Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Geomancer design confusion.

Im not every high with Geo, but im confused as to why they are made into a typical background mage. Yes they are mainly buffers and nukers (pretty weak from what ive seen, wont find much use it seems) but half the point of the job is the auras and placement.

since i have indi on that is around me to help people fighting the mobs, why is geo so physically weak? if your intention was from the job to be up close, why not at least allow them to be halfway decent melee jobs (more like DNC i suppose) so standing near a mob to give others the buff is not just sitting in AoE range waiting to get plowed down.

I get you can always use the geo- versions, but many of what ive gotten so far are more for melee players up from. Was really hoping the job would have been like the FFT version that wore lighter DD gear and used axes to fight.

also thanks for making me have to sit outside of town spamming the spells (because you wont be in fights) just to level 2 separate skills while RUN has none to skill up (not sure why runes done have their own skill)
    (5)

Character
    Luvbunny
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    So far I am pretty disappointed with Geomancer. A job that is a little bit of this and a little bit of that but really brings nothing much to the table. Seriously, on a small party set up, for example: Meeble Burrrow, would you give up your spot for Scholar or White Mage or Black Mage for Geo? A Scholar + Bard probably would do well for a small set up. Where you need top healer and magic damage reduction, White Mage probably would be your top choice. As a buffer + healer + nuker on the fly, Scholar does a much better job than geomancer. This just remind me of how Scholar was when it was introduced, until they made some major tweaking. Geomancer should be able to have 3 luopans and 2 self buff spells, and they should give it a regain spells up to 3 tic at max skill levels. The job reminds me of Shaman in WoW but Shaman is designed a whole lot better than Geomancer. As it is now, its is sorely lacking and a wasted spot in party.
    (0)

Player
    GEO reminds me of SCH when it first came out. Didn't really have a purpose, and any unique qualities it had were too weak.

I only see Indi being handy for supporting yourself and the other support/healer with you, and use Geo- on the DDs. An update or two will be needed to give the job some proper perks, merits, gear, and buffs the potency of their spells. Maybe some T5 nukes also.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I'm not dissapointed with GEO at all. The main reason some of the effects seem underwhelming is because most people don't have anywhere near capped skill. the effects are stronger with higher skill. The -ra nukes are actually pretty decent, and the job has some unique boffs/debuffs that weren't seen much/at all previously.

As far as analogy, I would liken it to BRD + BLM in the same way that COR is like BRD + RNG.

Still, it has some intricacy to it that the other related jobs don't have. I feel like I made the right choice out of the two.
    (10)

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    It's good to hear the -ra nukes are decent. Though is that with or without Magic attack traits?

My biggest thing I don't like bout GEO is that it seems to need to be close to the mobs to be at its most effective, but the gear it gets currently doesn't help support that much.

Its an enjoyable job, just looks to be in an unusual spot currently due to how everything about it works at the moment.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklaser View Post
    It's good to hear the -ra nukes are decent. Though is that with or without Magic attack traits?

My biggest thing I don't like bout GEO is that it seems to need to be close to the mobs to be at its most effective, but the gear it gets currently doesn't help support that much.

Its an enjoyable job, just looks to be in an unusual spot currently due to how everything about it works at the moment.
    Its with absolutely nothing. No useful gear, no stat buffs, no MAB, nothing.

When you learn Stonera, it blows every other nuke you have out of the water by a massive margin, and the same for the others as you learn them.

Put simply, they're not pathetic like cura was.
    (1)

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Its not hard to blow tier 1 nukes out of the water. But even better to hear that was without MAB stuff. Have any experience with the tier 2 -ra's? Mainly how they hold up compared to the the other end game nukes?

Will have to wait and see how the -ra's do, and if they are really good it may make the armor options GEO gets make more sense. If the damage is there, long with the utility GEO can provide via its buffs/debuffs the squishy-ness + mob nearness would be acceptable.
    (0)

Character
    Kheper
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 1
    I have a strong feeling they're just watching to see how the playerbase uses GEO and RUN, then they'll be adjusting them to be more effective later. Like others said, SCH had it rough at first, and it was buffed not long after.

But yeah, like most people are saying, GEO needs to be in the thick of things yet all they get is flimsy mage gear. I'm hoping SE realizes that and puts them on light armor sets like BLU and RDM can wear, and set GEO up with some unique defensive spells and abilities so they can be up front.

Wouldn't hurt to bump GEO up to A+ club, too.
    (2)

At this early stage it's very difficult to fully assess either job since many of the JAs haven't been put to use extensively enough to tell how effective they are. On top of that, no one really knows what equipment would make either job more effective at what they do. Also, I suspect people are trying to play these jobs as if they were any of the 20 previous jobs. That, in my view, might only serve to add to confusion and misinformation (Think back to the introduction of SCH and PUP, though S-E had more than a small hand in the latter debacle). I personally have no intention of leveling either job until more information comes in as to their functions in battle and the effective uses of their abilities and spells.
    (0)
    Hayward: Cerberus-San d'Oria

5/5 +1: Cirque [4/5], Tantra [4/5], Ferine [4/5], Estoqueur's [1/5], Sylvan, Navarch's [1/5], Savant's, Orison [1/5], Charis [2/5]

5/5 +2: Creed, Caller's, Unkai, Iga, Raider's, Lancer's, Mavi, Ravager's, Goetia, Bale, Aoidos'

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
    At this early stage it's very difficult to fully assess either job since many of the JAs haven't been put to use extensively enough to tell how effective they are.
    This I would agree on, but it is much easier to access where RUN stands currently than GEO. And would be even easier if traditional XP parties were still around. For RUN, since its design goal was to be a tank for magic damage, things to access it by is can it hold hate on normal mobs well enough for a group to kill said mob, and against magic heavy mobs does it do better than NIN and PLD? Other than that it would be a more generic DD and just needs to keep pace.

GEO, however, has quite a bit more that complicates things for it.
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast