it on the PS2 for one reason or another and I finally decided to pick it up for PC.

From everything people here have said, and what I've seen on other sites I'd be better off taking advantage of the free Bastokian ring and later acquiring the Windurstian ring for collection purposes via the CP purchase.

Maybe I am a hoarder! :'( I don't like to get rid of stuff too often...
    (0)

San d'Oria / Valefor. Been playing on and off since 2004
    Character
    Blackone
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 39
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurea View Post
    I don't know about my being a hoarder.. hah but I remember thinking it was really cool to get a ring from your nation back when I bought FFXI for PS2 in '04. I never ended up playing it on the PS2 for one reason or another and I finally decided to pick it up for PC.

From everything people here have said, and what I've seen on other sites I'd be better off taking advantage of the free Bastokian ring and later acquiring the Windurstian ring for collection purposes via the CP purchase.

Maybe I am a hoarder! :'( I don't like to get rid of stuff too often...
    Best advice I can give is to start as a Hume with your free ring cause some bonus starting off is better then no bonus at all. You can always chance your nation right after and depending on the region info it might not cost as much as you may think.
    (0)