Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Player
    i agree that run is going to have a hard time to tank as it is now(i'm 40 atm).
    also, the job isn't really that fun to play to me.
    you buff, pop your runes, then you hit.
    you can use lunge that repop your runes if you want a little action, but 3 mn is way to long for the only action the job has.
    you can ward if a spell is comming.
    other that that, hit. ws.
    bar spells aren't really hate tools, nor regen/protact/shell.
    i have yet to test foil but i doubt it's gamechanging.

to me, like dnc and sch, the job was created as a sub. no real skill and based on main weapon so every dd can use it.
    (0)

Character
    Hesper
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Did some more thinking and talking to some friends about ideas and one pointed out an interesting idea that would in my opinion help RUN with it's taking the physical hits in between spell casts and that was a buff to Blink to follow more in suit with BLU's Occulation and base the number of Blink Shadows off of Enhancing magic. Again I wouldn't see this being game breaking but at the same time at least making one of RUN's (And many other magic casting jobs) Spells a bit more useful.

As for the job looking like a sub only like DNC has become (SCH at least has uses as a main job) I don't really see this being the case with RUN since well other then a very few defense traits vs magic it doesn't really bring that much to the table that a sub like /RDM would bring for those same jobs other then a En Spell based off of your main weapon's Damage and not your magic skill and slightly better strength.

On the note of hate tools I do have to agree that it's lacking in that department since Flash is it's only native hate tool with out dealing damage and enhancing magic got it's hate nerfed because of people tanking on RDMs. from what I could get from Lunge the damage seemed at least at lower levels a bit to be a little weak since my melee attacks with the En Spell effect were quite a bit stronger the lunge (Though atm no MAB gear to make it stronger maybe that will change when I get access to that gear and more runes) But 3 minutes is a bit long for another hate tool that RUN could be using to help it hold hate as a tank.

Again know it's going to be quite a while before we see a fully working RUN but every idea should help. Me personally I would like to see this as a job that people both enjoy and find useful.
    (0)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nureus View Post
    Did some more thinking and talking to some friends about ideas and one pointed out an interesting idea that would in my opinion help RUN with it's taking the physical hits in between spell casts and that was a buff to Blink to follow more in suit with BLU's Occulation and base the number of Blink Shadows off of Enhancing magic. Again I wouldn't see this being game breaking but at the same time at least making one of RUN's (And many other magic casting jobs) Spells a bit more useful.

As for the job looking like a sub only like DNC has become (SCH at least has uses as a main job) I don't really see this being the case with RUN since well other then a very few defense traits vs magic it doesn't really bring that much to the table that a sub like /RDM would bring for those same jobs other then a En Spell based off of your main weapon's Damage and not your magic skill and slightly better strength.

On the note of hate tools I do have to agree that it's lacking in that department since Flash is it's only native hate tool with out dealing damage and enhancing magic got it's hate nerfed because of people tanking on RDMs. from what I could get from Lunge the damage seemed at least at lower levels a bit to be a little weak since my melee attacks with the En Spell effect were quite a bit stronger the lunge (Though atm no MAB gear to make it stronger maybe that will change when I get access to that gear and more runes) But 3 minutes is a bit long for another hate tool that RUN could be using to help it hold hate as a tank.

Again know it's going to be quite a while before we see a fully working RUN but every idea should help. Me personally I would like to see this as a job that people both enjoy and find useful.
    Every job has a use and can be used in anything -- you just have to find a team willing to accept you and allow you to do your thing.

The problem isn't really the job as much as it is the community climate about how content has to be handled. If we address this mentality that "Zerg or GTFO" is the only way the game can work then a lot more options open up. Frankly all GEO and RUN need is a bit of time, their merits/relic/empy/mythic and they're good to go.

Frankly, I enjoy RUN and I consider it my main right next to PUP. I'm going to be pushing to do more and more on the job as opposed to on other jobs and if I end up not being able to do anything so be it. I'd rather run around soloing and suffering as a job I like than sheeping my way around on jobs I don't even care about just to appease an overly elitist community.

Frankly SE should be ashamed of themselves for allowing that miserable mentality to fester. I love crunching numbers, but damned if they couldn't have done things to avoid having jobs like Red Mage and Paladin become completely outcasts.
    (2)
    Somewhere in space... this could be happening right now.

Character
    Unineko
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 91
    I have played Run up to 55 so far, and I have to disagree with the people saying it needs more defense. I was soloing gigas in upper Delkfutt's tower, harboring Tellus twice, and keeping Barthunder up. I found that their lightning roar skill, which would normally hit me for well over 100 dmg, suddenly only does single digit damage, Thunder elementals were a joke, being practically unable to do any serious damage to me. As far as physical damage is concerned, you already have the highest parrying rate of any job, and you tend to evade many attacks (and evading even more while Swordplay is up)

Run is a magic tank, and in that department, it's better than pld. It's all about knowing what element your enemy is strong in, and playing the runes and barspells strong to that element.
    (0)

my bow has been silent for too long.

Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard319 View Post
    I have played Run up to 55 so far, and I have to disagree with the people saying it needs more defense. I was soloing gigas in upper Delkfutt's tower, harboring Tellus twice, and keeping Barthunder up. I found that their lightning roar skill, which would normally hit me for well over 100 dmg, suddenly only does single digit damage, Thunder elementals were a joke, being practically unable to do any serious damage to me. As far as physical damage is concerned, you already have the highest parrying rate of any job, and you tend to evade many attacks (and evading even more while Swordplay is up)

Run is a magic tank, and in that department, it's better than pld. It's all about knowing what element your enemy is strong in, and playing the runes and barspells strong to that element.
    That's cool but at level 99 pld, nin, and a few other jobs are much better as tanks. The hate gain by Run is lack. It would make good sense for a sword master like rune fencer to have more damage dealing abilities... more stances like swordplay but for dealing damage as opposed to our already decent accuracy.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing better ways to keep up with mp, and with that said, more Run specific spells to utilize in helping to tank/build hate. Regen 4 is good. Perhaps, a spells that directs ga spells only at the Run but absorbs the dmg iof any element... like celes. sounds OP, but Run needs something OP to get on par with other jobs.
    (0)

Character
    Tennotsukai
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I hate typing on my phone...
    (0)

Character
    Akutenshi
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    RUN may not be able to soak up a lot of physical damage, but there is enough -pdt gear for RUN that can mitigate a lot of damage. With a healer they shouldn't have too much trouble. Works fine in Salvage II although somewhat lacking in dps department, but that's expected. I don't think the job is perfect, but just off the bat there is the elemental trial gs RUN can use for for -pdt and some gear. The GS is -13%, wiglen gorgen is -6% (does add magic damage but that shouldn't be a problem with RUN) and flume belt that's -4% and turns some damage into mp. I believe 2%. That's 23% of -pdt right there in three slots. There are also other gear that can be worn in various body pieces that should be able to reach cap. This doesn't solve the issue at lower levels but at 99 it isn't as bad I've found. Job does still need work though. Hopefully the merits will be good and add more hate tools. Fast Cast set for RUN is pretty much a must as well. Very helpful.
    (0)

Character
    Orakio
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    The Problem is that Rune essentially needs to be wearing 3 different sets of gear at the same time, which basically isn't possible. The lack of inherently high defenses means you definitely need a -pdt set for physical damage on tough encounter that require a true tank. The lack of real threat mechanics means you need a tp/dd set to maintain threat, and the fact that you are a semi-casting based job without full uptime on foil/stonskin/etc. means that you additionally probably want a fast cast set to help with recast times.

Looking at it another way, you can cover one or two weaknesses of rune fencer at moment through subjobs and gear but not all of them at once. This is much like drg who suffers as a dd because it can either get +attack from /war or +JA haste from /sam, but not both simultaneously leading to sub-par damage for a 2h DD. A rune can gear and subjob for physical damage mitigation for example as run/nin, but going to miss out on the threat tools of MAB for lunges, fast cast for stoneskin/foil, and melee damage to offset their total lack of physical dd tools. Covering the weaknesses of Rune is needed to catch up to Paladin/Ninja as real tank options but isn't possible to get all your needs at once at the moment.

This isn't to say rune is bad, it just needs SOMETHING out of it's merits that increases one or two of the shortcomings of rune fencer to free up subjob options and gearing options somewhat so that they can maintain solid (but not top tier) physical mitigation without totally sacrificing the other needs of the job.
    (1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2