Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I sometimes seriously wonder of anyone at the SE offices actually plays their own game.

With all the flaws this and other content seem to have that is easily noticable by anyone who plays for 5 minutes it would seem the devs are really thick for not seeing them too.

They need to get actual gamers on the dev team who actually give it a play through before they release it
    (12)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Indeed, OP is very relevant to my interests and is likely a large issue with most people right now. I wouldn't expect much serious discussion at this point since most things that needed to be stated have already been multiple times, but still, we're being rather awful at the moment.
    (5)

Character
    Kaliyah
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    It is interesting that SE adds a battle system that quantifies your efforts by rewarding how long you stay alive....yet gives the mob you have to fight extremely overpowered AOE (I thought they learned not to do this with VNM?) so that there is a higher probability of reaching the end and not getting diddley?

I would have to ask just how much bayld is accumilated over the course of this fight, weight in the overall reward rate (succession of fights where an individual lives entire time) to know drop rate, and then revisit if a reward reset system makes sense or not for these types of fights. It is already known that it is 100k bayld to even get in, but how much did participants regain over the 4~6 hours of the fight? Think over those things before you go completely rage-mode over it.

This doesn't mean I agree with it, but depending on overall drop rate with 100% life expectancy (or 50%+) over duration, this might actually make quite a bit of sense over all. I say at this point and time there is not enough player experience or data to accurately gauge this as good or bad. I mainly say this because a "zerg it all" mentality can negate difficulty..then again it is a 4-6 hour long fight (something I also thought SE learned not to do in the past).
    (2)
    Last edited by Kitkat; 04-15-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    It doesn't matter what the drop rate is (It appears to be 100% chance to get one item from it as long as you are marked a participant). It's dumb to punish players that die because it encourages everyone to be timid about what kind of actions they take for fear of losing the chance at drops at the end of the fight. That isn't designing a monster well, that's just encouraging players to work against each other.

I've heard people getting about 20k Bayld over the course of the 4 hour fight, of course I doubt the intent was for people to fight these while they still had -75% DT.
    (12)

Character
    Kaliyah
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Saying it doesn't matter is inaccurate as it goes into understanding the reason behind why the developers decided on the action. I don't see how this encourages players to work against each other either as it actually requires you to look into alternative options and strategy. Giving players a way to easily nullify difficulty is more detrimental to players working with one another than giving them a challenge to overcome.

I may not agree with a total reset, but having some form of impact on over all reward would go a long way to making players...I don't know...plan what they need to do? Not trying to be a troll, I'm putting legitimate thought into this. I do question taking extreme AoE damage (shouldn't have to worry about being 1 shot to the point of absurdity which happens often once a mob is under 30% HP), and I also question the length of the fight itself. Four to six hours to do a single fight seems extreme given the fact SE went out of their way years ago to make PW and AV down to two hour maximum length fights.

So there is a possiblity there might be a flaw in the system, or they set it up this way intentionally to see if players had the capacity to rethink their strategies for success. As I stated though, there is room for tweaks and changes as well considering how they have lead players to generally do fights over the last 6 years of development.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    Four to six hours to do a single fight seems extreme given the fact SE went out of their way years ago to make PW and AV down to two hour maximum length fights.
    Well if you look at it this way, according to what has been said in this thread it has a -DT effect equal to 100-ColRate, so when fighting it, it had roughly -75% DT. Now if it was at a 100%ColRate, it would have been taking 4 times the damage, meaning it would have taken 1 hour to kill roughly. If that is the case, we have a way to make these fights shorter, where as so far as I know PW and AV had no such thing, it was simply a bitch of a fight to kill them. Basically at 75% or higher ColRate we should be seeing around 2 hour fights, and that means it matches up with the old Superbosses of FFXI. Is the time taken still to long? I think so myself because this still depends on the server wide effort, which is a bad way to do it as shown by WotG, but if the rates are kept up well enough it could end up being ok.
    (3)

concerning...
    (3)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I don't see how this encourages players to work against each other either as it actually requires you to look into alternative options and strategy.
    Because making dying so impactive on your individual reward means that the only strategy everyone can agree on is one where nobody is in danger, which of course makes no sense.

I may not agree with a total reset, but having some form of impact on over all reward would go a long way to making players...I don't know...plan what they need to do?
    I would rather have the monster actually be designed in a way so that these strategies are considered rather than them forcing it a certain way because of the way the reward system works. This isn't about making the game easy or hard, it's about the reward system being retarded.

It's the difference between:
    A) Making a monster take -90% DT unless you magic burst and
    B) Making a monster take -90% DT to pretty much everything but all BLMs get no reward if you don't constantly magic burst it

One is a monster designed in a way to encourage players to play a certain way. The other is just laziness.

If they want people to fight it at a certain pace and easy way to do it is do exactly what they did with Cerberus Seether and have it build up DT, except make it based on how rapidly it's taking damage and make the DT disperse over time. For bonus points make the higher DT give it STP+100 or whatever. That's a way to make people think, "okay, zerging is a really dumb idea".
    (4)
    Last edited by Kincard; 04-15-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Character
    Nephilipitou
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 90
    I can imagine a combination where people have SMN, NIN and Bard and they zerg the heck out of it, keeping Migawari up and Sherzo at all times, keeping marches up maybe Minne if it would have a decent effect. Then again this is all hypothetical. Do not blame me if you run in with Hymnus, Sherzo, Migawari, March x2, rotate bards in for Mambo, Minne, or Minuet and NM 1 shots everyone twice. I have no idea how hard those AoE hit so just don't blame me if you take my advice as anything more than theoretical ramblings of a random Jack-of-All trades....master of... don't judge me.
    (0)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Well that's just the thing. Most of the people that were fighting these things WERE rotating earthen armor/scherzo, they ended up doing PD rotations because of how ridiculously easily they were dying even with both those things up.

Migawari would work if more than a single job had it, it didn't have such a long recast, and if Ninja was actually a useful job in any way.
    (1)

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast