Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Caesaris
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99

Rune Fencer MAB Magic Burst!! Type em if you got em!

Did a ton of Damage last night fighting Dolls in Abyssea - Altepa.
    I used Tellus and Did a Scission Skillchain for the Burst Damage!

99 RUN/49 SAM with 200% or more TP

1. Put up 3 Earth Runes
    2. Hit Mob with Gambit to lower its resistance to Earth
    3. Put up 3 MORE Earth Runes
    4. Sekkanoki
    5. Herculean Slash
    6. Resolution
    7. Lunge those 3 Earth Runes up his @$$

I had a Moldavite Earring, Hecate's Earring, and Stoicheion Medal on for MAB +19(i think)

I got so excited that I didn't see what damage the WS's or Skillchain Did... but I did notice that Lunge Magic Bursted for over 2700 Damage on the T doll.
    (0)

Player
    That's cool and all, but the time you wasted putting those runes up, you could've just done a second/third/maybe fourth... resolution. Matter of fact, instead of trying to skillchain you could've just killed another doll with another resolution. Instead of doing lol herculean slash.

Also, willing to bet you gimped yourself with at least one MAB atma instead of legit melee atmas. (could be wrong) slowing yourself down even further.
    (4)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karah View Post
    That's cool and all, but the time you wasted putting those runes up, you could've just done a second/third/maybe fourth... resolution. Matter of fact, instead of trying to skillchain you could've just killed another doll with another resolution. Instead of doing lol herculean slash.

Also, willing to bet you gimped yourself with at least one MAB atma instead of legit melee atmas. (could be wrong) slowing yourself down even further.
    Nothing against what you were saying, but you sound kind of elitist here.

Meanwhile -- Karah's right. Between the time to put up all of those Runes, gambit, put up more runes, you could have landed 3-4 Resolutions about as much damage. (I average 1000 damage on a -bad- Resolution. You basically did an estimated total of 1000 + 2700 + 400 [I haven't seen Herc do much more than that on average...] when, properly geared, you can easily do 2-3 Resolutions at 1.5-2k each, especially in Abbysea.)

Nice of you to try new stuff, but for the effort that's not as much worth it in the numbers as it is cool to look at.
    (0)
    Somewhere in space... this could be happening right now.

Character
    Orakio
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99

Amazing, you can do 3-4 resolutions in the 6 seconds of animation delay from putting up the runes? Sure is a lot of TP to generate in 6 seconds.

Or what you meant to say was if he was really focused on damage he would have used resolution instead of herculean and if he was focused on killing the mobs he wouldn't have held off for the lunge after a gambit? If it's the second one that is a much better point than your snide post but fails to recognize the OP's title of the post and his likely objective.... testing magic burst numbers on a lunge with gambit up and MAB gear equipped. A situation that is more likely on nm's in a small party than solo (most solo non-nm's won't last long enough for gambit+lunge) but that may be something he might not have felt comfortable attempting on his own.

To the OP: Very cool to see somebody actually have fun with the mechanics of rune and see what they can do with Lunge. Just to confirm this was with a capped+merit'd GSword skill (440 skill)? Did you use any additional + Gsword equipment to further bump the skill portion of the lunge damgae or did you just use the 3 MAB pieces?

Also, any particular reason you used Tellus? I thought dolls were typically weak to lightning so why not give it a shot with Sulpor instead? May be a bit fuzzy on this one though.
    (2)
    Last edited by orakio; 04-12-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Player
    Everytime you use a JA you reset your melee swing, 6 resets... is alot more than 6 seconds, seems as though you have no clue how damage works.
    (2)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Everytime you use a JA you reset your melee swing, 6 resets... is alot more than 6 seconds, seems as though you have no clue how damage works.
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by orakio View Post
    Amazing, you can do 3-4 resolutions in the 6 seconds of animation delay from putting up the runes? Sure is a lot of TP to generate in 6 seconds.

Or what you meant to say was if he was really focused on damage he would have used resolution instead of herculean and if he was focused on killing the mobs he wouldn't have held off for the lunge after a gambit? If it's the second one that is a much better point than your snide post but fails to recognize the OP's title of the post and his likely objective.... testing magic burst numbers on a lunge with gambit up and MAB gear equipped. A situation that is more likely on nm's in a small party than solo (most solo non-nm's won't last long enough for gambit+lunge) but that may be something he might not have felt comfortable attempting on his own.

To the OP: Very cool to see somebody actually have fun with the mechanics of rune and see what they can do with Lunge. Just to confirm this was with a capped+merit'd GSword skill (440 skill)? Did you use any additional + Gsword equipment to further bump the skill portion of the lunge damgae or did you just use the 3 MAB pieces?

Also, any particular reason you used Tellus? I thought dolls were typically weak to lightning so why not give it a shot with Sulpor instead? May be a bit fuzzy on this one though.
    If Earth MBs, then Thunder wouldn't.

Light: Fire, Thunder, Wind
    Dark: Water, Earth, Ice

(Might be off on the specifics there, but the principle behind what I'm saying is sound even if an element or two is swapped.)

I'm pretty sure there is no combination of skillchain composed of two opposing elements. Which is kind of another reason why this is inferior to what it could be with at least one other person on deck.

What Karah was saying is that the numbers behind it show you losing a lot more damage than you're gaining. I agree that its cool to see someone doing different things (I do weird and fun stuff myself just for the heck of it.) but you can't circumvent the fact that this is just for-fun stuff.

I do stuff like this all the time, I solo-SC'd an Umbril and hit it for Light Lunge for 3k damage -- and it was awesome. Doesn't change the fact that it is impractical and almost wasteful in a non-solo situation. (its wasteful in a solo situation as well... but when you're solo who's going to tell you how to play?)
    (1)
    Last edited by Horadrim; 04-12-2013 at 05:12 AM.
    Somewhere in space... this could be happening right now.

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Sounds like something fun to play with but that's about it as it just wastes too much time overall.

Job Abilities add a 2 second delay they don't rest your delay.

Edit: To be clear in high haste situations it may seem as though your delay is reset but that is actually because you can get below a 2 second swing cycle on many jobs.
    (1)
    Last edited by Zagen; 04-12-2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Hast haste

Player
    Poor choice of wording, didn't mean it complete resets it to zero.

Had meant that the 10 second + delay on using runes, wasted an entire minute+ to stack 3 runes > use JA > stack another 3 runes.
    (1)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Poor choice of wording, didn't mean it complete resets it to zero.

Had meant that the 10 second + delay on using runes, wasted an entire minute+ to stack 3 runes > use JA > stack another 3 runes.
    I had a feeling that's what you meant but I clarified so there wasn't confusion on other readers' part.
    (0)

Character
    Orakio
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    If Earth MBs, then Thunder wouldn't.

I'm pretty sure there is no combination of skillchain composed of two opposing elements. Which is kind of another reason why this is inferior to what it could be with at least one other person on deck.
    Oh i get that part, know he can't use the same SC for it just wondering if he could see what some of the more vulnerable damage types can do for fun factor.

Again for Karah though, when using lunge in a solo situation you don't have to build 6 stacks of a rune. The cooldowns and natures of gambit+lunge are such that you will have over 4 minutes (24 full cooldowns) of not building runes while waiting on the next lunge. That means when he goes to do his burst its Gambit->rune, 10 sec delay, rune, 10 sec delay,rune, Lunge.

Again, not an entire minute plus to utilize the ability, 20-25 seconds at best and resulting in 4 seconds worth of delayed animations on an autoattack. Now if you consider while soloing he has at most access to 41% haste (26% gear + 15% haste spell as /rdm or /whm) and the standard delay of a Greatsword being in the 430-480 delay ranged that gives you a time period between rounds of 4.2-4.72 seconds. Therefore, no attack animation lost on hits.

So in this case for testing purposes his only loss of damage was from a herculean instead of resolution, but as a gain he gets SC damage + Magic Burst Bonus. Now lets look at some numbers hypothetically here and see what the real damage situation is.

Lets say his resolution does 1.5k, his Herculean does 400 damage and his lunge baseline is 1650 (440 gsword skill, no MAB gear) damage.
    Resolution + Resolution + Lunge = 1.5k+1.5k+1.65k for 4650 total
    Resolution + Resolution + Gambit + Lunge = 1.5k+1.5k+1.3(1.65k) for 5145 damage
    Herculean + Resolution + Lunge = 400+1.5k+(SC50% of reso dam)750+1.3(magic burst)(1.65k) for up to 4795 damage with no SC damage reist
    Herculean + Resolution + Gambit + Lunge = 400 + 1.5k +750(SC)+1.6(1.65k) for up to 5290 damage.

Now one of two other situations comes into play here, and that is what his subjob was. With /drk or /war or against much lower level mobs he probably has the attack for a higher modifier on his resolution. In the event of a high attack relative to mob defense, yes the resolution could probably be the better WS. However in a more typical solo setup with /rdm or /whm or /dnc or /blu or even /sam the resolution damage should be relatively lower due to low attack on mid tier armor and lack of attack traits from job/subjob.

What I am trying to illustrate though is that you both overexaggerated the damage difference between the double resolution and the amount of time it requires to put up runes if you do so intelligently. Of course you aren't going into each combat round with 0 runes up and trying to start that gambit+lunge combo, just seems kind of silly to make that assumption.
    (1)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast