Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A Beginners Guide to Reives. All you need to Know and More.

Hello Everyone! At the suggestion of Luvbunny, I Decided to try and make a general PSA About the intrcasies of Reives. Now pretty much everything about Reives is spelled out by the NPCs, but i know learning is hard and its easier to just mash enter for you Bayid than to figure out what "Coalition Flag" means and why it SUCKS for Peacekeepers guild, So This guide is here to help you learn a few basics, get your Key items, and really help you get a lot of Bayid, it a short time, and avoid the rather ludicrous amount of people camping Roots in Ceizac like they drop Kraken Clubs.

Off to the Start.

Getting Started: A (Kinda) Complete list of important Quests you need.

Reives are a simple concept. Its basically campaign for SoA, but significantly more fluid, fast paced, and... its fair share of flaws. I won't go into the flaws, but you can check out the gist of it here.

First off!
    If you're hitting the roots for 0 and don't know why... HERE YA GO - do this quest: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Grind_to_Sawdust -- Cause you're going to need the Key item from it in order to actually damage Roots in the battles, which is pretty important. The Quest is pretty simple, really just gotta join and gtfo then go talk to him again. easy as pie.

Second!
    You'll want to do this quest: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Scaredy-Cats -- This Quest required you to fight a Fomor, but overall its rather simple. This quest give you access to the "Reive Unity" Key item, This Key Item greatly aids you in Reives. The bonuses you get from this include.

Status Effect Removal
    HP Recovery
    MP Recovery
    Max HP/MP Boost
    TP Restore (300%)
    Accuracy Bonus
    Attack Bonus
    Weaponskill Accuracy

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. But thats the gist of it. You'll want these two Key items above all else, as they are going to alleviate a lot of your stress.

Third!
    Now, You're probably ready to get started, and you are! There's two areas you'll want to do battle in.

Ceizac Battlegrounds
    Yahse Hunting Grounds

Now, there are more Reives, but until you colonize these two areas, the other areas you just aren't really going to influence too much. The basis of colonization is Reives, but there's a lot more too it than that. While I'm not privy to everything, We'll go into detail a little further down

FORF(fourth)
    Waypoints! Waypoints are amazing things that help you travel around Adoulin and its outlining areas quite quickly. More Waypoints are generated when new Biovaucs(whatever) are created. But as a base, There are plenty available in Western and Eastern Adoulin, and 1 In each Yahse and Ceizac that I've come across.

Ceizac Battlegrounds Waypoint is right outside of town
    Yahse Hunting Grounds Waypoint is at K-9, near the beach. Incidentally there is a man who will take you too and from Adoulin by boat closeby.

I Also recommend completing this quest: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Western_Waypoints,_Ho! - For easy Bayid, Exp, and Kinetic Energy for your Waypoint usage. You can also refill your Energy by trading any waypoint Crystals!

Reives, Coalitions, and Why your vote counts!
    Lets start with Coalitions. There's quite a few and you may not really understand what helping each one does, but lets give you a runddown of three of the more important ones.

Eastern Adoulin - Scouts Coalition: Provides Maps to you, 3 are free, the rest are not. Aiding the Scouts Coalition makes more maps available, and helps in a few other ways.

Eastern Adoulin - Peacekeepers Coalition: Provides Bayid Armor and Weapons, Improving them gives us access to more weapons and armor via them, including the "Reive:" Weapons, and Base set body/heads.

Western Adoulin - Couriers Coalition: Helps build Outposts, Which allow us to advanced past that ~10% Colonization cap the zones seem to hover around. Once more of the Biovaucs(Whatever) are built, Colonization can go higher. Helping this Coalition is vital to colonization.

Second
    Your Votes, this is probably the single biggest thing people DO NOT realize they are throwing away when they do Coalition Assignments and spam enter for their Bayid and exp. Votes are the single most important thing you get from Coalition assignments. Let me give you an example... The Peacekeepers Coalition has 3 Options. Flag, Signboard, Emblem. (All Coalitions have these options). Now,

The Flag unlocks Weapons
    The Signboard Unlocks, Body and Head Armor
    The Emblem Unlocks, Potions/Ethers are outposts (This is my guess, Coalition Potions/Ethers are int he game, and this expands Frontline Provisions)

So you see how your vote matters? By spamming enter, You're voting for those godawful weapons, instead of the epic body/head armors. Your vote matters, and you should read what each guild offers. To find this information. Speak to a "Civil Registrar" in each guild, and select "Current Coalition Expansion Plans", And they will inform you of what each vote will go for. READ! --- As a Bonus, each upgrade also adds effects to Ionis. Which is point 3.

THREE!
    Ionis. ionis is a mostly useless buff right now, in exchange for 10 Bayid, You get some bonuses associated with the current Coalition levels and upgrades. On Asura, and im sure every other server cause no one READS, the Pioneer's Coalition is like Rank 1, with a lovely Flag on its door. This means your Ionis gives you +10 Attack. So, Its 10 Bayid for 10 Attack on most servers, But this will get progressively more awesome as the conquest tallies fly by.

Ionis is probably going to be one of the most impressive effects in Adoulin once the Coalitions are advanced enough. So keep an eye out for this.

BUT WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL THIS BAYID KARB?!
    Bayid can be used to purchase many many things, Right now, You're looking at Armor, Weapons, Maps, Tools, Coalition grease to upgrade your armor/weapons. etc. The NPCs who will help you with this are:

Vesca - Peacekeepers Coalition - Eastern Adouline: Sells the Armor/Weapons. Coalition Weapons/3 Base Sets. Signboard Unlocks Head/Body, Flag unlocks the Weapons. At base she sells the Coalition Shield, and the Hand/Legs/feet of the three sets.

Scouts Coalition - Eastern Adoulin - Sells Maps. Make use of them!

Pioneer's Coalition - Western Adoulin - Sells H.E.L.M Supplies and Armor. At base, Just normal Supplies, With upgrades adds Pioneer's Sickle/etc, as well as Pioneer's sets for H.E.L.M.

Inventor's Coalition - Western Adouline - Can find a taru there selling Coalition Grease, used to upgrade your Sets with Augments. They are

Heavy Set - HP+ Augments
    Medium Set - HP/MP+ Augments
    Light Set - MP+ Augments.

Static, always the same, so dont waste time upgrading the same peice.

Battle Strategies, or, How to Maximize your Bayid and Colonization!

This is a pretty heavy topic, a lot of different strategies exist, and a lot involve sleep or PLDs, but here's a few basic strategies even you can do!

THE PALADIN: This is the most common strategy, a PLD Will aggro all the enemies, and Super Tank with either Ochain or some other means. If he doesnt get hate on all of them, he can have an outside healer. unfortunately SE really fked up Enmity and healers are getting hate like every spell they cast is Provoke on Steroids... But this method really works. Now, the basic plan is just PLD Hold and DD rape the wall, but honestly, thats not going to get you alot of Bayid, and the battles will end quickly. Here's my suggestion.

*TALK - Talk to your people there, form a plan. Yes there will always be that guy who insists he is super dooper right in thinking he should hold all the mobs, no one kills em, and just rape the wall. He's dumb. No matter how nice his Ochain is, he's stupid and should feel bad about his stupidity. Ignore him.

*Kill Enemies - Kill the Mobs there, The more you kill, the more Reive Unity bonuses, the longer the fights, the more Bayid. Make a plan. Have a handful of your DD's focus on the roots, and a handful help kill the adds 1 by 1 off the main tank. This will elongate battle a bit, get everyone more exp/Bayid, and leave a lot less downtime.

*Zerging is bad - Only thing this does is ruin how much exp/bayid you get, and leave super long waits between the next reive, everyone loses. This event isn't about winning the quickest, its about spreading it out. You want to win for colonization, But you want the fight to take ~5-10 MInutes. Cause no matter how fast you kill, its doing nothing for your colonization without people doing the Coalition assignments. Slow down.

No Paladin Strategies:Incase that dumb PLD who insists on holding all mobs while no one kills them cause he's super right decided to run away crying and stomping his feet cause you called him dumb and showed him how dumb he is with your cold hard logic about why he's wrong... You may want to consider an alternative strategy to having a PLD Hold the mobs. This is it.

*Designate 2 Sleepers. - BLU's work really well for this for two reasons, 1) Mages get screwed on evalutations HARDCORE, so goodluck finding someone on BLM willing to do this, 2) They can melee/DD/Helpcure/Buff/Survive and Sleep/Stun, meaning they get bayid, and are happy! --- So to recap BLUs are awesome

*Designate 2-3 tanks - This is going to be a Thief, NIN, or any great solo job (DNC/NIN, etc). Their goal is to hold the enemies and kill them, 1 by 1, or 2 at a time (One with a tank each). You do not want too many awake at a time because it causes chaos, especially for the WHM you'll be lucky to find if at all... And it leads to more chances of AoE spam killing off your support (especially with Mantis and Grasshoppers). So Tanks focus on 1-2mobs max.

*Tell your DDs their job - Designate Half your DDs to fight the Roots, the other half to killing with the Tanks. DD's can handle themselves, and really help speed things up. now i know this is probably crazy, But i notice SIGNIFICANTLY more exp/Bayid when everyones doing their job, Mobs die fast, and roots are taking damage, than i do with just zerging roots and sleeping the mobs. I think the Maximum Evaluation amount is determined by the group effort and not the individual, but thats just me... Something about Steadily killing both Mobs and Tree gives more rewards for everyone involved in my experience.

**BONUS: If you're on a mage job, Melee the Roots, but keep curing/buffing. You'll get more exp hitting a wall for 10 dmg than you'll ever get just keeping up a full buff/haste/cure cycle alone. Do both at the same time to maximize your exp until SE unnerfs Support/Healing jobs in Reives.

-----

Now, these aren't the only two strategies, but these are probably the best available, and can work with as little as 4-6 People. This is your best bet. Again i'll repeat. Take it slow. - Anyone who tells you that you're wrong with the above strategies are just fools. No reason to zerg these things, colonization is influenced far more by Coalition assignments than Reives, FAR more, If your fights end in 2-3 Minutes, everyone is being robbed. Spread the knowledge, teach the ignorant. Goodluck

Is My Job good for Reives?
    This will be pretty straight forward, every job has its benefits and downsides in Reives, but is your job good? Lets take a look. Most of this stuff is opinions and how it falls into battle strategy, so don't use it as a guide on what job to chose, just more what to expect if you go into a reive.

WAR: Strong, Solid DD. Good survivability... Don't ride Berserk unless you're on Root duty, Or you'll be an MP sink and Die. With a good PDT set and support, You can Fell Cleave enemies down, as each enemy grants you reive unity bonuses, and "Ability recast" (I.E restore all JAs, including 2hour) is a possible outcome.

MNK: Strong DD, Great survivability, self sufficient. Good as a tank and a DD. Don't focus too much on counterstance unless you're with a supportive healer, otherwise you might eat dirt pretty quickly. Still a solid job.

WHM: You'll want to Fight the Roots as well as cure/haste. Much better since SE Nerfed Melee/Buffed Healing. Same goes for Other mage jobs.

BLM: You'll suffer a lot of the same Bayid loss WHM Does, but meleeing and Helping with Sleepga, you'll be a great asset to a group. Plus you can always help nuke here and there. Saddly you'll die to AoEs pretty quickly in some areas if you're not careful. With how small the area you have to fight is, its real tough to stand at a safe spot, so you may find yourself Paralyzed/Silenced by Butterflies quite often.

RDM: You have a step above most mage jobs due to some innate melee qualities. Do your buff/Cures, and bust out your DD set to beat up the Roots. You should get decent exp if done right. Just don't ignore those in need of a cure or haste. Helping everyone helps you. Sleep is good to have too btw.

THF: Decent DD, Solid EVA Tank, kinda squishy. In a PLD Tank situation, You're going to be a DD on the roots or helping kill enemies. You'll do a good job, but you can die really quick if you're not careful. a Hybrid EVA/DD set is needed, as they are fairly accurate and will hit you for 180~300+ DMG, more on crits. as THF/DNC i could solo 1-2 mobs with little problems (FINAL STING FK YOU), But you want to be prepared, having a healer or Duo buddy, namely another DNC or /DNC, really helps.

DRK: Same as WAR mostly, with a bit more survivability under your belt. with Apoc you're going to really help... Do your thing, and fight.

DRG: Same as WAR mostly, with the added fun of having your Wyvern to help cure.

SMN: Buff. Cure. Melee. I suggest Hastega/Stoneskinga as primary buffs, They help everyone. But above all bust out the staff and hit the roots, keep your pet on them too.

PLD: Your job is clear. Tank monks like a boss.

BST: Great DD, Pets can hold hate on a mob, You're probably a solid tank besides THF if you can keep it on your pet. Your role will vary

BRD: Pretty obvious. Buff/DD. Help cure if you're /WHM or /DNC, murder if you're /NIN. Just buff and fight the roots or mobs, dont die on us.

RNG: Same as other DD, probably the least likely to aggro enemies on the other side of the root cause you can hit it from far. Probably best to stand in melee range and arrow every so often.

SAM: Same as other DD, Good tanking too.

NIN: Same as THF almost down to the letter, with added survivability of shadows at loss of some evasion.

BLU: Valued. very valued. Sleeper, DD, tank, healer, stun... If you find a good BLU, any plan can come together easily. use Dream Flower.

COR: Same as BRD

PUP: Good DD, Healer with Automaton, very nice to have. Sick your pet on the Roots with a light maneuver on WHM Pup, and you're solid. Very fun to play, gets a good degree of exp/bayid

SCH: About same as BLM/WHM. Sorry

RUN/GEO: No clue.

Have fun out there, and remember, do what you're best at.

Your Reive Hunting Grounds! (DAT MEANS MAPS)
    Keys:
    RED = Known ROOT locations (I.e Colonization Reives)
    BLUE = Known NEST Locations (I.e Lair Reives)

Known Reive Locations in yahse -

Known Reive Locations in Ceizac

Unfortunately I know little of Ceizac as its a cesspool on Asura atm, so i avoid it. Please let me know positions of Ceizac or Yahse if i don't have them up here, and i will update them ASAP. Thanks!

Closing:
    Thats all for now, I'll add more shortly, but in the end... READ, and know your votes count. - If you have anything you want added, let me know, and I'll put it in. For a list of useful quests, visit here:

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Category:Adoulin_Quests

Full credit to all the wonderful folks at BG for putting these together.
    (19)
    Last edited by Karbuncle; 04-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Probably suggests the basic set up and what jobs should do. In case people just zerg the root instead of farming the bayld. Also the Reive Unity will restore your 1 hour ability. As beast you can charm nearby T mob, familiar. And do it again as soon as the reive is over, assuming you get the restore ability bonus. A Rdm/Bst can also have your fun with charisma gears and chatoyant staff. Charm and have fun exploring, your pet should not have any trouble holding hate unlike jug pets.
    (0)

Aye, Was actually making some Maps and adding that in a new section very shortly. I just uh... Really had to afk a second :P
    (0)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    In case you wonder, as Rdm/Bst your mob should last a good while, at least one battle duration, just use leave and recharm. Take care of links and use tame if things get dire. Between your mini wide scan and your self buffs, and gain chr, you should be able to have fun exploring - you do need your beast to be 99 however. Also abyssea graduate with low skills, don't take SoA lightly, you will get mow down and killed rather fast. Get your skills at max or close to it. Most mob will resist - this goes for fresh ninja and Rdm out there.
    (0)

Revised, Added maps... need help on reive locations. If someone wants to update Ceizak, feel free to post it here and i'll add it to OP.

Added Strategies and basic job rundown.
    (0)

Player

Looks terrible but its some of the Reive locations for Ceizac if you wish to update your map with the locations.
    (0)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Thanks so much for putting this guide Karb!! Hope this helps all of you who wonders what to do. Whack that roots and run around in corridor to whack more roots for more logs!! Yay for logs!!
    (0)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Here is a question that I am still not quite clear. Do you get more xp/bayld the longer you hold out from destroying the roots and keep killing the little adds? There should be a reason why there are 4-6 roots per site compared to one wasp nest, and how it takes a lot of whacking to kill these roots. As well as they have one hour respawn. Because if you do get more xp/bayld the more you kill normal reive mobs that also spawn rather fast (for a reason) - while still whacking the root for 4-10 damage. Roots location also rather large and has two sides compared to the nest location. Then this could be our replacement for abysea party, we farm xp/bayld and no need to worry about lights and opening chest. No more drama over afk and leechers. And actually do give you a good skill ups rate. Anyone can confirm this? Also as mages, do we get more points spamming enhancing magic? Since this is somewhat similar to campaign, I wonder if this also apply.
    (0)
    Last edited by Luvbunny; 04-03-2013 at 01:17 PM.

They avoided a campaign situation and enhancing magic is pretty.. bad... Still use it, bUt you'll get more exp out of melee+Cures.

As far as Exp/Bayid goes, You get Evaluated every minute or so, So the longer the fight, the more evaluations, the more exp/bayid. There is nothing Bayid/Exp wise that you get from killing it as quickly as possible, all that does it help some unknown amount in Colonization, which again, is pointless without Courier Coalition assignments and Biovaucs.

Saddly, I while Roots could prove a decent exp location, It'd suck for Mages, and beyond all else someones going to come and kill the roots.

Also, nests seem to have significantly lower Exp/Bayid caps than Roots. Lair Reives give less Exp/bayid on average, Even if you're team is killing all the enemies over and over, less exp/bayid all around. Colonization are definitely the better for it.

Added the updated map too, Thank you!
    (0)

Character
    Aerolite
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I've seen you post the word "Bayid" several times, but it's actually spelled Bayld.
    (2)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast