Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    If a blu can become a soulflayer if he looses control then when SE implements "play as a monster" they should add that danger for blu's as well. If you use too much blue magic without rest you become a soulflayer and start beating the s**t out of your party members, people out of party, and monsters than happen to be in agro range. Have this effect last for a minute and have the spells be incredibly potent. After the blu recovers his mind he should not be able to cast any blu spells for 5 minutes.
    While they're at it they should add those Pet: Treasure Hunter +1 pieces at the same time.
    (0)

Character
    Leara
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    If you would like to see this happening, all this is explained while going through the BLU AF gear quest "Transformations" (starting npc: Waoud again while being BLU lvl50+). You'll see a BLU not making it as one & transforms in Alzadaal Undersea Ruins. The rest of the AF gear is obtained via Lathuya in Aht Urhgan Whitegate.
    (1)

Character
    Volkai
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Edyth View Post
    Yes, Soulflayers are blue mages who lost control of their powers. That's not just the "implication"; it's the explication. It's directly stated in the game's cutscenes. I think it would be cool if some of them retained their blue magic though rather than becoming black mages when they lose their minds.
    I think the word you're looking for is explanation.

Anyways, nice job on the lack of spoiler alerts, OP.

And yes, this is how it is. No, it does not make any sense that Soulflayers, as former Blue Mages, are all Black Mages.

Anyways "went crazy" isn't quite the right term.

As part of becoming a Blue Mage, the form of the Blue Mage's soul (normally a static 'shape') is permanently destabilized, allowing the Blue Mage to copy the shape of a monster's soul and thus mimic its power momentarily. As a result, a Blue Mage has to actively and constantly maintain their soul's shape as that of their own.

A Soulflayer is a Blue Mage who is no longer able to willfully maintain the shape of their soul as that of who they are. The destabilized soul collapses and reforms into that of a soulflayer - and the body follows suit.

As far as I know, there has never been an explanation as to why Soulflayers are Black Mages. I wonder if it might have to do with the process of creating the Cobalt that is used to make Blue Mages?

Quote Originally Posted by Asymptotic View Post
    It's kind of amusing that there are "friendly" soulflayer NPCs representing members of the Immortals in a few places.
    Really? Where are these NPCs?
    (0)
    "Don't take life too seriously, you can't get out of it alive."

Adoulin is installed but still not lighting up on your title screen? Here's what to do:
    Go to https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/login?cont=account and log in, then Select Service >>> PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI >>> Add a service account (blue button) >>> input expansion software registration code.

Explication sounds just right in this context. It is not implicated, but the opposite, explicated.
    (3)

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    ^ This. Explication was used correctly. It means to make the meaning of something clear.
    (1)

Character
    Areayea
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    calm down kids... and I miss doing those jse quests
    (0)

Character
    Limecat
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Volkai View Post
    Really? Where are these NPCs?
    The immediate one that comes to mind is in one of the Mamool assaults.

I got to thinking when doing the RUN unlock quest, though. That guy talked about the runic brands going haywire. I wonder what sorts of fun implications that could have if you crossed the streams(so to speak) with out of control runic and blue magic in one individual at the same time.
    (0)

Character
    Rosalee
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    If a blu can become a soulflayer if he looses control then when SE implements "play as a monster" they should add that danger for blu's as well. If you use too much blue magic without rest you become a soulflayer and start beating the s**t out of your party members, people out of party, and monsters than happen to be in agro range. Have this effect last for a minute and have the spells be incredibly potent. After the blu recovers his mind he should not be able to cast any blu spells for 5 minutes.
    Um... how about no, nobody would take BLU's ANYWHERE if that was going to happen.
    (6)
    Current Quest Counter: 2109!

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosalie View Post
    Um... how about no, nobody would take BLU's ANYWHERE if that was going to happen.
    Uh oh... I think you just gave SE a brilliant idea!
    (0)

Character
    Kojo
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Limecat View Post
    The immediate one that comes to mind is in one of the Mamool assaults.

I got to thinking when doing the RUN unlock quest, though. That guy talked about the runic brands going haywire. I wonder what sorts of fun implications that could have if you crossed the streams(so to speak) with out of control runic and blue magic in one individual at the same time.
    Umbrils, perhaps?
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    Can you imagine waking up each morning knowing that you would have to wrestle a man-sized radish to death in order to eat?
    Sorry, had to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast