Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Volkai View Post
    Samba + Enspell + weapon En-effect = probably not something the dev team is willing to allow.

Or, Blood Weapon + Haste Samba + Endark + Additional Effect: Death, for that matter.
    Thats funny actually because none of that is overpowered in the least bit. Death only works on weak mobs, endark is for attack, haste samba is worthless most of the time because your capping JA Haste with Last Resort, and Blood Weapon is a two hour, there is no reason that should not be acceptable.
    (3)

Character
    Volkai
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Thats funny actually because none of that is overpowered in the least bit. Death only works on weak mobs, endark is for attack, haste samba is worthless most of the time because your capping JA Haste with Last Resort, and Blood Weapon is a two hour, there is no reason that should not be acceptable.
    Okay how about Blood Weapon + Aspir Samba + Endark + Additional Effect: Blindness
    (0)
    "Don't take life too seriously, you can't get out of it alive."

Adoulin is installed but still not lighting up on your title screen? Here's what to do:
    Go to https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/login?cont=account and log in, then Select Service >>> PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI >>> Add a service account (blue button) >>> input expansion software registration code.

Player
    Okay how about Blood Weapon + Aspir Samba + Endark + Additional Effect: Blindness
    Blood Weapon is again not over powered because it is a very long recast, Aspir Samba is ok because DRKs do not have any overpowering things they can get out of the extra MP. Endark is still basically for the extra attack, and Apoc additional effect is from a relic, more than deserved after all of the work someone has to put into such a weapon.
    (1)

Character
    Volkai
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    The issue is not that any single one of these things is overpowered, but having four additional effects going off on top of weapon damage is, especially if you have that weapon swinging rapidly.
    (1)

Adoulin is installed but still not lighting up on your title screen? Here's what to do:
    Go to https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/login?cont=account and log in, then Select Service >>> PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI >>> Add a service account (blue button) >>> input expansion software registration code.

Character
    Volkai
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    If any additional effect would stack on another non-identical additional effect a Rune Fencer could stack three different elements of additional effect damage from Runes plus a fourth from an Enspell plus a Samba effect.

Stack all of that on dual wielding Occ. Atk. X times weapons and the crap damage they do becomes irrelevant.
    (0)

Player
    If any additional effect would stack on another non-identical additional effect a Rune Fencer could stack three different elements of additional effect damage from Runes plus a fourth from an Enspell plus a Samba effect.

Stack all of that on dual wielding Occ. Atk. X times weapons and the crap damage they do becomes irrelevant.
    So your talking about a tank job using a weapon type that does not exist for it, and even if it did or you had something like Kclub you are feeding a mob a load of TP which will get you killed, that sounds more suicidal than overpowered. I am still waiting for the unfair super combo of additional effects that will be so broken it becomes unfair. Using old en-shaving tactics are not unfair, they are weak now days especially by what you are talking about. I understand the idea of how some of the effects may seem overpowered, but I have yet to see any combo of effects which would really be overpowered in practice.
    (2)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    So your talking about a tank job using a weapon type that does not exist for it, and even if it did or you had something like Kclub you are feeding a mob a load of TP which will get you killed, that sounds more suicidal than overpowered. I am still waiting for the unfair super combo of additional effects that will be so broken it becomes unfair. Using old en-shaving tactics are not unfair, they are weak now days especially by what you are talking about. I understand the idea of how some of the effects may seem overpowered, but I have yet to see any combo of effects which would really be overpowered in practice.
    The point is there's no reason why additional effects should stack. There's just absolutely no reason for it -- Frankly, there's no reason why people should be clamoring for RUN to sub Dancer, either. I do perfectly fine solo'ing with /WHM and /PLD as long as I keep aquaveil fresh between fights, hell even when I'm /SAM an Embolden'd Protect IV, Phalanx, and Regen IV works quite fine. As far as tanking goes, the job needs more gear and probably some merit abilities before that's a practical possibility.

There's absolutely nothing of substance to be gained by allowing Additional effects to stack -- most of the additional effects are incredibly limited in their usefulness as-is, and stacking them will never have any real benefit. It's like saying you should be able to stack Protect IV and Protect V together, except at least that would have some practical use.
    (0)
    Somewhere in space... this could be happening right now.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    There's absolutely nothing of substance to be gained by allowing Additional effects to stack -- most of the additional effects are incredibly limited in their usefulness as-is, and stacking them will never have any real benefit. It's like saying you should be able to stack Protect IV and Protect V together, except at least that would have some practical use.
    Well, lets see, for a DRK they could gain the additional effects of their Apoc actually blinding a mob for them, added with their normal WS to allow for ever greater survival, where as right now they often give that up for Endark's attack bonus. RDMs and PLDs have a similar problem with Excalibur, where their En-spells must be avoided to take advantage of Excalibur's effect. Many other weapons are of a similar nature, where you must choose between them, sometimes I can understand, in the event of relics which take quite a bit of effort more than the average weapon, I believe this should be different. In the event of additional effects being given by a long recast ability such as Blood Weapon they should also be adjusted to be allowed to stack. The last of these exceptions should be in cases like RUN, where an additional effect ability is a great feature of the job, which restricts them greatly in their use of additional effects. In RUN's case why should a job be so restricted from additional effects on weapons and other abilities due to its design? It seems to me as though it should be exempt from such problems since they stem from its design itself.
    (0)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Irrelevant stuff

EDIT:

I'm going to just accept not understanding why this matters and leave it at that.
    (1)
    Last edited by Horadrim; 04-03-2013 at 04:00 AM.
    Somewhere in space... this could be happening right now.

Character
    Losie
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 75
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    The point is there's no reason why additional effects should stack. There's just absolutely no reason for it -- Frankly, there's no reason why people should be clamoring for RUN to sub Dancer, either. I do perfectly fine solo'ing with /WHM and /PLD as long as I keep aquaveil fresh between fights, hell even when I'm /SAM an Embolden'd Protect IV, Phalanx, and Regen IV works quite fine. As far as tanking goes, the job needs more gear and probably some merit abilities before that's a practical possibility.

No, that isn't the point, you just keep trying to come up with extreme situations to prove your point.

Unless a dev straight out says "only one additional effect should ever work, ever, and that is how it should work," then it's fair to discuss this. Should Sambas and rune fencer's abilities and such stuck? I don't know, should cocoon and protect? Why can you double up on def, but not additional effects? The obvious answer is the way the engine is programmed. Maybe people would care more about some weapons with additional effects IF stacking were viable.

It's also worth noting that Runes take precedence OVER any weapon affects, so.. hope there's not any snazzy additional effect things out there, because runes prevent them from ever working ( I had assumed the weapon would overtake whenever it proc'd, but not so. )

But yeah, you've got a weird standpoint based on some baseless assumptions. There is something of substance, and that is to allow better synergy between a few jobs and the way they interact in groups and as main/sub, and also to make weapons with additional effects more generally useful and interesting.
    (1)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast