Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

Dear SE: STOP AVOIDING IT.

seriously. summoner has not had a legitimate update in over what, three years ago when you added in Favors and new BPs?

please stop neglecting summoner.

we were promised new avatars.
    we are at the absolute BOTTOM OF THE BARREL FOR DAMAGE AND SUPPORT. our DPS is right around what "Decent" Dps was at level 75 cap. only one other job in this game is as neglected as summoner, and that is redmage.

Summoner is so far behind the curve it is disgusting. no matter what summoner does, there is another job that can do it more effectively.

PET BALANCE:
    Summoner Pet:
    Durability: c
    Disposability: B
    Endurance: D
    Damage output: D
    Enhancing output: B
    Healing: D

Beastmaster pet:
    Durability: A
    Disposability:C
    Endurance:S
    Damage output: S
    Enhancing output: F
    Healing: F

Puppetmaster pet (All frames factored):
    Durability:C
    Disposability: S
    Endurance: B
    Damage output: A
    Enhancing Output: B
    Healing: S

Currently Scholar, Geo, RDM WHM, can provide ALL of the same Buffs that Summoner can provide, and with equal efficacy. we lack any true uniqueness to our job anymore.

Please stop avoiding this job and make some drastic improvements to it.
    (30)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    inbe4 moved to summoner board

Your arbitrary ratings are based on nothing but your opinions and some are flat out wrong. Are you really trying to tell me that a pet that has a wait time of up to a minute to resummon is more disposable than a pet that has a 8 second recast?

You can not throw puppets at mobs like you can throw avatars at them. This fact alone is why SMN (and BST) are highly preferable for these circumstances (e.g. walk of echoes)

SE hasn't been avoiding summoner and has made some adjustment or another in almost every update which contains job adjustments.

If nothing else we certainly know we have a good 2nd SP ability coming.

The only thing they HAVE been avoiding, which I AM bitter about, is Cait Sith and Atomos. They announced those well over a year ago and there's still no sign that they're coming.

one more edit: Let me ask one more question: Of these three jobs, which one is the most asked for by the community for any content? Answer: Summoner.
    (10)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-15-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    one more edit: Let me ask one more question: Of these three jobs, which one is the most asked for by the community for any content? Answer: Summoner.
    People do not ask for Summoner, they ask for Perfect Defense, just like most groups do not ask for SCH, they ask for Embrava. Completely remove PD, then see how many groups ask for a SMN, that will show you the jobs true worth, when you can take a single ability from a job and it falls apart, the job itself is broken.
    (25)

inbe4 moved to summoner board

Your arbitrary ratings are based on nothing but your opinions and some are flat out wrong. Are you really trying to tell me that a pet that has a wait time of up to a minute to resummon is more disposable than a pet that has a 8 second recast?

You can not throw puppets at mobs like you can throw avatars at them. This fact alone is why SMN (and BST) are highly preferable for these circumstances (e.g. walk of echoes)

SE hasn't been avoiding summoner and has made some adjustment or another in almost every update which contains job adjustments.

If nothing else we certainly know we have a good 2nd SP ability coming.

The only thing they HAVE been avoiding, which I AM bitter about, is Cait Sith and Atomos. They announced those well over a year ago and there's still no sign that they're coming.

The job in general is considerably less useful now though because of the recent adjustments (not just SMN was affected--I realize it's all pet jobs, but this thread is about SMN).

SE needs to stop turning out drastic changes like this without more thoroughly testing the impact it will have in an actual playing environment.

And seriously...making us deal with this crap for a month or longer is ridiculous. FIX IT!!!
    (5)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    People do not ask for Summoner, they ask for Perfect Defense, just like most groups do not ask for SCH, they ask for Embrava.
    This is irrelevant. They ask for the job because it has something useful they need. What better reason is there? So people want SMN because it has PD; People want SCH because it has Embrava. People want BST because it has... I can't think of anything. Both inside and outside of your narrow little view, SMN is a perfectly useable job for various activities and pretty much beats the other two out.

BST has a more durable pet, that's about all it offers. SMN offers a wide range of support effects beyond just perfect defense that are useful. PUP is not all that effective at supporting anyone other than itself - I'm not knocking the job, it's my favorite and I think its a great soloer and a good DPS when people allow it to participate - but SMN simply has more utility at events than either job.

The job in general is considerably less useful now though because of the recent adjustments (not just SMN was affected--I realize it's all pet jobs, but this thread is about SMN).
    The recent adjustments don't really affect SMN's applications in groups/events- only solo. I also beileve that the enmity issue was an unintended side effect and will be fixed.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-15-2013 at 04:11 AM.

This is irrelevant. They ask for the job because it has something useful they need. What better reason is there? So people want SMN because it has PD; People want SCH because it has Embrava. People want BST because it has... I can't think of anything. Both inside and outside of your narrow little view, SMN is a perfectly useable job for various activities and pretty much beats the other two out.

BST has a more durable pet, that's about all it offers. SMN offers a wide range of support effects beyond just perfect defense that are useful. PUP is not all that effective at supporting anyone other than itself - I'm not knocking the job, it's my favorite and I think its a great soloer and a good DPS when people allow it to participate - but SMN simply has more utility at events than either job.

The recent adjustments don't really affect SMN's applications in groups/events- only solo. I also beileve that the enmity issue was an unintended side effect and will be fixed.
    Actually, it does affect group play for pet jobs. Though the pet can still grab hate briefly like it always has, but then that hate scatters (some say worse than it was before). I've witnessed this myself on several fights in the new areas...in many cases they've been relegated to basically sitting idle to provide support while someone else tanks the mob. At best, can BP, and retreat (sometimes you have to do this because using your BP on top of casting buff/cures will cause you to grab hate, making the avatar auto attack, feeding the mob TP for pitiful damage output).

They broke how some pet jobs function with the recent updates, and need to fix it.
    (6)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by RAIST View Post
    Actually, it does affect group play for pet jobs. Though the pet can still grab hate briefly like it always has, but then that hate scatters (some say worse than it was before). I've witnessed this myself on several fights in the new areas...in many cases they've been relegated to basically sitting idle to provide support while someone else tanks the mob. At best, can BP, and retreat (sometimes you have to do this because using your BP on top of casting buff/cures will cause you to grab hate, making the avatar auto attack, feeding the mob TP for pitiful damage output).

They broke how pet jobs function with the recent updates, and need to fix it.
    I've never been to a group event other than Walk of Echoes where summoners ever needed to pull hate off anything. And in Walk of Echoes, it's all summoners and beastmasters, so if one pet doesn't have hate, it's another. This issue only really manifests in solo play and occasionally in Rieves.

Regardless, this isn't a summoner specific issue.
    (0)

Player
    Both inside and outside of your narrow little view, SMN is a perfectly useable job for various activities and pretty much beats the other two out.
    My view is no job should fall apart because of not having a single ability or spell, or be useful for that single reason either. Jobs should have more than a single function in a party, meaning, I should not bring a SMN just for PD, or a SCH just for Embrava, that is not the only thing that should make it stand out. Look at COR, sure we use COR for Wildcard, but we also use it for some ranged/magical damage and also for its unique buffs which stack with every other jobs buffs, take away WC, and its still a useful job, take away its gun, and its still a useful job. Take away SMN's PD, its a job no one wants around, take away SCH's Embrava, its a job no one wants around, these are flaws. Even with the PD nerf, nothing changed, people still use PD, just in smaller bursts, even with the Embrava change, people just deal with less DPS, unlike SMN though SCH has chainstuns still at least, no, they are not as fast, but they are still fast and accurate, what else did SMN have to fall back on in groups though?
    (8)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    My view is no job should fall apart because of not having a single ability or spell, or be useful for that single reason either.
    using your logic, WHM shouldn't fall apart because of someone not having all the cure spells, or a BLM or SCH not having the tier V nukes, or a corsair not having a certain die that they need, or BRD not having the latest minuet or madrigal.

People are not unreasonable to ask that someone come on a job have all their necessary abilities learned.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-15-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Player
    using your logic, WHM shouldn't fall apart because of not having cure IV-VI.
    Looks like you are taking away 3 spells, not one, and you are taking away the main feature of the job, curing, making your party immune to most damage and ailment is not the main feature of SMN as a job, it is the feature of Alexander, a single summon out of the 19 we currently have. I hope you see the difference here. Take away Cure 6 and WHM is still awesome because of stoneskin cures. WHM is not only good because of C5, C6, or AS, its used for multiple reasons, they are just a few of them.
    (10)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast